Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asterisk, PBX

Options
  • 06-07-2005 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi, I'm setting up an Asterisk@home PBX and would like to know if anyone else have setup one, using both IAX and SIP trunks to i.e Blueface.ie and skytel.ie and more

Having a few problems along the way.
    I am trying to get it to receive inbound calls from blueface.ie but I only get my blueface voice mail I had it working OK before about a month a go, on the support page in blueface.ie helps a bit but I’m configuring it thru a web GUI, AMP which doesn’t involve going into the config files.

Is there anyone out there that could help. Thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Used it a few times, works just fine, use iax not sip.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭puma5k

I will try IAX, but have you every got it to work on SIP, I had untill something went wrong in Linux and had to reinstall Astericks

Yes, it's not that easy, you have to set the external ip address in sip.conf, and also port forward udp port 5060 and your entire udp range unless your asterisk server has a public ip address, not worth the hassle unless your provider doesnt support iax, iax is just better overall for what you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭puma5k

Got the IAX account activated and setup the trunk, first time didn't work but kept at it with the help of blueface, under context I was putting freedombasic when it should have been from=pstn to route the calls to the DID setting on a Asterisks@home server.

I will post details of my setup later on so that people will have an idea of way the AMP (Asterisk Management protocol) configures the .conf files. And how to setup the trunks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Would you mind giving a general overview of what you do with Asterisk and why you are using it, besides for playing around etc?
    I've had a look at the site a few times but I dont think I'm getting what its all about at the moment.

• Advertisement

in it's simplest form it's a full blown phone system, every feature you would expect, compatible with just about everything you can throw at in the telecoms worlds, plus it does voice over ip, letting you integrate the two, thats just a basic description.
    air wrote:
    Would you mind giving a general overview of what you do with Asterisk and why you are using it, besides for playing around etc?
    I've had a look at the site a few times but I dont think I'm getting what its all about at the moment.

Sounds good, what kind of hardware can it run on outside of the limited stuff sold on asterisk.org?

it will run any any decent linux system ,even windows (without hardware support) the question to ask is what do you want to do with it?

Well seeing as it can be a pbx, are there multi port cards available to make it into say a 48port office pbx?

You would just need to buy 48 sip phones to achieve this, no need for a 48 port card, unless you want to use 48 analog phones?

• Advertisement

Oh sweet, so you could have SIP handsets on your internal LAN that would connect to th e asterisk server over the IP network then.
    As indicated in my first post, I was a bit of a newb to the whole scene.
    My only previous pbx experience was admining an Eircom Advantage 4800 system & some old Mitsubishi dinosaur.
    It sounds like it would be a good option for a cheap office pbx then.
    Is it widely used as such, or is it mainly used for trunk traffic?

it's widely used for both, how do you plan to connect to the telephone network? you can again do that with VOIP through someone like www.blueface.ie or else get an E1 card from asterisk.org and get a fractional or whole PRI in from eircom, for 48 phones i dont think basic rate or analog lines would cut it, how many outgoing lines would you need? By the way it would be a much better idea to put your phones and asterisk on a seperate vlan or switch of their own to protect them from normal traffic on your lan that might degrade the quality.

No plans to put it into production at all at the moment, have been reading up all evening though, voip-info.org, asteriskdocs.org etc, all fascinating stuff.
    Good idea on the VLAN alright I'd say.
    I'm using blueface already but am just interfacing the VOIP line to one of the analogue extensions of the PBX as an extra line at present.

Advertisement