Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ganking??

Options
  • 06-07-2005 1:46pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭

a question to you high lvl people who come to low lvl area's, why?

seriously, whats the point? you get no honour (or at least very little), and you just end up annoying people. as i write, darkshire is being attacked by 4 horde, at least one lvl60, and they have been here for about an hour. and i know alliance characters do it as well. so.....why?

now i know its a PvP server, and people will go on about how if i dont wanna PvP, then go to a PvE server. but i like PvP, but thats not what this is. this is P(ganks the **** out of low lvl guys)P

rant over

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I was going to say your over reacting, but then you said it was a PvP server. Personally I've gone to low lvl areas once or twice with friends to see if we can successfully take on the guards. We do it in low lvl areas since theres less of a chance of high lvl enemy being there and trying to defend.

The only low lvl peeps we kill are the ones who are stupid enough to turn their PvP on and try to attack us. The only reason I can think why people gank low lvl players is just to annoy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

I was going to say your over reacting, but then you said it was a PvP server. Personally I've gone to low lvl areas once or twice with friends to see if we can successfully take on the guards. We do it in low lvl areas since theres less of a chance of high lvl enemy being there and trying to defend.
    Being on a PvP server is not an excuse to be an asshole. Blizzard actually acknowledges this kind of grieving as a problem and makes the game not fun. Battleground is meant to alleviate this problem by offering an alternative to random ganking with rewards. But there will always be idiots who think it's fun. Nothing more infuriating than a lvl??? killing you then spitting on your corpse.
    The only low lvl peeps we kill are the ones who are stupid enough to turn their PvP on and try to attack us. The only reason I can think why people gank low lvl players is just to annoy them.
    This also happens in contested areas where you don't have your PvP flag off. It's because immature people finds it rewarding winning no matter how. That's why you have people attacking you when they have a big advantage like differences in levels, they outnumber you or you are already fighting a mob.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

i spent 2 years being a pirate in eve so i think its perfectly understandable...

tbh the only thing more satisfying than killing someone in pvp is having them flame you for doing it. i had so many fun times in eve ganking people and i am surprised that it even exists in WoW (which i regard as a very passive game).

the reason high lvl's go into low lvl areas to gank people is because they can. and i am going to level with you about it...dont give them the satisfaction of flaming about it...just hope they dont gank you...its game mechanics and thats the way it is....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

pirating in eve is different though. to be killed by a pirate, you have to chose to go into .4 or lower space. people can quite happily spend all their game time in .5 and above space, being almost perfectly safe from pirates. its not possible to do that in WoW, since as soon as you reach about lvl18, you are in contested territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Hate they way lvl ?? rogues do it. They put all the effort into stealthing up behind you kill u in a few hits, get no reward then laugh. oh lolz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I have to agree.

Before when there was no reward, I could understand; You were bored.
    Then they added an honour system, I could understand; You wanted to lure out higher levels, to get honour.
    Now there are Battlegrounds, I cant understand; If you want to PvP go there, there is almost always a decent group there at peak times. Why do you go out of your way to hit 3-4 buttons, which essentially instantly kill me. What possible hollow satisfaction could you get from that.

Killing a lowbie because you can, when you could just kill the similarly leveled people in a BG says to me; I dont think I am capable of defeating my peers, so I'm going to gank you for a bit.

Pathetic, imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Nothing annoyed me more than having about 4-5 Horde camping the roof in Darkshire.. just ganking everyone and killing the guards from the roof without being able to get hit.

COWARDS! When i hit 60 i'm going to stv to gank low (40+) Horde. Jesus Christ knows they did it to me enough when i tried to quest there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

ah, thats where i was. bloody horde on the roof. i cant even manage to get up there. was nice fearing one of them off the roof though, even of he did kill me after :rolleyes:

and why do rogues hate my warlock so much?

but one thing i wont do, is gank them back. as much as i would sometimes like to, if we do it to the lower lvl horde, they'll just do it back. its a viscious cycle :)

Rogues just love cloth wearers because we're so squishy and go down so quick :(

DRakE wrote:
    COWARDS! When i hit 60 i'm going to stv to gank low (40+) Horde. Jesus Christ knows they did it to me enough when i tried to quest there.

The level 40's you gank kill you when you were 40...?
    Uh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Killing mobs from roofs where they can't hit you back is illegal by the way.

I had great hopes for BG taking out much of the ganking (and to be fair it has), but I think for most people sitting on a bridge blasting spells at the other side for a few hours is not what they were hoping for when people thought of PvP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

DRakE wrote:

Well theres the reason tbh..
    It is the vicious cycle. All the way up the levels most people have been ganked, and now that lots of people are getting to the stage that ganking their character is not as easy as it used to be, they are getting revenge. At 57 I can escape a group of 3 60's with moderate success.

We are all guilty of it and all will be guilty of it for some time to come...
    Christ my char is lvl 57 now.. and I still get ganked.

2 things happened yesterday evening.

I went to Lights Hope Chapel to hand in a quest. There were 6 alliance lvl 60's ganking any horde that moved. Took 4 tries to hand in the quest, and when I eventually did I legged it.

Second thing was when I was in Thunder Bluff, I saw that Bloodhoof was under attack in the World defense channel. I went down to find a lv 37(ish) and a lvl 42 rogue ganking lvl 12 players. So I ganked and corpse camped em for a while, what goes around comes around.

Having said that, occasionally when theres no groups going anywhere I go wandering in STV or other areas.. I prefer to take on groups of 2 or 3 alliance, but occasionally I will wtfpwn lone players.
    Why ?
    Because it was done to me.. That simple.

