Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good news for Boards.

• 25-08-2001 2:54pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well, we've bashed out a deal between us and an ad agency, so from now on, we'll at least see some cash for the ads you put up with!

We hadnt done this before because:

1. Ads pay jack and are a pain to organise.

2. Anyone we talked to wanted control over the ads and then we wouldnt be able to put up ads for ourselves or mates of ours (like Ireland Offline etc).

But we're signing a deal which allows us control and they do all the work and collection etc.

So, finally after 3 years what Cloud and I and the rest of the Boards crew set out to do is almost complete. The community will be financially self sufficent and free from corporate image and control.

Think of it this way. Most other "community sites" are there to power something. CD sales, ISPs etc. We wanted to create somewhere that was for us, our rules and paid for by the activity of the site itself.

This is nearly so now, which is cool! But the inevitable question is going to be "what happens to the cash".
    Well, we have server bills to pay and software to pay licenses on too. We need to put some away for a rainy day (like if our host ever went out of business).

After that we will have sod all left I think but we are thinking of running Boards.ie parties with free beer and hopefully kicking back to the Moderators too for their hard work (we have to be careful about employment laws etc so it cant be cash). The admins deserve some too, I'm sure noone would deny Cloud a few quid for his hard work smile.gif

So, hopefully within the next three months Boards.ie will be one of the rarest things on the internet... a profitable website!

Once we get a firm grip on the income we can expect we'll come back to you guys for ideas as to what you think we should do with it.

Phase 2 of Operation Boards is complete. Time to start to take over the world muahahaha.

DeVore.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Good luck smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

Well done, and the best of luck with your ads. Well-deserved luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

So does this mean we all get those's car's we where promised biggrin.gif

Are you a Player of Games?

So does this mean we all get those's car's we where promised biggrin.gif

Are you a Player of Games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Carnate

Well done to all on Boards, Tom and John and da rest of the crew.. btw have yah an opening for a new member of da boards??

i must admit he will be ready in .. say about 15years.. but just getting him ready smile.gif

again WELL DONE EVERYONE!!

Carnate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

im really happy for you man, i know you probably dont like me but ive a great respect for what your doing here, theres so few places like this on the net, id go as far as to say theres nothing like it, its allmost like a big home. theres so few places on the net for irish people and i for on apreciate all the hard work you put into this place even if i dotn show it some times

smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 25-08-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Cool, Glad to see all the hard works paying off.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Well as long as I don't have to put up with those 'punch/shock/kick/stab the monkey' banners... they're just horrid.

arnt they american? abite of a waste of time on an irish site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

That's good news... congrats and best of business luck in the future smile.gif

--

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

That's excellant news smile.gif
    glad to see that happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    arnt they american? abite of a waste of time on an irish site</font>
    Dunno m8, I never click them :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Congrats Tom, its nice to see your plans are working out the way you want and you'll get some reward (well the currency type) for all your hard work. A big shout to you, Cloud and all the others who put all the hard work into something that is an important part of alot of peoples lives.

BTW any news on the Zeddies yet I expect Boards.ie to walk it.

Gandalf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

DeVore, who'd you come to the agreement with, ICAN? Just curious.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Yay, glad to see you'll finally be making money for providing such a good free service smile.gif

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Cant disclose who we've done the deal with yet (though its an open secret really).

There wont be any popups or ghey ads like that. We've limited the ads size to 12k in the contract too so I doubt there will be animations.

DeV.

But DeVore, since we all have broadband connections to the Internet now, the size doesn't really matter, does it?

Oh, hang on... smile.gif

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Wha haaay!

Congrats.

Kill, kill, kill the laser mice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Nice one lads. You deserve it, hope you put some aside to buy yerselves a well deserved pint!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Congratulations lads smile.gif.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

UBER excellent! profitable websites! what next?

j

"Why not put the match in a shark tank, with real live sharks, hungry sharks, and the only way to beat your
    opponent is to stuff them down a shark's throat and pin a shark".
    -Kurt Angle to Lilian Garcia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Excellent! Well done biggrin.gif

John (yes THE John!)
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Excellent. All your ads are belong to us.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "[amp] may have the respect of the plebs on the other boards" - WWman

Heh, this is so funny. Any other site and there'd be war...

