Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

php, mysql question's

Options
  • 06-07-2005 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

im using php and mysql.

i have two databases, one is "bridge", the other is "message".

bridge holds the content for my site whereas message holds tables for phpbb. my first question is, should the phpbb tables be in the bridge db?

secondly on my homepage, im extracting info from bridge db. further down the page i need to connect to the message db to get the last few messages posted. the table in question is "phpbb_topics".

when i use "or die" the error tells me that the table "bridge.phpbb_topics" doesnt exist. so basically after closing the first connection, im trying to connect to the message database but it is actually connecting the bridge db and looking for the table. it should be "message.phpbb_topics".

of course this will turn out to be something simple, but any help appreciated.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

I use 1 db for phpBB and one for my content

for the second issue, are you actually re-selecting which db to use with something like this?

"mysql_select_db("message",$db);"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

As long as you use two different connections (or don't access them from the same pages), it should probably be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

yeah im using two different connections. but it keeps referring to the original connection. i installed phpbb via my control panel, i.e. the software is part of the hosting package and i dont think it gave me an option to install in current db. i may be wrong as this sis the first time i have installed it.

when i installed it on my local machine, i installed it in the current db and it worked fine. i have since replaced this problem with a nice little gif! so its not crucial but i am curious nonetheless.

im going to go way out on a limb here and submit this site for your approval/disapproval. please be gentle as this is just my fourth site. considering the first two were static i would consider this my first site.

www.leighlinbridge-village.com

what ye think? be gentle, but tell me what i need to know also.

actually seen as ye are going to be having a look, the css im applying to the links works fine in explorer and firefox except on the homepage. here it only works with firefox. would this have anything to do with where i place the <span>?

also i should point out there google adsense ads on this site and i am not trying to improve my cpm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

www.leighlinbridge-village.com

what ye think? be gentle, but tell me what i need to know also.

actually seen as ye are going to be having a look, the css im applying to the links works fine in explorer and firefox except on the homepage. here it only works with firefox. would this have anything to do with where i place the <span>?

Why oh why are you using CSS *and* the FONT tag? If you fix that I'll have a look at the CSS problem, but not before.
    yeah im using two different connections. but it keeps referring to the original connection.

Can you post some code then? Its not that I don't believe you, but that just sounds wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

im a complete newbie to css. i only read up on how to change the linkage. it completely slipped my mind that i could just use css instead of the font tag, do'h.

i should have time to change that tomorrow and ill give you a shout then.

thanks

wmj

• Advertisement
Advertisement