Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"NTL" screw in cable connections

Options
  • 06-07-2005 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    I need to do a bit of cable rewiring and was wondering does anyone know where I can get these screw in cable connections?
    I have never seen them in any of the regular DIY shops, but I assume they are available?

Also, FYI a few weeks back I posted looking for the door to those outdoor NTL/eircom boxes, €10 in Heiton Buckleys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

I'm not sure if were thinking of the same thing but is it "F Connectors" your looking for? Like these? I generally get them at my local TV/Electronics place as they do cable installs too and have them for sale over the counter but I've seen them in hardware stores, sometimes they're sold in the little packets. Electrical wholesalers would have them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

nah, that doesnt seem to be them...
    basically they are just regular coax connectors, but rather than push together they screw together
    You only need them to connect to the NTL box (or the cable modem!)

<edit>
    though maybe it is, everything I have googled points to f connectors allright, they just dont look the same to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

I'd say they're F connectors alright, they can come in different shapes but basically the same things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Homebase and Woodies sell them alright but there are a few types of these connectors. One type is just pushed onto the cable and then you screw it on to box. You wouldn't think it would work but it does and is easy to use.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=10447&TabID=1&source=17&WorldID=&doy=7m7

You can also get one that screws on to the box and allows regular coaxil connections that push on. There seems to be a lot of things called f connectors but they are all a bit different. If you see an NTL van ask them for one. I have one and I never found one in electic stores and hardware stores. One guy claimed they didn't exist while looking at it in my hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

They're F connectors indeed - usually used in satellite installations, but used by NTL cos they don't come loose so easy. You'll pick them up in maplins, peats most likely, most DIY shops should have them.
    The screw ons are the ones you want, not the crimp ons. Here's how to use them.
    Score through the outer sleeve about 2 cm from the end, and pull it off. Make sure to leave the braid intact. Fold the braid back over the outer sleeve all around. If there is an inner metal shield like gold or silver foil, just tear it off all around.
    Cut through the inner insulation about 5 mm from the braid, making sure to leave the inner core intact. I usually do all this with a stanley knife - done in a second.
    Now you just screw the connector onto the cable, so that it screws on over the braid, until you can see the plastic inner insulation just poking through the hole inside the connector. Then trim the inner core to about 5 mm protruding from the connector. Done and dusted. Should take about 1 minute or so.
    PM if you need more info
    Ken

• Advertisement

thanks
    I've done the cabling loads of time, have a coax cable cutter so it saves all the measuring :) Ive just never seen those "plugs" in the shops, though I havent been looking before either...
    I'll have to go browse peats etc.

Use regular gear and then buy one of these :D
    Cheating
    Proper Way

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

GreeBo wrote:
    thanks
    I've done the cabling loads of time, have a coax cable cutter so it saves all the measuring :) Ive just never seen those "plugs" in the shops, though I havent been looking before either...
    I'll have to go browse peats etc.
    It's a different measurement to a regular coax plug, so make sure you set up your cutter different. Most cutters go right through the braid which is not good for you!
    I'd say you'll get it wherever you got your cutter.

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

If they are the type that MorningStar link to in their post then I have a bag of them floating around at home (recentlt finished cabling my own place).

Let me know how many you need and if I have enough I'll post them on to you :)

S.

Dr. Spock wrote:
    If they are the type that MorningStar link to in their post then I have a bag of them floating around at home (recentlt finished cabling my own place).

Let me know how many you need and if I have enough I'll post them on to you :)

S.
    Excellent!
    Would u have 4? :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

I surely do, PM me your address and I'll send them on to you

S

Advertisement