Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanted: basic programming exercises

Options
  • 07-07-2005 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Heyya,

I'm currently trying to learn about 3 languages at the moment. And while it's fine to read documents on the structure and stuff, it's much more constructive to prove that I've got the basic concepts.

So, I was thinking, remember those little first year practical exercises like "Draw this triangle using nested for loops" and the like? Does anyone know where I could find a load of them?

Stuff that handles if/then/else constructs, ternary operators (if supported), while do and for loops, functions and the like. Even just basic variable operations. Basically, stuff that anyone learning C or java would have to do just to learn the basics.

The idea is, I'd have these as standard exercises so that if I thought I knew a language, like perl, python, php or javascript (and when it comes to it: C and its relatives) I could go through those motions where I know what the result should be and can prove whether I've learnt the basics of the language or not.

So anyone know where I can find a load of these? The more, the better.

Take care,
    Phantom Beaker.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

I leave others to guide you where to go as for study aids, I dont know of any. Though personally, if I want to learn something, I grab a simple proggram and try to duplicate it in functionality with the language.

On a side note, you'll have a terrible time trying to get a set of sample 'tests' to complete which are compatable with so many programming languages, when such tests are often made to aspire you to the best knowlege of that specific language. For example, I dont think I'll see you doing much graphics work with javascript

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭PhantomBeaker

Well, I'm not trying to do graphics stuff... This is just to try and grasp the basics like simple I/O, and some loops and variable assignment. I find it's much easier to ensure I know how to do them if I just pick a random exercise and do it. And if I have enough of them, by the time I'm finish the umteenth one, I won't be looking it up because it will be burnt into my brain. :)

Then with stuff like graphics and the like, well, that's going to be individual to each language.

Take care,
    Phantom Beaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Try the most basic questions on http://topcoder.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Mach

Well for C programming, go to cprogramming.com,for java got to http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/ .Also it helps to get a good book, a good c book is call a guide to c programming by Paul Kelly.
    Mach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Mach wrote:
    Well for C programming, go to cprogramming.com,for java got to http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/ .Also it helps to get a good book, a good c book is call a guide to c programming by Paul Kelly.
    Mach
    Did you study in DIT by any chance?

• Advertisement

Nope IT Tallaght and NUI Maynooth.I know Paul kkelly teaches in DIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Unluckily for us :)

But is wanta real C book get the C programing lananague by K&R :cool:

Advertisement