Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really annoying Broadband issue

• 06-07-2005 9:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭

I am conncected to NTL's 1mb broadband. For the last two weeks I have been having intermittent problems in that the speed is awful, it's taking 5 minutes to load a webpage.

When I run a speed test from www.IrishIspTest.test my download speed is fine however my upload speed is < 1Kbps.

I am using a D-Link DI-514 wireless router, when I perform a tracert to www.jolt.co.uk I get the following results:

Tracing route to www.jolt.co.uk [82.133.85.65]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 * * * Request timed out.
    3 * * * Request timed out.
    4 * * * Request timed out.
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 * * * Request timed out.
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    11 * * * Request timed out.
    12 * * * Request timed out.
    13 * * * Request timed out.
    14 * * * Request timed out.
    15 30 ms 25 ms 33 ms 82.133.85.65

Trace complete.

When I remove the Wireless router and connect the PC directly to the modem the Tracert seems fine, it contains a full trace path with no time outs, however I still get the same results from www.irishisptest.com and the connection is still really slow.

I contacted NTL support and they said everything looked fine with the line.

I've tried this on a PC and a laptop with identical results.

Has anybody any ideas as to why this is happening?

I have eliminated it being a PC issue and as far as I can see it is not a wireless router issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Well this is obviously an ISP issue. Call ntl again. They might think it's fine but it certainly isn't. If I had these kinds of results with my ISP I'd give them hell! I advise you do the same as I really don't think there is anything you can do to fix this on your side...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

The problem I had when I rang NTL was that as soon as I mentioned that I could get a full tracert when connecting directly to the modem compared to the tracert I posted which was when accessing through a wireless router was that they said it must be a router problem. Even though I still had the seem issues with the speed test and general browsing.

I would like to be able to explain the differing tracert results before calling them again.

Advertisement