Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite Fight?

• 06-07-2005 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

This is physical combat, not gun fights and not big battles.

I don't think I've seen a better fight on screen than the one at the end of the House of Flying daggers, its amazing, and their relationships are all tied in, makes it a much better fight.

Other fights in movies I like are:
    The Bride vs. Elle Drive in Kill Bill 2
    Ethan Hunt vs. Sean Ambrose in M.I.2
    Achilles vs. Hector in Troy
    Peter, Samir & Michael vs. the Copy Machine in Office Space.
    Dae-su Oh vs. A LOT of people in the corridor scene
    The Burly Brawl in Matrix Reloaded, well all Neo vs. Agent Smith fights really.

I was really expecting to love the dual at the end of Revenge of the Sith, but instead it bored the **** out of me. It was nice, I'll admit, but I don't think they were really aiming at what they should of been, big let down. I actually like the Darth Maul fight in Phantom Menace a lot better.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭p~b

the karate kid movies all have good fight scenes

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The fight scnenes in Gladiator are very good with the amazing backdrop of the colleseum. The matrix and House of flying daggers are all done on wires. No fun if you ask me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If big dirty robots are allowed then it would have to be Asuka against the mass produced Eva series in End of Evangelion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

The scene in the park in police story II, with the bat..
    anything with jackie chan....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

fights involving the main man indiana jones

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Kingp35 wrote:
    The fight scnenes in Gladiator are very good with the amazing backdrop of the colleseum. The matrix and House of flying daggers are all done on wires. No fun if you ask me

Yeah I forgot about the Gladiator ones, especially the recreation one where the outcome was different.

I dont think House of Flying Daggers had as much wire work as the Matrix and the likes of Hero etc. And I don't think the last fight had any at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Fist of Legend - Opening scene (so many dislocated joints :)) and final fight scene.
    Drunken Master - So'Hai(sp?) in the restaraunt
    Gladiator - Final fight
    Twin Warriors -
    the fight they get outcast at
    Shaolin Temple - The fight by the river, and the large fight at the temple near the end.

Thats most of them anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Has to be the Quiet Man . Best fight ever! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Gorgeous - Jackie Chan

Awful film but THE best fight scenes you will ever see you your life. About 3 of em, all with the same guy, one of Jacki Chans stunt team if i remember correctly. He's even smaller than Chan.

Seriously people, if you haven't seen this then get it and skip to the fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

The Boromir/Urukhai/Aragorn fight at the end of the Fellowship (extended). Brilliant. Perfect end to a perfect film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Juggalo

All the fight scens in Ong-Bak, simply amazing.

The fight on the ladders in Once Upon a Time in China.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon - Fight between the two women

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The fights in the fight club in Ong Bak.
    The house of Blue Leaves in Kill Bill Vol.1
    The scene in Equilibrium when they are in the Nether and Preston kicks the crap out of all the guards.
    The rave at the start at Blade 1.

More to come probably, I can't seem to think of many right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I really liked the side-scrolling fight in the corridor scene in Oldboy

Worst fight: pistol slapping in Equilibrium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The scene in the park in police story II, with the bat..
    anything with jackie chan....

That was incredible...the way hes using all the bars as cover and flying about the place.

Hmmm....Red Wolf has some great scenes, as does the Black Sheep Affair and Meltdown. Police Story also, Avenging fist is decent as well, I have alot of them upstairs but cant think of any more. Tbh western films are lacking in breathtaking fight scenes.

/Other posts reminded me. I second Gorgoreus and Ong-Bak!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Hard Boiled - brilliant OTT scenes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Rocky balboa v Ivan Drago............pure class in a ring

...is he gonna win....is he gonna win.........HHHEEEEE WWOOOOOOOON!!!!!!

fair play to stallone he really could build up the tension in all four of the Rocky films (I pretend the fifth dosnt exist)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They Live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

koneko wrote:
    Worst fight: pistol slapping in Equilibrium
    I was originally angry you were dissing Equilibrium but I think I agree. Something didn't work about it. Maybe it was that the other guy looked like he couldn't even run quickly nevermind be in a fast paced gun fight like that.

The other fights in it were very good though.

My favourite fight would have to be from The Matrix. Maybe the Agent Fight in the train station. I just can't decide.

You realise the fight in the train station was just ripped from the Black Sheep Affair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I don't really care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

The Neo Smith fights in all their incarnations specifically when its just the two of them. I liked Helms Deep alot too although thats not a fight as such. Pretty much anything in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was good.

There was another film with good fights, directed by Quentin Tarantino, didn't like the film but the fights were great. Jet Li was involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

The very last fight between Agent Smith and Neo would be my favourite Matrix fight, just because it blows you away the first time you see it. It is kind of on the shortish side, it should of been longer, but still really good, epic sort of fight.

The fights in Spider-Man 1 and 2 are pretty good, could be better though.

Not a film, but close, the fights in MGS3 1+3 deserve mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

They Live

Uh huh if you mean in the Alley defintley best fight scene in a movie , better than ong bak any Brucie movie etc:

Worth getting just for that fight scene.

the movie is fairly pants tho.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

It had to be the fight between peter griffin and the chicken giving out coupons in the episode where the world ends because of the Y2K bug.... classic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Happy Gilmore vs Bob Barker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

love the Oldboy streets of rage style one take fight.

But as well the first fight when he's in the out side world for the first time

Dae-su Oh: Can the imaginary training of fifteen years be put to use?
    Dae-su Oh: [Dae-su beats up his assailants] Yes. It can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Happy Gilmore vs Bob Barker.
    That is a good fight!

grimloch wrote:
    There was another film with good fights, directed by Quentin Tarantino, didn't like the film but the fights were great. Jet Li was involved.

