Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vieira to Juventus?

• 07-07-2005 9:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

Thought this deserved a seperate thread based on a story on SkySports:
    High ranking Juventus officials are understood to have arrived in England to negotiate the transfer of Patrick Vieira.

Reports of Juve's liking of Vieira and team-mate Robert Pires have been widespread in recent weeks and it seems the Old Lady are now pushing ahead with a bid for the Arsenal captain.

And, to the shock of many Arsenal fans, the North London giants appear willing to let Vieira leave.

Juve transfer supremo Luciano Moggi and vice-president Roberto Bettega have now travelled to London to open talks with counterpart David Dein.

The Italian champions are looking to pay no more than £12 million and could be willing to offer players in exchange to smooth over Vieira's passage to Turin.

Stephen Appiah is one name being mentioned, although that is unlikely to have stirred Arsene Wenger into allowing Vieira to leave - although the mention of David Trezeguet could have the opposite effect.

Juve have insisted that Trezeguet is not for sale, but the French star is anything but settled at the Stadio Delle Alpi and the Italians could very well include him - although that is likely to be a last resort.

Sources in Italy also claim that should Trezeguet not be on offer, than Wenger would gladly take French defender Jonathan Zebina - but Juve are not understood to be keen on letting the former Roma man leave.

With Appiah unlikely to arrive, it is claimed that Wenger has already highlighted one of Lyon's much coveted midfielders to replace Vieira.

Mahamadou Diarra - already linked strongly with Real Madrid and Chelsea this summer - is the man Wenger is said to want and the prospect of walking straight into the starting XI could very appeal to the Malian ace.

However, Lyon, as they already have done on numerous occasions and will continue to do so, are likely to resist any new moves for one of their midfield trinity, which also includes Michael Essien and Juninho Pernambucano.

It remains to be seen whether Wenger will allow Vieira to leave without having a ready-made replacement signed or at the very least lined up.

Despite the fact that Juve officials have arrived in England, Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood insists that he knows nothing of the impending talks on Vieira.

"I've heard nothing about this at all," he said.

"As far as I am aware it is just a rumour and we're talking to Patrick about signing a new contract and he seems very happy to stay."

From http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=289917&cpid=8&CLID=&lid=2&title=Juve+open+Vieira+talks&channel=football_home

12 Million won't go far towards replacing him.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Gerrard story gone now so they go back to the old reliable Vieira!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,383 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

tomorrow, Vieira considers shock move to United!

Then Chelsea bid 600 billion for him....you have to love the press!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The summer isnt the same without it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I would love to see him partner Keano at Man United it would be great lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

hah :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Most likely press speculation in the absence of anything else to talk about. The only reason I can possibly imagine for this was if Vieira told them he was planning to leave on a Bosman in 2007, and they wanted to flog him now and get some money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

The thing which I find most fascinating about this is the reputed bid — £12m. I realise Vieira has just turned 29 but I still would be amazed if Arsenal let him go for that amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Predictable as the sunrise this story.

What else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

if he wants to leave in 2007 then by all means let him-he'll be 31, will have given years of service to arsenal and of all the people who abuse the bosman i think he'll deserve it-i reckon as said above those 2 years are worth far more than 12 million...not to mention the money ud need for a replacement...

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I nearly snorted water out my nose when I read that valuation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

hes not worth more than 15. he isnt the same player he was 2 years ago, hes a lot worse, and the market has fallen since then, unless you are chelsea.

still, i hope he stays, good player to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

What would be brilliant if Vieira signalled his desire to move to SPURS!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I don't think he fits the Spurs profile of being under-23, over-rated, and over-priced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

mr_angry wrote:
    I don't think he fits the Spurs profile of being under-23, over-rated, and over-priced.
    Hey, no fair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Hi, just wondering what the Arsenal suuporters on here make of all this. i am alife long Arsenal supporter, and I could not care if he wants to leave. I am sick of these stories, linking Paddy4, away. As far as I'm concerned if he wants to leave let, him. I think last year i would have been far more p!ssed off if he had left. It is becoming a tiring, dragged out story.
    On the one hand he has done so much for the club, he has been with us since before Wenger, and has given so much.
    on the other, I just dont think he is half the player that he was.
    If he wanted to stay I think we would have heard from him. I could also understand selling him off, and starting with a younger player, who could live up to the PV4, tag. But this type of player only comes around every few years, and are very expensive.
    I think If they sell Bobby this year I would be a lot more annoyed, as for the sake of a one year contract, I think it would be a serious waste of talent.
    And the chap does weigh in with a serious amount of goals, think he was in the top5, of top scores in the Premiership this year.

