Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interpreting dreams

Options
  • 06-07-2005 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

I barely ever dream properly most of the time i have lucid dreams/ travel in my sleep, but the last three nights i've been having these really vivid dreams where i'm particapting in them as oppose to being in control of them. and i've got people from my past returning like archetypes of who they are as oppose to being them selfs.

I'm getting the feeling my unconcious is trying to tell me something but i'm having difficulty seeing what its trying to say.

Has anyone any advice on either getting better in touch with my unconcious or interpreting them
    Emmet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Aupster

have a **** and your thoughts will be clear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Aupster, thos type of comments are not tolerated here.
    This is a friendly warning,
    Please read the charter,
    Have a nice day.
    Thaed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭arrietty

I barely ever dream properly most of the time i have lucid dreams/ travel in my sleep, but the last three nights i've been having these really vivid dreams where i'm particapting in them as oppose to being in control of them. and i've got people from my past returning like archetypes of who they are as oppose to being them selfs.

I'm getting the feeling my unconcious is trying to tell me something but i'm having difficulty seeing what its trying to say.

Has anyone any advice on either getting better in touch with my unconcious or interpreting them
    Emmet
    First of all, write down your dreams as soon as you wake up. It helps if you keep your eyes closed while you're writing, by the way, although there's a bit of a knack to this. :) This means you can go back and review the dreams, and re-reading your immediate recollections can trigger interesting things later on.
    I find that most dream dictionaries are completely useless. You know, the ones like "if you dream of ducks, it means you're feeling homesick".
    There are some good books out there, though. I read Jung's memoirsy-sort book, Memories, Dreams, Reflections, and although it's long and clunky in parts, it's very interesting for an insight into the experiences of someone who took his dreams extremely seriously. Kinda showed the process of interpretation that he used, too, although it's not an instruction manual.

If you reckon your unconscious is trying to tell you something, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it is, it may take you a while to figure out what it is. And let your subconscious do the work, too. What I mean by this is: when thinking about the dreams, IMO you need to think in a relaxed, free-associating sort of way. Don't try to apply too much logic, although logical thinking may of course be needed too. And the answers might just appear out of nowhere. Good luck. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I think some dream books are useful when it comes to basics like dreaming about water, or death. Death meaning a new beginning and water meaning somethign else that is totally opposite. A quick google search and you can come up with many finds.

I have a lot of vivid dreams, a lot of the time. I only interpret them sometimes. A dream diary is a great idea though. Very useful. A trick I was thought by a wise man was to focus on one thing that was quite prominant, and that will remind you of other things in the dream. You can either use this for memory, or to re-enter the dream, you just have to think of it.

I used to have one dream I liked having so I would dream it all the time as I went to sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 cammy

I've always found that people appearing in my dreams never represent those people but qualities I associate with those people. If they appear like 'archetypes' then I said this true moreso.

(I've often dreamt about one person when actually the dream is about somebody else!)
    Emmet

I'd recommend "Living Your Dreams" by Gayle Delaney.

It's isn't a dream dictionary or anything like that but a pschyologists look at what dreams are (and how to use them... thats the 'self-help' bit).

She describes a very open technique for interpreting dreams which involves figuring out what the underlying symbolism means to you. Some symbols are universal like Water and Death but most others are totally relative to you.

You can also 'seed' your dreams. Before you go bed, form a question that will be the seed of your dreams. Write this down on a peice of paper or your dream journal if you keep one. While falling asleep try to repeat the question to yourself again and again. So you could ask something specific of your dreams such as "what do the people from the past mean?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Anyone know what dreaming of seelie / unseelie fae might mean?

Advertisement