He didn't direct it, he just "presented" it, whatever the hell that means. He had no creative input into the movie. The movie was Hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Buck Owens wrote:
    love the Oldboy streets of rage style one take fight.

But as well the first fight when he's in the out side world for the first time

Dae-su Oh: Can the imaginary training of fifteen years be put to use?
    Dae-su Oh: [Dae-su beats up his assailants] Yes. It can.

Such a film, great how the lift doors open at the end of the fight scene and you dont have a doubt in your mind....he kicked korean ass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Peter Griffin vs. the Chicke ni Family gets my vote too.

Just about any of the fight scenes in Seven Samurai, Yojimbo & When the Last Sword is Drawn (the last of which catches the short, sharp, brutal reality of sword fights very well unlike certain tarantino films with women dressed in yellow).

The final fight sequence in BloodSport

Aragorn/Gimli/Legolas' fight with the uruk-hai at the end of the Fellowship was amazing.

First coloseum fight in Gladiator

Final "match" in Rollerball (the James Caan original)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

The crazy hand-to-hand fight between the martial artist guy and the terrorist at the start of Team America. Incredible choreography. Best fight scene ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭De Deraco

blade 1 when he catches the sunglasses and goes on an ass kicking rage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

oldboy has been mentioned.

but also grosse point blank is a brilliant fight scene.

the original matrix had good fight scenes but the sequels are rubbish for fights. burly brawel is a horrible fight scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Luke Skywalker v Darth Vader in The Empire Strikes Back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Hero - Fight between Jet li and the guy with the spear.

Kiss of the Dragon - when he fights the 2 blonde guys

Dunno the name of the film but its a jackie chan film
    He fights this old blind guy. class!

Another jet li film where he fights this animal of an army guy at the end.

Not a film but really good anyway.
    Resident Evil 4 - the knife fight between Krauser and leon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

There is an amazing fight at the end of Wheels on Meals between Jackie Chan and Benny Urquidez. It's just a very good, very pure fight with no over the top stunts to take away from it.

Actually any Jackie Chan stuff from that era is simply amazing. It's just that he comes across as so fallible, he always takes a huge amount of punishment in his fights which adds a huge amount of humour to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Haha, the chicken fights in Family Guy are class :)
    I was originally angry you were dissing Equilibrium but I think I agree. Something didn't work about it. Maybe it was that the other guy looked like he couldn't even run quickly nevermind be in a fast paced gun fight like that.

Some of the other fight/action scenes were great, it's just the slapping one at the end that bothers me. It just doesn't feel like a fight scene, it feels like 2 little girls in a school playground slapping eachother in the face. I just had to laugh at it when I saw it in the cinema, it was just so stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Unit00

Jet Li & Donnie Yen in Hero
    Adam Sandler & the four blonde brothers in Punch Drunk Love
    The Ending fight in Iron Monkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

The duel sequence in Rob Roy. Tim Roths character was so incerdibly evil, and it really looked like our hero Rob Roy was getting creamed. By the end he was so wrecked that he could barely even lift his sword. In that respect, its actually pretty hard to watch, due to the gritty realism. Lovely finish though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The fight between the puppets in the beginning of Team America :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The fight between the puppets in the beginning of Team America :)
    But you could see the wires!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

But you could see the wires!
    Eh, I think thats the point! I roared laughing at that scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

old boy
    ong bak

both great fighting scenes

most realistic has to go to (yeah i know its a tv program)
    the shield where (season 3 spoiler)
    Shane Vendrell and Tavon man they kicked the living crap out of each other, and at the end where the wife comes in and belts him with the iron, ouch

also stephen segal Vs the pack of seals in family guy, pure class :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Kill Bill Volume 1 - The House Of Blue Leaves. The Japanese edition of this is uncut and stays in colour. Much more blood and dismemberment. It's great.

The fights in The Bournre Identity were all very good I thought.
    Most of Bruce Lee's fights are also excellent. Can't think of any particular scene though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

They Live

ahahaha, yeah totally XD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep has to be Roddy Piper vs Keith David in They Live :D

Apparently it turned into a real fight, they just kept filming !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

The end of Aliens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

gandalf wrote:
    Yep has to be Roddy Piper vs Keith David in They Live :D

Apparently it turned into a real fight, they just kept filming !!!

Has to be the best, two men sprawled in alley kicking the crap fight over sunglasses fight without a doubt.

Also the Happy Gilmore getting bi*ch slapped fight is excellent.

Blitzkerg metioned Gross Point Blank, and I'd also mention "The Manchurian Candidate" (org not remake) for most plausible fight between two trained killers, none of this spinning roundhouse kick crap, two people trained to take massive lumps out of each other and take the opponent down as quickly and brutally as possible kinda of fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Actually some of the fights in the Bourne Identity and Supremecy were good as well!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

the bourne supremacy fight with Bourne against the other agent (i think) in a house in Munich was very good although sometimes hard to follow due to the camerawork...

I think the most realistic screen fight was in The Sopranos when Tony finally taught a lesson to that annoying mouthpiece Ralphie. These were 2 mafioso beating each other and using all available weapons. It even looked for a minute like Big Tone might lose...

Also, Sonny laying down the law in The Godfather to his sister's husband was a pretty good fight, although a little one-sided... ;)

But the 2 best ever fights, ever...
    - Peter Griffin versus the chicken in Family Guy
    - Homer Simpson versus Tom (Bart's Big Brother)
    ....both are absolute classics, Bruce Lee eat your heart out :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement