Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the point?

• 05-09-2001 1:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

-

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 05-09-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

What's the point in removing someone's ability to delete their own post if they can just do what I did with my post just now (above)?

Not trying to restart an argument... not saying I'd prefer it the other way... just curious as to what people think.

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Would it be possible, like if someone starts a thread and then deletes there first post would the thread remain.

I think I would a decent feature to have, but in a heated debate you'd look quiet the dumbass is someone deleted the post you were replying to.

-

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 05-09-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I think it's pretty crappy to not be able to delete your own posts... a feature I miss sometimes.
    It comes in very handy when you've made a double post, or have gotten completely the wrong end of the stick, and want to delete your post before anyone reads it and finds out what a total nutter you are.

And what's wrong with someone deleting a thread they started?
    As far as I can see, it's never really been a problem in all the years its been enabled.
    Why only lately?

SONIC.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

[This message has been edited because I_can't_delete_it (edited 05-09-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The option was removed because some mongs in the audience (you know who you are) felt that if the thread wasn't agreeing with them they would delete the whole thread erasing other peoples posts.

This way you can still delete your own comments, you just can't delete other peoples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

I think the ability to delete your own threads within an hour of posting them would be great. Just in case you make a mistake.

Or how about being able to delete them if there are no replys yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

he's back!!!
    we all knew he couldn't stay away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Well Bard, I think you know why. Remember a certain thread on humanties (afaik)? You posted some inflamitory stuff and then you deleted your post which, because it was the first post, deleted the entire thread, including perfectly valid posts by other innocent (or not) poster.

This is a problem with the UBB code (again afaik) and rather than have people who iniate posts, not like the way the thread us going and delete their first post and consign other members opinions into the trash it came to pass that no posts could be deleted by non-mods/admins.

Surprised you've forgotten already Bard, usually your fairly anal about this sort of stuff wink.gif

Speaking of anal, nice to have you back Bubbles tongue.gif

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "[amp] may have the respect of the plebs on the other boards" - WWman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Ah Bard you know I wuv you smile.gif

What I was getting at is that while the ability to delete ones own posts is desirable, it isn't currently possible without the possibility of deleting the whole thread (DeV/Cloud correct me if I be wrong)

Better to have a blank looking post then an entire thread dead by accident(or intention) IMHO. And until there is a technical way around that we're stuck with it.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "[amp] may have the respect of the plebs on the other boards" - WWman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

This is an issue that has been resolved already, currantly no damage can be done to other peoples postings when you delete your own. It's not perfect atm, but there's some decisions to be made on other functionality of boards.ie, (and the underlying system), before Cloud and Dev etc look into making the 'perfect world' as regards this and other things. Be patient and all will be fixed in time.

For the time being, you can edit the content out of your posts, while it might throw a thread out of context or just look plain wasteful/messy, at least it doesn't delete other peoples postings, which they might have spent time and effort on to make their point, hence giving you power over the direction of conversation.

Luc

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by amp:
    Ah Bard you know I wuv you smile.gif
    </font>

*giggle*

--

cheers,

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

I haven't forgotten actually, amp.

I've only looked for peoples opinions - never said I personally disagreed with the delete option no longer being available.

My take on it is that the delete option should be available, but only within a very short time after the post has been made (5 or 10 minutes for example) - and that it shouldn't be available at all in the case of the first post in a thread - that way it's far less likely to screw up the flow of a thread or to cause problems like what we had with that thread you're referring to.

As for your comments about me being 'anal', - while I honestly couldn't care less that that's your perception of me, I can't say I'm pleased that it is. It's unfair to judge someone purely through what you see on a medium like this. If you actually knew me, you'd probably think quite differently. Anyway... nevermind ... smile.gif

Welcome back bubbles.

Bard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Couldnt we have the ability to delete non topic start posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

if the delete option exists it makes everthing thats posted after it totally irrelavant.

Possibly it might be allowed only if theres nothing posted after the post in question confused.gif

Neway- the edit option does the trick smile.gif

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:
    What's the point </font>

Its this really great place to play in Dublin biggrin.gif

Eddie Vedder quote from a joke he told @ the Pearl Jam concert last year biggrin.gif

[sorry lads I couldn't resist!]

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

Advertisement