Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hollywood remake of Oldboy??

• 07-07-2005 1:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

Well, according to imdb..... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425320/
    Got me thinking.....how many more times are Hollywood going to dip into Asia to come up with a crummy remake? Is it the latest "in" thing??
    I loved Oldboy...very sceptical about this....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Get jerry bruckheimer to produce it, that would put a nice icing from hell on top of that idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Juggalo

I heard a rumour Johnny Depp could play the lead. All remakes never live up to expectations.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Got me thinking.....how many more times are Hollywood going to dip into Asia to come up with a crummy remake? Is it the latest "in" thing??
    Ya only just noticed? It's been "in" for the last couple of years and shows a remarkable lack of creativity on the part of Hollywood. Think "The Ring", "The Grudge", "Dark Waters" offhand and now Martin Scorcese's "The Departed" which at least has the potential to be half decent (although I don't think "Infernal Affairs" needs remaking).

We've had plenty of moaning about it already, if ya do a search. Most of us are entirely against it but you do find a couple of odd supporters. Fellow mod, Karl Hungus, is particularly a big fan of Hollywood remakes ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

They're remaking everything they can find. Audition is being remade (from what I heard), The Eye, My Sassy Girl, plenty of other films I can't even remember. Dark Water is out soon, Infernal Affairs remake is well underway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

the japs and koreans should start doing remakes of american films, that would be funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭ChumpStain

nadir wrote:
    the japs and koreans should start doing remakes of american films, that would be funny.

No because eventually Hollywood would start remaking the remakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

nadir wrote:
    pearl harbour tbh :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

nadir wrote:

Duudo, boku no kuruma wa doko da?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

nadir wrote:
    Well on a related note, 'Infernal Affairs II' is 'The Godfather' in disguise.

Sico wrote:

LOL, not a bad idea ;)

A Hong Kong version would be better though, you could get the guys from Bio Zombie to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

ChumpStain wrote:
    No because eventually Hollywood would start remaking the remakes.
    Hehehehe :D
    Oldboy is such a good movie, I hope they don't butcher it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Thats excactly what they'll do. They'll piss all over it. And the sad thing is, because Oldboy only gives maximum impact on first viewing, the surprises and twists in it will be ruined by the watered down american version. So there will be no "Hmmm that was OK, I'll check out the original because its probably better". Even though with the twist ruined Oldboy is still an excellent film and one I've seen many times, the first time is the best.

This is the darker side of Hollywood, the worst side, the evil side. Whats wrong with just watching the original? Subtitles? If you wont see a movie because of subtitles, you shouldnt be allowed to watch movies, and in my opinion, be allowed to live.

A lot of Asian films did really well in the USA, and of course did as good as any other film in other countrys. This is just pure disrespect, and despicable behaviour by Hollywood. Shame on whoever tried to get this remake to go ahead, and on whoever gave it to them. They should of just gave Oldboy the proper release and marketing a film such as it deserves. I have no doubt that it would of done very well at the box office.

I've usually nothing against remakes, if its a good film, then its a good film. Even if its been remade several times. But this remake is; pointless, too soon and will ruin one of the best things about Oldboy. I could go on...but just let me sum it up by saying that the guy whos directing the remake is directing The Fast and the Furious 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

ugh

They're changing the dumplings to tacos

Just thought I'd mention that, it was on AICN (blegh).

Do you mean the squid?

No, the dumplings
    The ones he tracks down (distinctive taste), that he was fed when he was held captive

Ohhhhh yeah. I wouldnt be surprised if they did replace the squid with tacos though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Juggalo

They'll change the squid with a Happy Meal, Damn corporate sponsors. I hope they keep in the torture and single take fight scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

They wont leave in the whole thing about
    his daughter....incest doesnt go too well with hollywood folk
    . And I can just see them making a balls of it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Kazaanova wrote:
    Oldboy only gives maximum impact on first viewing, the surprises and twists in it will be ruined by the watered down american version.
    That's a good, point, never thought about that.

This is the darker side of Hollywood, the worst side, the evil side. Whats wrong with just watching the original? Subtitles? If you wont see a movie because of subtitles, you shouldnt be allowed to watch movies, and in my opinion, be allowed to live.
    It's a sad fact, a lot of people simply don't like subtitles.
    I could go on...but just let me sum it up by saying that the guy whos directing the remake is directing The Fast and the Furious 3
    Oh dear God I could have done without knowing that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It's a sad fact, a lot of people simply don't like subtitles.

There's a huge stigma about subtitles, but when it comes down to it, people don't let them get in the way of a film they'd want to see. Lest we forget that The Passion Of The Christ was a subtitled film, yet the intellecual dregs of American society still went to see it in droves. Hero was certainly a huge success, and nobody was put off by the subtitles. Even the large number of scenes that were in Kill Bill didn't put anyone off.

It's the stigma about subtitles more than anything. Recent films like Oldboy, Zatoichi and Infernal Affairs could've been hugely successfull too if given the proper distrobution, marketing shove and thumbs up from respected Directors. As much as I dislike the man, Tarantino's praising of Oldboy left right and center is almost a sure-fire hit after Hero.

Sico wrote:

ahahaha, or

Nihon jin pai desu

Kazaanova wrote:
    Whats wrong with just watching the original? Subtitles? If you wont see a movie because of subtitles, you shouldnt be allowed to watch movies, and in my opinion, be allowed to live.

I concur. What kind of moron would rather put up with subpar yankee 'actors' so they can save a bit of brain processing by not reading subtitles?
    nadir wrote:
    ahahaha, or

Nihon jin pai desu

*groanimasu*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

quite a few morons actually, i've had friends etc say they dont like subtitle films because they feel they will miss alot of what is happening because they are too busy reading...hence i usually end up at subtitle films alone :(

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    i've had friends etc say they dont like subtitle films because they feel they will miss alot of what is happening because they are too busy reading...

Ha, they might miss a lot of what is happening in the hollywood versions because they're watching someone making an excellent impression of a plank of wood! Hmph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Is'nt Karl Hungus a remake of angelwhore ??

;)

more of a reimagining...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

s8n wrote:

;)

It isn't wise to taunt someone who has dominion over your posts, lest you suddenly come out of the closet on the wrong board, proclaiming your love for Freddy Prince Jnr.

they're watching someone making an excellent impression of a plank of wood! Hmph.

but its such a beutiful plank of wood...

• Advertisement

s8n wrote:

;)

yeah the original was whay better :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

If hollywood didn't remake films we wouldn't have scarface. That one film makes up for every bad remake ever.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Cactus Col wrote:
    If hollywood didn't remake films we wouldn't have scarface. That one film makes up for every bad remake ever.

Well, there's that, Carpenter's The Thing, the 1978 version of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers....doesn't stop a lot of remakes being poo though. But it's not an absolute thing - a decent director, actor or even producer can make a remake worthy in its own right, just as the lack of these things can doom them.

Personally, I don't see them doing Oldboy any favours; but I'd absolutely love to be proved wrong. Considering what a good film it was, it shouldn't be too hard to do at least a competent remake - however, as has already been pointed out it remains to be seen whether the US version will shy away from the more controversial plot points and scenes from the original.

yeah, totally, hollywood used to make great movies back in the day,
    point is they dont anymore, and havn't for quite some time now.

Cactus Col wrote:

Thats completely different. Nobody has problems with remakes like that. Why a lot of people are pissed off because of the Oldboy remake, is that there was 50 years between the original and remake of Scarface but only 3 between the original and remake of Oldboy. Thats pissing all over the original. Its complete disrespect. A film like Scarface, and King Kong, they were great films for their time, and will always be remembered, but a remake of them 40+ years after they came out adding a more modern take on the story or because of better technology is very worthwhile and will always be in homage to the original.

This is NOT the case with Oldboy, its a fine film in Korea and in every other county. Theres no need for an americanised remake. Or any remake, for a couple of decades at least.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I have a friend who used to write off subtitled movies - I forced her to sit through the motorcycle diaries and now she wants more..

"show an ignorant friend a subtitled movie today!"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

nadir wrote:

tman wrote:
    pearl harbour tbh :p

rofl :D...OldBoy was awesome...i hope they dont do it.

also Scarface imo was useless so no lets not thank people for that remake...Oceans 11 was one of the best remakes in years.

had the fun of watching a group of american teenagers trying to sit through Battle Royale last night...

the problem they seem to have with subtitles was that they didnt feel any emotion to them, they kept reading them outloud in this deadpan voice and then looked at each other confused...i spent the night sitting at the back screaming out *BEAT TAKASHI* or *TAKASHI CASTLE!* everytime the big man appeared (esp at ending :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Kazaanova wrote:
    Thats pissing all over the original. Its complete disrespect.
    This isn't the first one of these threads I've followed, and I'm sure it's not going to be the last. And each time, my problem remains the same: why are you, a fan, getting so indignant about the 'disrespect' being shown to a film when the filmmakers themselves sold the rights to these remakes to the Hollywood studios? Surely if anyone should be getting upset about their film being "pissed all over", it should be those people?

Of course, you could say that the buckets of money that was probably thrown at them is enough to keep them happy - but I personally think that's a remarkably blinkered attitude.

And let's remember that remakes do not take away from the original in any way. So there's no reason to get so upset about all this.

ObeyGiant wrote:
    And let's remember that remakes do not take away from the original in any way. So there's no reason to get so upset about all this.
    Thats pretty wrong. Not in all cases of course, which is why I never care about video game adaptations or remakes normally. But with the remake of Oldboy, the surprise ending/twist will be given away.

Giving the twist away will take a LOT away from the original. The original had a certain impact upon first viewing, and first viewing only. The original of course was a brilliant film, well acted, directed etc. but its not fair that the American remake will spoil, and I really mean spoil, a good bit of the original. Because the original is one of those classic twist, kick in the balls, type movies. And I'll say it again, the remake will ruin a lot of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

It isn't wise to taunt someone who has dominion over your posts, lest you suddenly come out of the closet on the wrong board, proclaiming your love for Freddy Prince Jnr.
    think I hit a sore spot.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement