Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple Bomb Blasts in London

Options
  • 07-07-2005 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Three explosiions on buses in central London.
    Multiple explosions on the subway in London.

Jesus christ, this looks bad

Fatalities have been reported by unofficial sources

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

At first they said it was a power surge in an electric cable in the Underground, but this is looking more and more like terrorism :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 pac-man

FROM SKY NEWS

BLASTS ON TUBES AND BUS

An explosion has "ripped a bus apart" just minutes after a number of blasts on London's Underground.

Scotland Yard has confirmed there has been an explosion on a bus in Tavistock Place. Union sources claim there have been reports of blasts on three different buses.

Witness Belinda Seabrook said she saw an explosion rip though a bus as it approached Russell Square.

"I was on the bus in front and heard an incredible bang. I turned round and half the double decker bus was in the air," she said.

Scotland Yard could not confirm reports of an explosion on a bus in Russell Square. A spokeswoman said police were at the scene and attempting to determine what had happened.

The entire Tube network has been shut down following the blasts at Aldgate, Edgware Road, King's Cross, Old Street and Russell Square.

It is understood several people have been wounded in the underground blasts, with one unconfirmed eyewitness telling Sky News he saw "bodies on the line".

Blast happened at Aldgate

British Transport Police confirmed there are "walking wounded" and said paramedics have responded to one report of a person classed as "life at risk".

"It's chaos, with people trying to work out what has happened," said a spokesman.

One witness said the packed underground train he was on was 200 metres from King's Cross when there was a huge flash.

The train stopped and people were using umberellas to smash windows of the trains. Passengers were led out of the train by underground staff.

He added people were milling around King's Cross covered in soot.

Clare Benson, 33, a city banker from Kensington, was on a tube at Edware Road where the second incident took place.

"I was in the last carriage at the back of the train nearest the tunnel when I heard a huge bang - you could feel it," she said.

"The lights went off for a couple of minutes and people were scared and wondering what to do.

"The drivers got out and were looking into the tunnel, then they announced that we should evacuate. My ears are still ringing and I was shaking."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

People are trying to get up to date news on that thread and don't want any speculation, so its best to talk about stuff here aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

what sort of response do you think the G8 leaders will give to this?

• Advertisement

They will go nuts I think.
    Britain hasn't been attacked by somebody from outside their country in quite some time, and they will have a firm response once the culprits are located.
    Bush will give a speech about his allies in the fight for freedom, how we all must share this burden and stuff.

do you think it will have a rallying effect or a negative effect towards the bush/blair alliance? While i would personnally feel it would have a negative effect i'm thinking that it will probably have a positive effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    what sort of response do you think the G8 leaders will give to this?

making poverty history and global warming will get the short shift at the G8 conference now....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Probably they'll find it was that same fella that attacked america back in 2001 (chap from Saudi) and Bush will come to the aid of their cousins across the pond by attacking Venezuela :rolleyes:

i dont want to sound like an evil c*nt but damn conveniant for the old war on terror...esp with the G8 conference on. All the uncomfortable elements that might have been pushed to certain world leaders can now be brushed under the table.

• Advertisement

Indeed, Making Poverty history has almost been a waste now.
    Blair was the key figure pushing for Making Poverty History at the G8 Summit, and now the summit will revert to anti-terrorism.
    Another victory for the terrorists

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

Speaking of victory for the terriorists im surprised they dint hit yesterday morning would scuppered londons plans for 2012

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

At a guess I'd say it was timed to coincide with the start of the G8, I've heard that there was already a lot of extra security brought up to deal with the rioting anarchists, and any expectations of a terrorist attack would have been focused there, leaving London a relativly soft target.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

Wicknight wrote:
    At first they said it was a power surge in an electric cable in the Underground, but this is looking more and more like terrorism :(

Yeah, the whole "power surge" story kind of came under fire following the explosion of 3 buses, didn't it? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

PHB wrote:
    They will go nuts I think.
    Britain hasn't been attacked by somebody from outside their country in quite some time,

Well, in fairness, if you count the 'RA campaigns, its not that long ago.
    and they will have a firm response once the culprits are located.
    Why wait to locate the culprits? I thought the done thing nowadays was to start throwing accusations about regarding who you want to blame.

I must say, I'm curious as to whether this is timd to coincide with the G8 (because security there is so tight, resources were shifted from places like London), to coincide with the announcement of London becoming the 2012 Olympic host, or something else entirely.