There is always somewhere else to quest or something else to do, thats why there is more than one area for your lvl range to quest/grind in. If both/all the areas are being ganked go collect materials for your profession or grab a group for an instance..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SavageCabbage

Ivan wrote:
    Now there are Battlegrounds, I cant understand; If you want to PvP go there, there is almost always a decent group there at peak times. Why do you go out of your way to hit 3-4 buttons, which essentially instantly kill me. What possible hollow satisfaction could you get from that

Yes but getting to a battleground requires effort...
    and because of that less people try so queues are longer.
    1.6 is going to have a battlemaster in IF and Darnassus for Alliance and oggrimar I think for horde.
    This will help, but what I think we should be pushing for is a battlemaster in every city and a "recruiting officer" in every town where the zone is high enough level.

Also battlegrounds should be common accross all realms. that would increase the number of players dramatically and ensure much shorter queues...

But I suppose the chances of sorting that out any time soon are slim.

SC

Another oddity I've seen recently is lvl30ish Allaince characters going into the Ruins above Undercity and turn their pvp on and just stand there.

Surely they know they are going to be destructed by anyone passing, I don't really understand why they do it. Perhaps they are inviting ganking so they have something to give out about? *boggle*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Another oddity I've seen recently is lvl30ish Allaince characters going into the Ruins above Undercity and turn their pvp on and just stand there.

Surely they know they are going to be destructed by anyone passing, I don't really understand why they do it. Perhaps they are inviting ganking so they have something to give out about? *boggle*

They'll have a number of lvl 60 rogues/druids/shadowmelded NElfs stealthed nearby waiting for silly hordies to attack the bait before stomping them.

quozl wrote:
    They'll have a number of lvl 60 rogues/druids/shadowmelded NElfs stealthed nearby waiting for silly hordies to attack the bait before stomping them.
    Seen a good few get engaged but there was never any Rogue's / NE's in stealth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

quozl wrote:
    I've seen a few of these level 30 Alliance-fags just outside the Undercity with their PvP switched on. I normally ignore them but I ganked one the other day. No one was waiting in the shadows.

Must be an Alliance self hate thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

I guess how people behave in the game is one some way a reflection of their personality.

Go around lowbie areas ganking players 30 lvls below you, just because you can or because it happened to you before? what does that say about you?

I generally find it a total waste of time ganking greys. Just pointless. I got ganked countless times on my way up to currently lvl 59 but I don't feel the need to go running around zones 20, 30 lvls below me to kill opposition players.

What pimp ninja said about seeing a lvl 40 ish attacking lvl 12 players in mulgore is the one situation that'd annoy me enough to attack em and corpse camp em for a while. maybe that just encourages them to do it more....but it's my reaction to seeing someone being a prat

Most people are okay in the game but there will be always be a minority of people that are griefers who get their kicks from killing lowbies. Battlegrounds will never satisfy them. When poeple say if you don't like the PVP you should play on a PvE server I think they miss out on the point that the way zones are graded it was intended for players of similar lvls to fight each other not total mismatches of about 25 lvls between players. I know that since I finished in STV I haven't been back to it. I'd rather be fighting players my own lvl in say winterspring.

Oh by the way, who's Glinghorn from boards? nailed him twice in winterspring the other day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Oh by the way, who's Glinghorn from boards? nailed him twice in winterspring the other day
    Discusions about in-game cybering shouldn't be posted on these forums. Oh and it's Logic1 by the way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Interesting, Glinghorn from bored of ie?

Edit: bah loud mouth Quozl. Also I was in Winterspring recently questing but only got ganked once while grinding yeti. Had 15% health and tanking two Yeti when some twat hunter and his hordie mate came along and ganked me from behind.

Is that twat infact you? I noticed they made a quick exit after being taken apart several time by me and a mage that wandered along.

.logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

DRakE wrote:

I doubt you would be able to gank anybody no matter what level you were :rolleyes:

Ouch. Whats with the hate?

Oh and Ivan I meant that I'd go back as 60 and kill 40s in ST:V like 60s killed me when I was 40s.

Clear enough?

I really wanna play some wow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

logic1 wrote:
    Is that twat infact you? I noticed they made a quick exit after being taken apart several time by me and a mage that wandered along.

.logic.

/owned

i think its called a PvE server? :rollears:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

I cant kill anything and rarely get killed.

Its a vicous cycle being a paladin

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

logic1 wrote:
    Interesting, Glinghorn from bored of ie?

Edit: bah loud mouth Quozl. Also I was in Winterspring recently questing but only got ganked once while grinding yeti. Had 15% health and tanking two Yeti when some twat hunter and his hordie mate came along and ganked me from behind.

.logic.

no, it was more like you had 2% health, were fighting 10 yets and had 15 hordies attack you.......yeahrite

I'll give credit for fearing me into a feared me into a bunch of yeti's and the imp killed my pet not before I sent you on a quick visit to the graveyard. god you ran away as fast as your wee gnome legs could take ya. Funny how you and the mage took me apart seeing as you were both dead at the time. get yer facts right

/pwned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

WoW hate.

Class.

Let's all just get CS on everyone.

pwned n00bs gg.

You missed my point. Its not the same people playing the level 40's that were playing the 60's that ganked you. So whats the point? Your just perpetuating the hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

wow dubhthamlacht you msut be like.................. 12? -.-

and clearly pro like memnoch.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Caliden, always in with the snappy little comments on people. Stop it. Seriously. Everyone can take a bloody chill pill and stop being an angry little so-and-so.

I'm going to start hitting people with hard sticks if you don't start acting like adults.

Advertisement