Roddy23 wrote:
    On the one hand he has done so much for the club, he has been with us since before Wenger, and has given so much.

Lifelong fan??????? and you don't know that Wenger bought him from AC Milan for 2-3mil after he had a horrible time there and that why for years he said he would never go back to an Italian club and hence why he was always linked with Spain....think the paper have forgot that and just linked him with anyone to sell newspapers!!

Nelly he arrived before Wenger ever stepped into Arsenal Football cLub.
    Vieira arrived in July of the same year Wenger arrived in septmeber, after PAt Rice had coached us to 4 wins out of 4.
    If you are questioning the fact I am not a real fan, then forget about it.

Sorry it was August '96 when PV4 arrived. And he was at the club a good 6weeks before Wenger took over from Rice. I never said that Wenger didnt buy him, all I said was he was there before Wenger, as he was finishing up with Grampus Eight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The very first thing Wenger did as unoffical manager of Arsenal was buy Vieria. So you could say that he arrived before wenger but it was wenger who bought him. He also bought Grimandi too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Grimandi had a few good games, he wasnt that bad.

Real Madrid are understood to have rekindled their interest in Arsenal's Patrick Vieira following revelations that Juventus had lined up a deal for the French international.
    ZZzzzzz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

The very first thing Wenger did as unoffical manager of Arsenal was buy Vieria. So you could say that he arrived before wenger but it was wenger who bought him. He also bought Grimandi too!

Actually, it was Remi Garde who arrived at the same time as Vieira - Grimandi came the next summer, along with Petit, Overmars etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

Juventus' midfield would be near unstoppable if Viera partnered Emerson

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't know whay they never gave Appiah a chance instead of persisting with the useless Blasi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Arsenal chairman is being quoted as saying
    "I gather they (Juventus) have made enquiries but we are very undecided as to whether we are going to talk to them or not," Hill-Wood told the Daily Star.

"Patrick is aware they have approached us and it all very much depends on what they offer and what he wants to do.

"In a situation like this, you have to listen to what they say and tell the player about it.

"It would be very, very difficult to replace Patrick. We have a board meeting in about a week's time and I am sure we will discuss it then.

"We have not decided what we want to do, but my gut feeling is we would very much like him to stay."

Hill-Wood denied Vieira had lost his edge and insisted the midfielder was still highly rated by manager Arsene Wenger.

"He had a fantastic season. People say he wasn't as good as before but I don't think so. He played 44 games for us and Arsene Wenger is not going to pick him 44 times if he doesn't rate him as a player any more."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

I reckon you'll see Freddy joining Juve rather than Vieira.

How good is Appiah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

elbow316 wrote:
    How good is Appiah?
    I saw a bit of him last year as I watched Juve a good bit because I had backed them for SA and the CL.

Hes alright, gives the ball away a bit to much. No where near imposes himself on the game as much as PV would.

The offer being quoted is £5M plus Appiah. That would be an idiotic move for Arsenal IMO. They would be better off keeping Vieira for the two years and letting him go on a free. I dont think any Arsenal fan would hold a gripe letting him go on a free after all the years of service he has given them, and it would be a nice reward for him for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Roddy23 wrote:
    Sorry it was August '96 when PV4 arrived. And he was at the club a good 6weeks before Wenger took over from Rice. I never said that Wenger didnt buy him, all I said was he was there before Wenger, as he was finishing up with Grampus Eight.

Wenger, directed board to buy viera and i think reme garde. PAyed 3.5 million as far as i remember. He had broken his leg in milan, so i dont think they gave him a chance. he was a very shrewd buy for the premiership. I felt last season, some of his performances were a bit flat. but they did say he carried an injury. If they got 15 million and a decent player, then it would be hard to turn it down i think?. If i was wenger, and i did sell viera, id throw money at bayern munich for ballack....i think he could do well for arsenal, especially in europe?

• Advertisement

The Italian media are saying that there nearly positive that Patrick Vieira will sign for Juventus by the end of the day..

Vieira to sign today? Wednesday 13 July, 2005

The Italian Press have confidently predicted that Arsenal captain Patrick Vieira will sign for Juventus by the end of the day.

The French midfield player is said to have agreed terms on a contract with the Bianconeri, which will net him £2m a season until 2009.

It will also allow him to link up again with Fabio Capello, who was Coach during his short spell at Milan as a 19-year-old.

At that time, the Senegal-born player found it hard to adapt to life in the top-flight of Italian football, but has since matured into one of the most complete midfield players in world football during his time at Highbury.

Juventus Vice-president Roberto Bettega has said that Juve are in the market for a midfield player to partner Brazilian Emerson, and that “if Arsenal decide to sell Vieira we would be in for him tomorrow.”

But Bettega also stated: “I don’t tell lies – I have been asked if I plan to travel to London the day after tomorrow and I said no. That is the truth.”

However, Corriere dello Sport insist that the deal will be concluded today for a fee of £10.5m

“I will only comment once everything has been sealed. We are interested in Vieira, but we are also interested in other players,” Juventus transfer guru Luciano Moggi said.

“Juventus always keep an eye on the transfer market, and if deals can be done, we will do them - but if Arsenal want too high a fee, nothing will happen.”

Gazzetta dello Sport also insist that the player and Juventus have agreed personal terms, and that the stumbling block is Arsenal’s valuation of £11.5m.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jul13b.html

thats going to be some midfield next year

Wenger better have some masterstroke lined up.
    I thought I heard Arsenal were after Mavuba.
    Could have sworn I seen him playing for France against Ireland, and Keano bossed him around that night.
    Also seen that Villareal are after Gilberto, so it will probaly be one different midfield to what we had last year.
    Dont think he'll let gilberto go though. Remember last year when Vieira was missing at the start of the season, we won our first 5/6 games ( not too sure, but Im sure someone will correct me).
    It was gilberto, cesc, freddie amd reayes/pires playing in the middle then.
    But I do think flamini will definetly have an even greater influence next year.
    And hopefully this Hleb fella will be the business and we can add another midfielder as good as PV4 in his day.

Well, if you believe everything you read in the media, Arsenal won't have a team next season, because:

Henry is off to Barca
    Vieira to Juve
    Pires to Juve
    Campbell to Juve
    Reyes to Madrid
    Cole to Madrid
    Gilberto to Villarreal
    Lauren to some shíte Spanish team
    Ljungberg ditto

If Vieira goes for less than £17m I will be very unhappy. If Pires goes at all, I will be unhappy. Nobody else will be going anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think Pires is on his way going by his agents comments in the last few days,

LONDON (ARSENAL-MANIA) - Speaking at Arsenal's inaugural Charitable Ball, Arsène Wenger has reiterated his desire to keep all members of his playing squad together and further strengthen with the addition of up to two more signings.

When asked about possible movements in the transfer market, Wenger said: "First of all we want to keep our players, and then try to strengthen.

"We have bought Hleb, who looks to be a good player, and we still hope to bring one or two more faces in," Wenger said. He then smiled before adding, "And we hope to keep everybody!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

uventus' general manager Luciano Moggi believes that the Serie A giants will complete the signing of Arsenal captain Patrick Vieira on Thursday afternoon.

Moggi arrived in London on Wednesday to conduct talks with The Gunners after they indicated they were prepared to listen to the Turin club's offer.

The Juve director now believes that a completion of those talks is close with Vieira set to seal a switch back to Serie A, where he has played before in an ill-fated spell at Milan.

"We are on the verge of signing him, the deal should be completed this afternoon," said Moggi, who insisted that talk of a double bid that included Robert Pires was not an option.

"We are not interested in Pires," he added.

To the dismay of many Arsenal fans it has looked increasingly likely that their iconic captain would depart this summer.

After fighting off interest from Real Madrid last summer, the France international led Arsenal to the FA Cup, but it appears the 29-year-old is relishing a new challenge.

Hmmm, seems like this one has some truth.
    I assume its down to Patrick now

• Advertisement

Done and dusted according to most sites this morning (then again, so was Gerrard to Real last week) although no price or player-swap has been confirmed. Should be a good acquisition for Juve, with Cassano rumoured to joined the swelling ranks of forwards next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

I wouldn't mind if he goes as long as we get aduquete money to buy a replacement which is certainly not looking the case at the moment :(

Hang on, Real have apparently stepped in now...

Should be a good acquisition for Juve, with Cassano rumoured to joined the swelling ranks of forwards next month.

I doubt Cassano will join

Del Piero
    Trezeguet
    Ibrahimovich
    Cassano
    Mutu

all on one team??

Unless they off load one of the big names (prob Mutu) then theres no chance of cassano...even then 4 first team strikers is going to cause problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I heard Real are trying to hijack the transfer...
    Hope he goes to Juve, though!

