Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

netopia and Exchange

Options
  • 06-07-2005 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

I have setup a small office with Exchange server 2003, they have a domain name with the MX pointing to their static public IP, I have checked out the MX in NSlookup and its fine, the Netopia ASDL Router is using the static IP, I have set the NAT on the router to point to the Servers [private] IP address, they can send messages but cannot receive any, Has anybody had this problem with a netopia?
    perhaps something in the setup blocks incoming traffic
    maybe I should buy a Cisco and get real?
    I would be just interested in finding out what is causing this problem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

setup up some port rules on the netopia, any traffic on port 110 goes to IP of mail server

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

just set port 25 to forward to the exchange server, it's called pinholes i think on those netopias in advanced mode, they do work, if you want to port forward for webmail port 80, you have to move the netopia web admin off port 80. If it's business and they can afford it get a cisco, netopia works, cisco works properly, a 1700 with an adsl wic is rock solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Im having the same bother in a site too.

Ive the broadband going into the netopia box and then into a DLink Firewall and from there into the Switch.

I installed MS Small Business 2003 Server with exchange on it and can get mail out but not in.
    1) We then got a static IP address off Eircom and put this onto our external ip address of the Netopia box - and set the internet port of the netopia box and the external port on the firewall to the same address range and the internal port of the firewall to 192.168.1.x which is the range in use in the business. Internet access is working 100%, but we cannot see the mail server from external.
    From there:
    We were told by Netopia to set the Netopia box to IP Passthrough in advanced settings and set it's external port to DHCP and to put the external port of the DLink firewall to the Static Eircom Ip address and the Netopia will allow everything through it to the DLink firewall and this should now work provided the DLink firewall is allowing SMTP through. After doing this we found the external port of the netopia box was gettings via DHCP the same static IP address and afer contacting Eircom they said this was the way they worked static ips and they always pushed the static address to the number.

Any idea's?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Bebop: You solution is simple. Forget about previous answers, they are either half right or incorrect completely..port 110 will do nothing for you.

If you go into the advanced section of the netopia and look for software hosting. In here you can easily pick out smtp and apply it to the server. This is the easiest way to create port forwarding rules with a netopia...you will see a list of other services like terminal server, and even rules for hosting games. Only open the ones you need. If you try any of the other methods described you may end up opening the door to everyone...not good if you havent two network cards in that server and a firewall setup.

jamesd: This is the preferred way of using the netopia... turn it into a bridge and connect to your dlink firewall. Then just setup the dlink to connect using ppoe and put in eircoms default username and password. eircom, broadband1. and of course open the ports for smtp (25) etc.

You can search the netopia site as they have good docs for this... so do eircom, but netopia site is better.

Configuration for Bridge Mode:
    *Make note of the Ethernet IP Address and subnet mask. You can use this address to access the router in the future.

Browse into the Cayman Router's web interface.
    On the Home page, click on Expert Mode in the left-hand side menu.
    In the Expert Mode Confirmation screen, click on

to continue.
    Click on Configure on the left-hand Menu area.
    Click on the Connection link.

In the Connection Configuration screen, select the Protocol RFC 1483 Bridged Ethernet LLC/SNAP setting.
    Set the Bridging mode to Enabled and click on Save Changes.

You will now be prompted to Restart Router to load New Configuration.
    Click on Yes.
    The router will restart and is now in Bridging mode.
    This completes the configuration for Bridging.

Im going to give this a go tomorrow and I'll let ye know how I get on.

• Advertisement

I set this up as above using PPPoE on the netopia and the internet is still working perfectly as before.
    I opened up the firewall on the DLink to allow ping in and smtp in but still I cannot ping the fixed Ip that I receive from eircom or telnet into it with telnet IP 25 - any idea's ?

jamesd wrote:
    I set this up as above using PPPoE on the netopia and the internet is still working perfectly as before.
    I opened up the firewall on the DLink to allow ping in and smtp in but still I cannot ping the fixed Ip that I receive from eircom or telnet into it with telnet IP 25 - any idea's ?

do the 2nd option bridge mode. if you are doing ppoe on the netopia then you arent doing bridge mode. if software hosting isnt working then its cause you have some other setting in the netopia conflicting. factory reset the settings on it, then go back and only do software hosting.

otherwise you have an issue at the "server". is it windows? what flavour? one nic or two? is there an extra firewall of any kind installed? some virus software (mcaffee 8) has smtp ports blocked.

Had a typo on the last post. I have bridged the netopia box and setup the DLink to us ePPPoE and its still working fine on the internet.
    I still cannot ping the static ip address I receive from eircom from external - and also I cannot telnet into the ip address port 25
    Does this address still be assigned to the netopia or does it now be assigned to the Wan on the dlink since I am using the netopia in bridged mode?
    I have opened up the Wan to Lan Firewall policy on the Dlink and have attached a screenshot below:
    Also a screenshot of the Lan to Want even though I assume this doesnt matter for getting in
    The Server 2003 firewall is turned off and the DLink is model DLF 700

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/jamesd/WantoLan.bmp
    edit - bmp is crap but I posted up the policy below

1 Ping inbound allowed
    2 http-all allowed
    3 SMTP allowed
    4 smtp-in allowed
    5 pop3 allowed
    6 ping-outbound allowed

Yes, Dlink has the external ip now on wan link.

Looks like if you go into services on dlink you may find away to port forward. You need to specify that any smtp traffic coming into the wan port of dlink is forwarded onto the server on your lan. otherwise it has no idea where to forward the smtp traffic. when you have that done telnet will work.

somthing like this:

allow wan to ip 192.168.0.2 (server) for SMTP

Sorted - Used Port mapping on the dlink as you said

Thanks for the help

• Advertisement
Advertisement