I'm not gonna speculate as to whos behind it (yet), but it is a good indication that diverting security to high-profile events doesn't actually solve anyone's security problems.

Hopefully someone will start asking the awkward questions :

- Would this have been as possible/likely had security not been diverted to Gleneagles
    - If not, then what has the purpose of all the post-September-11 security "improvements" actually been?

jc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Yeah, the whole "power surge" story kind of came under fire following the explosion of 3 buses, didn't it? :eek:

1 bus

Well the IRA were always technically internal terrorism.

I know people tend to tar Bush and Blair with the same brush, but I don't.
    I have total and utter respect for Blair, and his speech just now only furthered this respect.
    I don't think he is just gona go gung-ho into an attack somewhere, he will do what he feels is best, and he isn't stupid.

Rew wrote:
    1 bus

Have you considered checking the news recently? It's more thn 1 bus.

any news from other leaders at G8?

Have you considered checking the news recently? It's more thn 1 bus.

Im watching BBC who just explicitly said it was one bus despite rumors it was 3. Feel free to consider checking the recent news.

• Advertisement

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4659331.stm
    1118 London's Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair tells the BBC he knows of "about six explosions", one on a bus and the others related to Underground stations. He says he believes the six affected areas are Edgware Road, King's Cross, Liverpool Street, Russell Square, Aldgate East and Moorgate, but says it is "still a confusing situation". He advises Londoners to "stay where you are - all of London's transport is currently disabled" - he refuses to confirm any fatalities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Blair is leaving the rest have resloved to stay and continue.

Rew wrote:
    Im watching BBC who just explicitly said it was one bus despite rumors it was 3. Feel free to consider checking the recent news.
    Certainly a 2nd bus was also blown apart according to ambulance services 15 mins ago.
    Theres a rescue operation going on underground near Kings cross also apparently.

All the information is confused at the moment as people are dealing with the situation.
    One things for sure, deaths will rise.UK government sources say 20 roughly so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

PHB wrote:
    Well the IRA were always technically internal terrorism.

I know people tend to tar Bush and Blair with the same brush, but I don't.
    I have total and utter respect for Blair, and his speech just now only furthered this respect.
    I don't think he is just gona go gung-ho into an attack somewhere, he will do what he feels is best, and he isn't stupid.
    You should probably do a bit more reading on Blair, so:) for example read up on the Iraq dossier. Then read up on the second one.

The guy is as crafty as they come, he has a better image than Bush because he is a very natural speaker and very at ease with himself, but he is not good people at all.

But regardless of who leads a country, no civilians deserve to be caught up in this kind of stuff.

It's funny, I expected something like this to happen in London sooner or later, but I'm still stunned that it's happened!

I love that attitude, he doesn't agree with me, thus inturn he is ignorant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It was to be expected tbh,
    G8 and the olmpics bid,
    they got the biggest impact and coverage possible.
    It was only a matter of time before they hit the UK.

Earthman wrote:
    Certainly a 2nd bus was also blown apart according to ambulance services 15 mins ago.

Looks like a rumor, everyone is back to saying one bus and either 5 or 6 tube stations. Would have thought they would have hit a load of buses an secondary tragets ones the tube closed. Hopefully there are no more attacks to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

stevenmu wrote:
    At a guess I'd say it was timed to coincide with the start of the G8, I've heard that there was already a lot of extra security brought up to deal with the rioting anarchists, and any expectations of a terrorist attack would have been focused there, leaving London a relativly soft target.

if they attacked the G8 that would have just been plain stupid. if say they had killed either Jacques Chirac or Gerhard Schröder for instance who the french and german people had voted for then suddenly their respective nations view on the war on terror and iraq would change. this would of course lead to a bigger onslaught on the war on terror. now by attacking london you could imagine that a lot of nations are hoping they won't be hit like the incidents today, bali and madrid

Rew wrote:
    Looks like a rumor, everyone is back to saying one bus and either 5 or 6 tube stations. Would have thought they would have hit a load of buses an secondary tragets ones the tube closed. Hopefully there are no more attacks to come.

Methinks someone dislike the taste of sour grapes and is eager to cover up to the possibility that he's wrong, perhaps? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

danniemcq wrote:
    if they attacked the G8 that would have just been plain stupid.

Because it only had possibly the best security and most of the British police force were moved to Scotland to deal with the rioting. It would of been a perfect time to attack when there are less police services. They have also crippled the transport infrastructure of London.

Advertisement