Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Da freemasons

Options
  • 06-07-2005 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

well, i was just wondering does anyone know much about the freemasons because everyone knows about them but whenever i ask anyone about them they just pretend that they dont exist.whats going on with that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I have a neighbour in them and he's very hush hush about it too! I'd like to know what the story is here as well :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 THE DUDE.......

ok i know this much

1. they meet around once a month
    2. women arent allowed to join
    3. they make no secret of where they meet but in my area it is completely locked off and theres an alarm on it
    4. they have secret handshakes so that thay can identity themselves
    5. you have to complete a ritual to join them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I suggest that you contact the freemasons themselves -- their Irish headquarters are in Molesworth Street, a few yards up from the passport office, and they do guided tours during the summer months. Some more info about the building can be found at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Oracle/4572/fmhall.html.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

Mozart was one, and Hitler tried to destroy them, so they can't be all bad!
    Plus I believe they don't allow catholics, which I always think is a good sign :D
    (I assume they're scared of Jesuit/Opus Dei/Knights of Columbanus spies)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

The Freemasons do not prohibit Catholics from joining, anyone who believes in some sort of god(s) or higher being(s) can join. However, some religions prohibit their members from joining the Freemasons.

There was [thread=71299]quite a lengthy discussion on the topic[/thread] in After Hours, that went on for over 2 years, so a lot of the conspiracy theories, apologetics and facts came up there (I'll leave it to you to decide which is which :))

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Obni wrote:
    Hitler tried to destroy them, so they can't be all bad!

This is a logical fallacy. Argument ad personam. You are appealing to personal likes or dislikes and prejudice. Hitler also reduced unemployment. does that make the reduction of unemployment bad?

Furthermore the argument that Masons cant be all bad is beside the point. the point was about the organisation not individual members. I am sure there are "bad" jews and chatholics and there have been "good" nazis. I believe Oscar schlindler was a Nazi party member. The point is that the tenets of the organisation, or its practical day to day carry on was evil, whether or not people in it subscribed to all those beliefs or practices.

Plus I believe they don't allow catholics, which I always think is a good sign :D
    (I assume they're scared of Jesuit/Opus Dei/Knights of Columbanus spies)

Well your prejudice is showing here isn't it? :) On top of that it happens to be untrue that Catholics are not allowed by the Masons. Further more one could adapt your above fallacy to suggest the Nazi party (or anyone else that some people dislike e.g the communist party) didn't allow catholics so therefore they must be good guys. It doesnt faolow!
    The Catholic Church of course discourages such elitist independent organisations.
    Also, while I have known Catholic Masons, I have never heard of a Catholic member of an Orange Lodge (not masons but one could claim "masonic").
    Note the "independent" ?:) OD is in fact part of the Catholic Church :)

Anyway conspiracy theory etc on the Masons is probably best discussed elsewhere. I only interject to point out possible fallicies involved in counter argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

ISAW wrote:
    This is a logical fallacy. Argument ad personam. You are appealing to personal likes or dislikes and prejudice. Hitler also reduced unemployment. does that make the reduction of unemployment bad?

Furthermore the argument that Masons cant be all bad is beside the point. the point was about the organisation not individual members. I am sure there are "bad" jews and chatholics and there have been "good" nazis. I believe Oscar schlindler was a Nazi party member. The point is that the tenets of the organisation, or its practical day to day carry on was evil, whether or not people in it subscribed to all those beliefs or practices.

Well your prejudice is showing here isn't it? :) On top of that it happens to be untrue that Catholics are not allowed by the Masons. Further more one could adapt your above fallacy to suggest the Nazi party (or anyone else that some people dislike e.g the communist party) didn't allow catholics so therefore they must be good guys. It doesnt faolow!
    The Catholic Church of course discourages such elitist independent organisations.
    Also, while I have known Catholic Masons, I have never heard of a Catholic member of an Orange Lodge (not masons but one could claim "masonic").
    Note the "independent" ?:) OD is in fact part of the Catholic Church :)

Anyway conspiracy theory etc on the Masons is probably best discussed elsewhere. I only interject to point out possible fallicies involved in counter argument.

The flaw in your argument is even more simple: the comment you're replying to was lighthearted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

NoelRock wrote:
    The flaw in your argument is even more simple: the comment you're replying to was lighthearted.

LOL. Yeah. I suppose. Then again you might have noticed the smileys in my reply? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

What I noticed first, was that the smileys form a perfect equilateral triangle, a powerful masonic symbol.
    Furthermore, the halfway point of each line forming the triangle are known in occult circles to be potent focal points for subliminal messages. Selecting the words that happens to be situated there (or should I say the words that were meticulously placed there), we find that the masonic symbol contains your real message.
    1. (Bottom left to top point) - discourages
    2. (Top to bottom right point) - independent
    3. (Bottom right to left point) - thought
    So, a Freemason, as a foot soldier of his Illuminati overlords, serves their unholy purpose best when he "discourages independent thought".
    Gotcha! You trowel-wielding maniac! :eek:

Note: The middle word at the bottom of the triangle is actually "of", and the triangle is far from equilateral, but admitting such mere facts would ruin my Dan-Brownesque rant. :(

Advertisement