"Hey, we're introducing commercial banner ads."
    "You're WHAT!? Well, that's it, I'm off. I'll never visit this site again. Terrible, terrible, terrible."

etc.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Well done and GL in the future.

< why not use that money stashed away to save jeffy the kitten from doom> biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

That island has freedom written all over it" Sir, that's Cuba. [url="HTTP://WWW.thesimpsons.com"]look at that smithers!![/url]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Sweeet smile.gif

There ya go Dan, it can be done... smile.gif

Nice one guys.

Al.

Devore said:

LOL. Yeah I was just thinking that. I guess its the way we all came up together. I mean, noones getting rich off this but the main point is Noones getting poor!

Errah, no-one'll ever get rich off advertising on a website alone DeVore, I think you know that as well as I do. Maybe marketing and sponsorship deals - I like the "section-branding" style on The Reg meself - after a while, but never from advertising. As long as you're having fun and the box and the bandwidth are paid for though, who cares?

Micro said:

in all fairness this isn't like most other web forums now is it?

Well, it is really Micro. What's different is the fact that it's done for fun and it's Not Just Another Dot Com. That'll always make a difference on the web IMHO - if you do it for the love of it, and you're any good of course, it'll all work out. Throwing money at it like it was bricks 'n mortar very rarely works. And rightly so. The Internet'd be rubbish if it did.

adam

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah... what dahamsta said.

We never sat down and thought "hey, I know... lets get stonkingly rich from a big notice board".

I mean, Cloud is a lecturer and the rest of us are running Spin.

Boards is becoming a well known name around town now (I love sitting in a pub or cafe and hearing people talk say "yeah I read that on boards". Its happened a few times smile.gif ). If boards becomes even bigger then it is we might have to rethink stuff because even as it is you can hear the creaking and groaning of the system (and not the tech system either, although that too!)

Anyway, lets see where we go to, but at least we're motoring under our own steam now (or will be!)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Yeaah! Good for you guys. This place is important to a lot of us and I'm sure most people really recognize and appreciate the fact that Boards are a labour of love.

So control your breathing and keep pushing! biggrin.gif

And if it ever came to it I wouldn't be adverse to throwing a few quid in a pot, as long as I get a sticker. wink.gif

K

• Advertisement

if he was selling the site im sure you would all be *****ing, but the fact is what hes doing is to make it even more independant,
    what if some of the admins lost there jobs and couldnt fund this place anymore, we all would be fudged.
    the fact that its getting reinvested here is what makes the difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Hmmm actually that aint a half bad idea kix I wouldn't mind buying some boards stuff like a mug or mouse mat or t-shirt. Ever think of doing it Dev/Cloud/ et all. Hey its advertising the site while getting paid for it.... Maybe even just one or two runs of t-shirts would raise a bit of money to help out even if it was put away for a rainy day.

kayos

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Big thumbs up lads! Well done.

looking at taht Zeddy add with me thinking a cat's sexy makes me realise what a crazed bunch of lunatics we are on this site - only daft fockers like us would do stuff like that and laugh at it!

I'd buy a boards.ie T-Shirt (but as a Moderator I feel one should be given to me curlydav.gif).

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    When the Beefy King arrives, I shall be paying homage with Puunack The Receiver in a haze of green curry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Limited edition 'I'm a boards.ie moderator' mouse-mat. wink.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MindPhuck:
    *Chaaa ChiiinnG*

Nice nice..
    </font>

so eric, where are us oldies going to go for a pint with all this money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Alis

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'd buy a boards.ie T-Shirt</font>

Actually that's a good idea, I think I'd buy one for the laugh smile.gif

Lots of the online t-shirt vendors have partner programs that allow websites to sell branded merchandise through their online shops.