• Advertisement

It was supposed at the time of his transfer that Mutu was only purchased to be used as a makeweight in a later deal. Whether or not there's any truth in that, or in the Cassano rumours, which haven't let up for months, I don't know. Trez' future is far from certain (and his fitness is a constant variable), and it's likely that Del Piero will get even less playing time this year - it would be best for everyone if he buggered off somewhere soon, IMHO. I can't remember if Zalayeta has left yet, but if not he'll probably go, freeing up that super-sub's position. Mutu hasn't kicked a ball in anger in a long time*, so probably won't be a starter for at least a few months.

*actually, I forgot he played one of the last games of last season, after his ban ran out. Also, Miccoli is back at Juve, at least temporarily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Done deal €20 million

Arsenal Football Club can confirm that terms have been agreed for the transfer of Patrick Vieira to Juventus for a total fee of €20 million.

At this stage, Patrick is now finalising his personal terms and conditions with Juventus.

The Club would like to take this opportunity to recognise the enormous contribution Patrick has made to Arsenal since he joined as Arsène Wenger's first signing in 1996. During his time at the Club, Patrick made over 400 first team appearances, with three years as Captain and was instrumental in the Club winning three Premiership titles and the FA Cup on four occasions.

Also during his time at Arsenal, Patrick enjoyed great success with the French national team, by winning the World Cup in 1998 and the European Championships in 2000. He also became the Captain of France and made a total of 79 caps for France as an Arsenal player.

Everyone at Arsenal Football Club wish Patrick the best of luck for the future.

Speaking to Arsenal.com, Manager Arsène Wenger said: “I share the sadness with our supporters that Patrick has left us, but on the other hand I would say to them trust us and support us. We’ll be strong next season and we need you behind us like you have always been. We will not disappoint you.

"Patrick was a great player for us, one of the greatest in the Club’s history and I feel I had a special relationship with him because I made him come here. I think his impact, not only at Arsenal but in English football overall was just tremendous.

"The sad thing is that he leaves us, but the good thing is that he leaves us on a high. His last kick for the Club was symbolic as it won us the FA Cup.

"Patrick will always be special for Arsenal Football Club, always in our hearts and our minds. All I can do is thank him for all he gave to the Club and wish him well in his career."

Patrick Vieira added: “When you spend nine years at the Club, like I did, it is a difficult decision to leave. But in the end you have to make a choice for your future. It was a very difficult decision, but I am happy with it.

"I made the decision to leave because I felt it was time for me to have a new challenge. But that does not mean I was unhappy or that I was having a problem at Arsenal.

"It was just that I had the feeling I needed to grow and meet a new challenge, and I feel Juventus was the best challenge for me.

"I‘d like to thank the Arsenal fans. They have been fabulous. Even recently in the street they were saying ‘if you are going, then thanks for the last nine years’. That is really touching and it makes me feel that I gave my best for the Club. "I can go with my head held high. I did my best every day in training and in every match, and I left shaking the hand of Arsène Wenger and Mr Dein. That was really important to me."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Wow, huge loss, but really amazing decision from Wenger.
    I think it'll be tough for him to replace him, and its probably good he cashed in on him while he had the chance, but still a huge huge loss.
    I'd give anything to see a Man United Juve CL knockout round next year, Keano vs. Vieira :)

Wait, sorry, was this for
    20 million pounds?
    or 20 million euro?

Cause if its the latter, I'm quite quite shocked, can't believe that

I am ecstatic as Man United fan, good to see Vieira is getting a chance to play for a big team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PHB wrote:
    Wait, sorry, was this for
    20 million pounds?
    or 20 million euro?

Cause if its the latter, I'm quite quite shocked, can't believe that

Yeah €20m apparently. Sky reporting that it was Stg£13.7m so that would be around €20m

Incidentaly I always thought Keane should have done this to. Probably after the treble in 99, he had won everything possibloe with Utd, maybe a new challenge in Europe would have been good for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jaysus Willem and some united fans wonder why people don't like em :rolleyes:

Its a loss but tbh his form last season wasn't great, I remember that there was some doubts about his fitness, Tony Adam's mentioned something around a year and a half ago about Paddies hip. The money is low but I am comfortable with the people that Wenger has in midfield at the moment and I am sure there is a replacement lined up.

Also a nice profit on the player as well. He cost Arsenal 3.5million in 1996, we got 9 good years out of Paddy and good luck to him in Juve.

Sorry Gandalf I couldn't resist.

/me waves the FA Cup under Willems nose ;)

Ah now Gandalf, but you can have that. 2004 - 2005 Man United bt Arsenal (2)
    oh and we beat you in the league cup :)

Trophy ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement