Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unsecured Wireless Network?

• 06-07-2005 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

I know I came accross this a few weeks back but can't find anything in the search. Basically I just bought a laptop and can pick-up an unsecured wireless network in my estate. Thing is, I want to tell them about it (I'd want to know too!). How do I go about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

The range of WiFi is specified as 30 metres. So, perhaps, knocking on your neighbours' front doors is the quickest...... You might even get a free beer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Thanks WUSBDesign! And here's me thinking some techie might tell me what buttons to press and hey presto I'd have their email ;)

Sounds like the friendlier option anyhow. Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Might also want to tell them all about WEP - just in case... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mh

While we are on the subject of securing wireless networks can anyone help with this query?

I have a home wireless network that I can set a WEP key on without any difficulty. However, I have two laptops that routinely connect - one running windows XP where a WEP setting is a standard configuration option and the other one running Windows 2000. I can't find out how to set the WEP key on the Win2K machine and as a result my network is running open - does anyone know how to do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

Have you tried to walk around with the laptop and see where the signal dies. will help you pinpoint where its located and save having to speak to all your neighbours.

• Advertisement

astec123 wrote:
    Have you tried to walk around with the laptop and see where the signal dies. will help you pinpoint where its located and save having to speak to all your neighbours.
    Sounds like a reasonable solution, but in all fairness, if I walked around my estate with my laptop in my hands I reckon the guys in the white coats would be out in force.

By the way, when I connect to his/her network, does he know? I mean, does he get an alert saying "someone has joined your network", and can he browse my harddrive and take replace files etc? Not too well up on these networks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

Yes, if the connection log/status in the wireless router/AP is checked. I am not aware of any software which does what you just said ("Excuse me, me thinks your network is naked....").

As for the hard drive part, in theory yes. But I don't really know enough.....anyone else?
    By the way, when I connect to his/her network, does he know? I mean, does he get an alert saying "someone has joined your network", and can he browse my harddrive and take replace files etc? Not too well up on these networks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

As far as I know, your MAC (the electronic address of the wlan card) will be visible if he has the right software and any traffic is visible. I discussed this with a mate in Sweden who supplies his neighbours wlan.
    I know from unsecured satellite inet feeds the same is also possible. So be careful.
    However firewall your pc to block any intrusions as a rule, wlan or whatever your using..

Best thing tho, is try to find the neighbour and he will appreciate your concern hopefully. WEP should be in order anyhow.

Lads, maby someone else knows more bout this topic, over to you.

Thanks for all the replies folks. I have XP Pro running on the laptop with the usual firewall and anti-virus protection so hopefully that should be enough. I'll be buying equipment for my own wireless network soon so any suggestions would be greatfully appreciated. See this post . Thanks!

Advertisement