Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up Broadband!

• 06-07-2005 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Help!! Got a new laptop and want to get Broadband. We currently live in Ringsend and have a phone socket that is not connected (we don't use it). Whats the best package to get hooked up without paying the eircom line rental fee of 24 euro then the broadband on top of that???
    Would WIFI be a solution
    Thanks!!
    L

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Just found myself in same situation, unconnected line/socket and new laptop to play with :)

I just got BT BB with line rental. Admittedly, I did have to sign-up with eircom for line rental first, then apply to BT for both. But at €35 for 1st 4 months (2MB BB) and €50 thereafter, its a great deal. Considering Irish BB are offering 2MB for around €48 a month. Same difference if you ask me, but I'd prefer the wired version, less risk of failure/dropped service (or am I wrong anybody, not sure on this point?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Given the amount of problems people in Dublin seem to be hving with IBB I'd say the wired solution would be the better option. That is if the line passes the test or course. Go with BT then as the price is a lot better for line rental and broadband.

Eircom will often connect your line for free, depends on if they are running ther offer at the time or not, but the charge is only €27 I think if not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Ringsend is in the Beggars Bush exchange which happens to be an exchange in which Smart Telecom are live in.

Just to be sure though, I'd get a number from your neighbour and run it through the line checker on the website.

Oh yeah and they pay your line rental for you too, which is pretty nifty I must admit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Advertisement