Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mr. Paik's TVs *Spoilers*

• 06-07-2005 5:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

There seems to be a general feeling on most of the Lost message boards that everytime a TV is shown in the series, there is something significant about it. I noticed this a couple of times during the course of the series, but some people have come to think that Mr. Paik (Sun's father) has something to do with the island.

The following photo shows two TVs in his office while he is talking to Jin:
    http://www.lost-media.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&album=289&pos=5

If you look at the TV screens, they seem to show a picture of an island. Several people who have taken a detailed look at the island claim that the sphere in the middle is a magnification of one section of the island where a pillar of smoke is rising.

Now, this may all be conjecture, but there is an impression given in the final episode of the series that everyone is fated to be on the island, no matter what. In the case of Jin and Sun, it is clear that Mr Paik knows about Jin's plan to go into hiding, hence the warning he sends him in Sydney airport. Mr Paik has told Jin to present a watch to somebody in Los Angeles, yet this seems to bear a suspicious resemblance to the way in which Claire was instructed to go to LA by the psychic. Also, in the final episode, we are specifically shown a scene where Jin gives the watch to Michael for good.

Is there some significance to this scene with the watch, and could Mr Paik be involved with the island somehow? It is obvious that his interests seem to stretch beyond car manufacturing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Man I love conspiracy theories!

I'd love if everything tied in at that level, and in series 3 or 4 when all of this makes sense, we're given a "6th Sense" style flashback showing us all the clues that were put out there in the first few series....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

How could you possibly make out anything from those screens? especially smoke...its like people using photo enhancements and say there was a face in the hatch when it lit up or a face could be made from the blackness of the monter,but all the while the enhancements are probably the cause of these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

To be honest, my own favourite theory surrounds an old alleged US Navy project called the Philadelphia Experiment where the creators supposedly attempted to generate massive magnetic fields to hide ships from radar. The conspiracy theorists say that this had the unintended side-effects of mysteriously transporting the ships involved, and other objects thousands of miles. Rumours of temporal displacement were also discussed.

So, what if the island was some kind of centre for this research? This would tie together a large number of threads in the series - why the hatch is buried underground, how The Black Rock came to be so far inland, the Nigerian plane, the polar bears, and in particular (and this is the one that has me following this line of thought) Locke's discussion of why the compass is so far off its proper alignment. For me, there's evidence to suggest that something on the island is generating a massive magnetic field, and possibly transporting all sorts of things to the island from other places, and even other times.

Think of the consequences - the drug dealers weren't flying over the pacific at all. They were flying over Nigeria. The Black Rock wasn't anywhere in the south pacific either. And unsurprisingly, neither were the polar bears. My only theoretical connection to Mr Paik though is that his family were military defense contractors during the Korean War, around the time of the Philadelphia Experiments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Another TV i noticed, but nobody else seems to have mentioned online:

In the episode where Jin goes to the minister house for the first time, the one where the minister gives him the dog, the ministers daughter is watching TV.

If you look at the TV screen in this scene, you can quite clearly see Hurley on TV, getting into a car. Trust me on this! Bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Draupnir wrote:
    If you look at the TV screen in this scene, you can quite clearly see Hurley on TV, getting into a car. Trust me on this! Bizarre.
    Yeah.. discussed in detail numerous times before.

It will all be explained why exactly he was on TV in Hurley's backstory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

basquille wrote:
    Yeah.. discussed in detail numerous times before.

It will all be explained why exactly he was on TV in Hurley's backstory.
    Was it?
    It looked like he was being bundled into that car as if he was being arrested or escourted out of a courthouse. I don't think someone winning a US lottery, even if it was a fairly large sum, would make the news in Korea, even his arrest on drug charges would be minor news. I felt it definitely seems to indicate that he was probably in Korea at some stage, and due to his money being tied up in so many companies there is probably a connection to Mr. Paik's company. It could even have something to do with the business that the minsiter was embroiled in with Mr. Paik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

mr_angry wrote:
    If you look at the TV screens, they seem to show a picture of an island.

Brilliant potential crossover - well spotted. It certainly looks like the 'Lost' island as seen from the view of those departing on the raft...

Don't know to what extent Mr Paik is involved, if he is at all, but it's a nice,
    definitely intentional hint for us to spot. Paik is certainly powerful - sent a
    guy to tail Jin, though it's not clear if that same guy got on the flight.

The Philadelphia Experiment theory came up on the long thread in Television, so you might be interested in what we wrote there, Mr Angry (in case you might not have seen it from there.)

Was it?
    It looked like he was being bundled into that car as if he was being arrested or escourted out of a courthouse. I don't think someone winning a US lottery, even if it was a fairly large sum, would make the news in Korea, even his arrest on drug charges would be minor news. I felt it definitely seems to indicate that he was probably in Korea at some stage, and due to his money being tied up in so many companies there is probably a connection to Mr. Paik's company. It could even have something to do with the business that the minsiter was embroiled in with Mr. Paik.

Far as I remember,
    Hurley was definitely being shown for winning the lottery. I didn't get the impression he was being pushed into the car. If anything, he might have had minders or bodyguards who were keeping people from hassling him.

The text below him said in Korean (according to TVTome.) something about "an American winner" (bascially referring to the high jackpot.) If someone in the US wins one of those Powerball lotteries, it does tend to make news here. I'm pretty sure that's why he was on TV.

I don't think he was in Korea for business reasons, though I do like the idea of him being tied to Paik financially. Maybe one of Hurley's investments was one of Paik's companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

It's a car. From the episode In Translation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Ha.. Fair enough so...

people were actually able to make out those letters on the screen?

• Advertisement

It's a car. From the episode In Translation.

I knew it was a car. Probably should have used emphasis. I said I didn't get the impression he was being pushed into a car, rather he was getting in of his own accord. He was likely being hounded by the media due to his sudden fame, though, so he'd be keen to shield his face and get away as quickly as possible.
    people were actually able to make out those letters on the screen?

I know, seems a bit weird, but that's what TVTome's contributors said, and to be fair, the shots of the TV a few seconds earlier - before Jin came in - was much closer than the shot above, so the Korean writing was probably more visible then.

Advertisement