Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's with the pop up crap?

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

EH?!

We're not doing any pop-up crap. In fact pop-ups are banned from Boards. Forever.

Hobbes, can you explain what you are doing to recreate this? when did it start?

Browser, Os, etc...

Weirdness...

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If anyone else is getting this and cant post here because of it , mail me at tom@spinsol.com or post on the afterhours forum.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I'm using Konqueror.

I have disabled Java/Javascript. When I did that it asked if I wanted to accept a cookie for the adserver your using.

I refused and the pop-ups are appearing only on admin forum.

Just to type this document I now have 18 open windows with that link above and the text "dfffdf".

It seems to trigger only if look at the forum or create a new document or read a thread. If create a new doc and click submit it stops, until I move to another thread or back to admin forum.

It seems to be triggering every time the boards.ie advert resets. ... I can confirm this. I stop the flash movie you have running and the pop-ups stop.

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 31-08-2001).]

Can you try something for me?
    Turn Javascript back on.

We'll have a look at the flash too because its not behaving properly (it should be quite useful, instead its just a dumb ad...)

Whats Konquerer anyway? Some web browser?

DeV.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeVore:
    Whats Konquerer anyway? Some web browser?</font>

It's the web browser that is part of KDE.

The problem appears to be directly to do with the flash advert you have. I enabled Javascript and it's fine. It's only if I actually let the advert play (I disabled plugins).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Cliph

I'm getting these popups now too
    about once every 30 seconds and they're stealing focus. Very annoying.
    They're going to http://adserver.digiserve.ie/ and all that they say is "dfffdf"

Cliph/ff
    http://chicks-dig-unix.net/

Ok, we'll disable them once we've worked out exactly whats going on (that *is* the purpose of testing).

Cliph, can you tell me what you are using to view the site in?

I'll ask the digiserve guys if they have any thoughts about why this should be happening.

Just to re-iterate: We've explained to digiserve that we (as a webcommunity) wish to opt out of any campaigns that insist on pop-ups (and they had no problem with that).

We'll never use pop-ups. Never is defined as sometime after the sun burns out.

We will have to get flash ads working and I'd like to support as many browsers as possible, but I need clues as to a possible cause for this weirdness.

As the two known sufferers of this... can you play with it a little and see if you can give us a lead on the problem?

Thanks,
    DeV.

I use Flash 4. Currently there is no Flash 5 for linux.

beyond that I don't know. Unless you have something coded wrong in the SWF file. It's never done this sort of thing before.

Maybe your setting up a mouseclick area wrong?

When the Flash file loads up I get 2 windows automatically and then 1 window for everytime the movie resets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I had the same prob in work today...

If I stayed on the page for about 5 secs another browser window would open w/an ad confused.gif

I was a using a MAC powerbook using IE5+
    but....

When I switched back to a PC Laptop later on using IE5.5 I had no probs.

Sorry I didn't have time to tinker w/ the Internet settings to see what options were switched on etc. in order so the problem could be resolved frown.gif

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

AFAIR there is no Flash 5 for Mac either, so that might be your problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    AFAIR there is no Flash 5 for Mac either, so that might be your problem. </font>

There is Flash 5 for the Mac.

Just command click a flash movie to see what version of flash player you have.

- Kevin

ok, it seems to be something to do with not having Flash 5.

We'll disable the ad on Monday and see if we cant fix it.

We'll try something a little less ambitous with Flash 5 and see if that still causes a problem.

Can anyone who is having the problem and who can download Flash 5 do so and let me know if it solves the problem?

Thanks for your extreme patience.
    heh, typical, I ban popups and a bug produces them. grrr.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Flash 5 downloaded, problem solved. der ya go.

"I don't think anything I've ever done is wrong" - Dr. Homer Simpson

ok, it seems to be something to do with not having Flash 5.

We'll try something a little less ambitous with Flash 5 and see if that still causes a problem.
    </font>

Just taking a look at the ads there.
    Nothing seems to be Flash 5, or even Flash 4 specific.

Flash 3 can do basic animation and link to URLs no bother. For banner ads you wouldn't really need much else.

Although you may not have control over what version of Flash the ads are in.
    *shrug*

- Kevin

We are doing Flash 5 specific stuff. We've been trying to pull xml out of the boards system and embed it in a flash animation.

It works a treat on my machine but not when embedded in the ad. We even have it working on spin.ie (I'll post the link on Monday).

Something is rotten in the state of denmark.
    Sorry about this lads, we'll take it down and test again soon.

DeV.

We are doing Flash 5 specific stuff. We've been trying to pull xml out of the boards system and embed it in a flash animation.

It works a treat on my machine but not when embedded in the ad. We even have it working on spin.ie (I'll post the link on Monday).
    </font>

Ah,
    You see your problem there is you're trying to actually do some kind of programming in Flash. (:

I've been doing that all this summer and it can get quite annoying at times.

- Kevin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Yeah I'm getting this too, IE5 on MacOS 9. I'll go get flash 5 if it fixes it..

Teeth.

Advertisement