OK I'm sure the t-shirt vendor takes a big enough cut from every sale to make it worth their while but it saves websites setting up their own t-shirt selling enterprises smile.gif

The companies I thinking of are probably US or UK based but maybe there is an Irish company that would do something like that.

Actually I probably wouldn't buy one, because boards.ie probably wouldn't do t-shirts for girls smile.gif Yes, there is a difference smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

2 words: thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

sf99.gif

"just because you're not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after you!"

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:

"You're WHAT!? Well, that's it, I'm off. I'll never visit this site again. Terrible, terrible, terrible."

etc.

adam
    </font>

LOL. Yeah I was just thinking that. I guess its the way we all came up together. I mean, noones getting rich off this but the main point is Noones getting poor!

Its one of the things that motivates us to do Boards.ie... everyone seems to *get* what we are trying to do.

We've got some pretty loopy ideas in the works , watch this space (community building stuff).

Also, I think the boards.ie get-togethers will be a laugh and not put a hole in our cash too much. Maybe rent out a cafe and get a few kegs. Dunno what we'll do with the mods yet. Tricky one that but we'll work something out. Maybe a prize draw or something. Anyway, its a while yet before we see a penny and we need 5k for the server alone so that has to come off the top but

I'd say by new year we'll be sorted.

Thanks for the support lads (and ladies).

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:

etc.

adam
    </font>

in all fairness this isn't like most other web forums now is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Oh my god Dev!

You've sold us out!

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!

tongue.gif

On a serious note, well done lads.

• Advertisement

well done smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

*Chaaa ChiiinnG*

Nice nice..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SHADOW

Yeah DeV, that merchadising idea is really something worth looking at doing, if you guys can find the time.

I think loads of people would buy a mug or a t-shirt that was BOARDS.IE branded. I would.
    (Well, as long as it didnt have any pics of that poxy looking little cat smile.gif ) And it would go along way towards paying for server upgrades etc.

I know somebody that does that kind of printing actually, gimmie a shout if you want to get prices etc..
    wink.gif

N

If the bottom falls out of your world, drink Andrews and the world will fall out of your bottom!!
    games?

If anyone mentions the phrase "revenue streams", I'm outta here... smile.gif

adam

cuppa.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

love it kix....

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I think loads of people would buy a mug or a t-shirt that was BOARDS.IE branded. I would.
    (Well, as long as it didnt have any pics of that poxy looking little cat ) </font>

HAHAH, well we were thinking about doing a
    jeffy the kitten series!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">If anyone mentions the phrase "revenue streams", I'm outta here... </font>

Seriously, we're not in this for the money. We'll do stuff thats funny and sub-cultury and the suits of the world can scratch their heads and wonder why its selling like hotcakes etc but once the server is paid for and we get a bit of cash to have some fun with I'm not looking to milk it.

I think taking some of the pictures from the Jonesy muppet thread and putting them on bags and mugs and stuff would be a laugh tho.

Can you imagine the looks you'd get smile.gif

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

mugs with a sly stab @ the competition:

"Boards.ie Members,
    better that p45's any day"

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeVore:
    I think taking some of the pictures from the Jonesy muppet thread and putting them on bags and mugs and stuff would be a laugh tho.
    </font>

That would be excellent! That was a fantastic thread biggrin.gif

<edit>Fixed UBB codes</edit>

[This message has been edited by Kix (edited 28-08-2001).]

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kix:
    cuppa.jpg</font>

OMFG Kix - that RULES!!!

Get some of Freak Bro's little guys on the index page on the t-shirts/bags/mugs - they can be saying some of the stuff that was used in that Jonsey muppet threat mentioned earlier!

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    When the Beefy King arrives, I shall be paying homage with Puunack The Receiver in a haze of green curry.

[This message has been edited by Kharn (edited 28-08-2001).]

• Advertisement
Advertisement