Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PVC window advice

• 07-07-2005 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

:confused: We are considering the windows of our house at the moment and I have a few questions:

Originally we wanted golden oak pvc, this is what we had on planning permission if we want to change will we need to reapply?

We have a stone front (blue black) and think that the golden oak windows may not look great, what do you think?

We are considering black or dark green, any advice everyone is saying that they will fade?

Finally, what about pvc sash windows, do you need to reapply for these?

Any website addresses, advice would be appreciated. Also whats the difference in cost (between black/green or golden oak or sash windows)

J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

unless the conditions specifically states the type of window you are to use or not to use, i don't think you need to reapply.

black pvc windows are very common and it's very unlikely that you would need to apply for retention. our permission stated that we could use a stone, plaster or dash finish, which is quite broad in my view. if we were changing to red brick we would have apply for retention (and get refused). windows are much less conspicious than the finish on the walls.

the best thing to do is to call the planning dept in your local aothority and ask them what you should do. make a note of the date and time, who you speak to and exactly what they said, for future reference in case there is ever an issue.

I'm told that good quality black pvc windows should have a UV coating on them, and should not fade. time will tell

the joinery that's doing my front door does really nice quality teak windows, and they cost approx 50% more than pvc. black/green pvc should cost the same as white. don't know about sash windows.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Either windows lad, brown or black, both sound nice to be honest with ya.

We have a bog oak black window, are very nice and people have commented.

Colored windows cost more than white, what percentage I cannot remember exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

Hi Levi25,

We are putting sash windows in our house. I have looked at and got quotes for PVC, wood and alu clad sash windows, and in my opinion the PVC ones just don't look right. Also they are only slightly cheaper than the ohter 2 options.

We are going for the Alu clad from Marvin, they were the dearest option but only slightly, and the difference in quality is huge.

As far as I know sash are more expensive than regular windows regardless of material used.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Wobs wrote:
    Hi Levi25,

As far as I know sash are more expensive than regular windows regardless of material used.

Sash windows are indeed more expensive, regardless of material.
    Probably due to the off standard nature of the window. And in timber they are considerably more labour intensive than casement windows.

Contrary to popular belief that they are a drafty window. Modern parting beads, parflip beads and wool pile, around the sash and the frame, now make it possible to have a completely draught proof window in timber.

kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I may have stated this already but stay away from dark colours withPVC, don't take my word for it ask your supplier for the full terms and conditions of sale, in the very very small print you will find the ten year guarantee is for white while colours are guaranteed for between five and seven years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

kadman wrote: »
    Sash windows are indeed more expensive, regardless of material.
    Probably due to the off standard nature of the window. And in timber they are considerably more labour intensive than casement windows.

Contrary to popular belief that they are a drafty window. Modern parting beads, parflip beads and wool pile, around the sash and the frame, now make it possible to have a completely draught proof window in timber.

kadman :)

Just came across this thread.

The materials used in the construction of sash windows tends to be more expensive too.

When I buy pulleys in Dublin they cost in the region of €15 each (need 4 per window) where I could buy 2 hinges for €4.

You also need 2 lifters, 2 ring pulls, a sash eye, a pole hook, a pole hook holder and if you wish to stop people (children) getting out at night then you'll need restrictors on the windows.

Advertisement