Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Articles]House of Robert McCartney’s partner attacked by mob

Options
  • 07-07-2005 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Hagans home attack

By Conor McMorrow c.mcmorrow@dailyireland.com

The home of murdered Belfast man Robert McCartney’s fiancée and their two
    young children has been attacked with stones and bottles.

A window was broken with a stone, and glass bottles were thrown at the front door of the home of Bridgeen Hagans and her two sons in the Short Strand area of the city in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Details of the incident only emerged yesterday.

Mr McCartney’s sister Paula Arnold told Daily Ireland last night that the family believe the attack was carried out by locals who do not agree with their campaign for justice.

“Bridgeen is very shaken up after what happened. Her four-year-old son Coneald was woken up and was screaming after it happened,” she said.

“Coneald has to attend a psychiatrist to help him deal with everything and this certainly won’t help him.”

Ms Arnold said a crowd of youths had gathered on the green beside Ms Hagans’ house at around 2.10am on Saturday morning when the attack took place.

She said: “Some local people are blaming loyalists for the incident. However, the PSNI have a camera pointing from the PSNI station in the direction of Bridgeen’s front door and they have confirmed that no strangers went down the road on the night.

“They say they didn’t see who threw the stone and bottles but they do know that it came from the green.

“I believe that it was definitely locals who were behind this. There are obviously still people in the area who do not agree with our campaign to bring Robert’s killers to justice.

“We are hoping to meet with Sinn Féin over it. Local people have also requested a meeting after Friday night. They are not standing for this.”

A spokesperson for Sinn Féin yesterday said the party “totally and unreservadly” condemned any attack against Ms Hagans or any other member of the McCartney family.

“We unequivocally condemn any acts of intimidation or acts of violence against the family.

“The family have our full support in their endeavours and Gerry Adams will be meeting with them over the next few days.”

The McCartney sisters and Ms Hagans are also due to meet Taoiseach Bertie Ahern and the British Secretary of State Peter Hain next week for further talks about their continuing campaign.

Mr McCartney was murdered on January 30 following a row at Magennis’s Bar in Belfast.

His fiancé and sisters launched a high-profile campaign after his death in a bid to bring his killers before the courts.

A man was last month charged with Mr McCartney’s murder.

I think this is yet further evidence of how disagreeing with the tribal line can bring only misery while living in one or either of Northern Ireland’s two sectarian fiefdoms. It was always inevitable that group think would take over the Short strand and Republican areas of Belfast at some point in the aftermath of the McCartney murder. In a society where both sets of perpetual victims see all developments in nothing other than the deluded terms of their political obsessions, the zero sum game would in time visit itself upon the McCartney family. There was no other way. Just as Unionists seemed congenitally unable to question their orthodoxy of sectarian one party rule, Republicans can see little or no fault in the IRA.

The North is a world of black and white – there are no shades of grey. In the never-ending struggle each side sees itself engaged in the world must be viewed in such mind numbingly simple terms. How else could northern protestants and catholics have continued their quasi-war for centuries if they’d left every event and action open to meaningful and balanced analysis. Their distorted outlook would have collapsed long ago had each had its inconsistencies and fatal flaws exposed to real scrutiny. Thus, everything is watered down to the most thoughtless of arguments – ‘them bad, us good’; ‘if they didn’t exist we’d have a paradise’; ‘compromise rests solely with themun’s’ and of course ‘you’re either with us or against us’.

And the last sentiment is exactly where the McCartney’s have crossed one of North’s invisible tribal lines. Just as woe betide any Unionist that publicly questions the orange order, hell hath no fury like Republicans when one of their own dares to question the integrity or nature of the IRA. The McCartney relatives have committed an unspeakable act in the parallel world of Northern society – they had the temerity to publicly stand up and cast doubt on one of their own sides shibboleths. And as they now know to their cost no Northern Republican is allowed to question the IRA in front of outsiders.

I’d even go further. I doubt any northern Catholic or Protestant can question either sides dearly held and often diametrically opposed beliefs without a detrimental impact upon their lives. This latest shameful affair is yet more evidence of how sick Northern society really is. In the miasma of each sect’s tribal world there is no freedom of speech, no challenge to orthodox opinions and no room for dissent no matter how well reasoned. I suppose both sides of a bitterly divided society will always embrace fanaticism to mask and explain away their impotent rage at the world.

Furthermore, I wouldn’t be in the least way surprised if the young hoods that did this can all express flawlessly the superficial tenets of modern ‘peace-loving’ Republicanism. ‘The other side are all to blame, the IRA are and were only ever a loving charitable group interested only in equality and harmony and anyone that questions this must be anti-peace. So, that makes the evil, treacherous, Brit-loving and probably West Brit covert unionist McCartney bitches fair game.’ After all, Republican ‘social-workers’ have so effectively rewritten history in the areas they’ve saturated that young people today have a view of the ‘Ra totally divorced from reality. Remember, anti-IRA = anti-peace and anti-Irish.

And yet strangely, a growing number of voters in the Republic want this closed world of group think foisted upon them. Welcome to Ireland in the 21st century.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

One of Robert McCartney’s sisters is also planning to move from the area:
    'Killers' in street force murder victim's sister to move

By Tom Peterkin, Ireland Correspondent
    (Filed: 07/07/2005)

A sister of Robert McCartney, who was beaten and stabbed to death outside a Belfast pub, is to leave the home she has lived in all her life so that she does not come into contact with people she believes were involved in her brother's killing.

Paula McCartney said the strain of living in the Short Strand area of Belfast had become too much.

Mr McCartney's fiancée Bridgeen Hagans, who with his five sisters has campaigned to bring justice for her late husband-to-be, also intends to move from the Catholic area.

Her house was attacked last week.

Miss McCartney, 40, said: "The fact that a significant amount of people who were allegedly involved in Robert's murder continue to walk around the area quite freely is too much to take. It really is."

A man has been charged with the murder.

Daily Telegraph

I have to say that her remarks that a number of those involved in McCartney’s murder are still walking around the area is a damning indictment of Sinn Féin’s concern for justice in the North. Then there’s the equally rancid sectarian group think that goes on in the fiefdoms of either tribe in the North that has seen these brave women bullied and harassed to the point of leaving their homes. I wonder when the brave lads are down the pub raising a glass to their struggle against British oppression does the suffering they’ve inflicted on this family even cross their minds. But of course it doesn’t. The only martyrs in the North are true Republicans. No one else has suffered and as for these women – they’re traitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I think SFIRA have been wishing for the good old days when they could have just dragged off the sisters, executed them and claimed they were touts and that would be that. And a lot of naive, gullible people would accept that as being the truth, because SFIRA never lied to them and told them ****e to justify themselves before. Like how it was the British Army that killed that Derry girl when SFIRA knew it was their sniper who murdered her all along.

Media attention has been excrutiating for them buts its slowly easing off because the SFIRA intimidation has been so effective and Gerry Adams one man quest for the truth hasnt really turned up all that much - surprising, given Irish1s unswerving faith in the man, Id have throught hed have arrested the whole crew by now. Theres a lot of news out there and when theres little movement in a case, theres little to report. Two men have been charged, true, but I doubt theyre anything other than dead wood cut loose for the good of the organisation.

And the amusing thing is that SFIRA claims crinimals cant be part of the SFIRA movement, and that the murder was a crime not directed by SFIRA (important distinction), but those two men are happily existing in prison with their SFIRA buddies? Why arent SFIRA up in arms over the crinimalising of their volunteers by being jailed with common murders!?! Whats next? Pickpockets? Rapists? Bank Robbers? SFIRA are a very snobby brand of crinimal to put up with that sort of thing.

I think it would be wisest for the family to move out. Adams and the boys have backed the murderers to the hilt. They havent even revealed the identities of the members they suspened in such fanfare. SFIRA will happily murder women and children if they believe it in their interests, and their "mandate" will swallow any ****e theyre told to explain it, like they always have. Hell, hit and runs where pannicked drivers back up over their victims happen all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I really fail to see how the actions of a few thugs has anything to do with Politics, we have gone over the political issues surrounding Mr McCartney's terrible murder here several times, I really don't have anything more to say on this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

TBH this reads like a load of kids/idiots just being what they are best. Idiots.

If it was the IRA they would leave a bullet behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

irish1 wrote:
    I really don't have anything more to say on this matter.
    Thank goodness for that. I was expecting a tirade from you of how SFIRA have nothing to do with the poor fecker's murder and now this disgusting menace aimed at his survivors. Fcuking SFIRA are twats and the twats that eat their spoonfed sh!te and can't see the wood for the trees must have some sort of brain defect.

MT, I reckon your right-the north is completely socially fcuked and will be for a long time. Keep it away from us down here-we're not interested thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

irish1 wrote:
    I really fail to see how the actions of a few thugs has anything to do with Politics, we have gone over the political issues surrounding Mr McCartney's terrible murder here several times, I really don't have anything more to say on this matter.

It's interesting SF inform us that IRA "community policing" is a regretable byproduct of the lack of policing in their community, and the locals cry out for the IRA restore order.

Considering the organised rioting which greeted the arrest of the lead suspect way back in january, and the IRA's demand that no one stand in the way for the Mc Cartney's search for justice, the fact that the gurriries must be doing this while the IRA turn a blind eye, or with their tact support.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

A few kids throw bottles and stones at a house, brings an other chance to have a good ol boards.ie rant at SF.

Completely agree with Hobbes and Irish1 here

jank wrote:
    A few kids throw bottles and stones at a house, brings an other chance to have a good ol boards.ie rant at SF.

Completely agree with Hobbes and Irish1 here

And ignores the IRA's iron grip over rioters in the area and their willingness to use and organise their kids to further their own agenda.

Do you not believe that the moving of the eldest sister from the neighbourhood is a victory for the IRA, and a credit to the campaign of haressment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote:
    Only if it served their own interests!.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Wheely

Im sorry MT, are you sugesting that everyone in NI is polarised into a simplistic, pro-IRA or pro-Unionist mindset. I think thats a little simoplistic an explanation for a very complicated conflict. To state that "The North is a world of black and white – there are no shades of grey" is ......well....ridiculous, in my opinion.

Wheely wrote:
    Im sorry MT, are you sugesting that everyone in NI is polarised into a simplistic, pro-IRA or pro-Unionist mindset. I think thats a little simoplistic an explanation for a very complicated conflict. To state that "The North is a world of black and white – there are no shades of grey" is ......well....ridiculous, in my opinion.
    I'm sure he means most people and not everyone seeing as he's from NI himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭79cortinaz

personally i find a lot of the attitudes on this board concerning the north and its very complicated political field to be very niave and uninformed.

I find MTs statement that "The North is a world of black and white – there are no shades of grey" to be a very strange statement to come from someone from the north, as he/she should know that that isnt the case.

79cortinaz wrote:
    personally i find a lot of the attitudes on this board concerning the north and its very complicated political field to be very niave and uninformed.
    It's not that complicated at all. Bunch of idiots A, hates bunch of idiots B, with a small smattering of rational people sprinkled about to taste. Admitting it's simplicity is a big problem for the two tribes because then there's no reason to continue the blame game.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

murphaph wrote:
    Only if it served their own interests!.

I'm pretty sure anything they did would be spun. "SF scare neighbourhood into not hassling the sisters" :rolleyes:

murphaph wrote:
    It's not that complicated at all. Bunch of idiots A, hates bunch of idiots B, with a small smattering of rational people sprinkled about to taste. Admitting it's simplicity is a big problem for the two tribes because then there's no reason to continue the blame game.

please do me a favour and avoid discussing the north with me, as you dont seem to grasp whats happening up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

murphaph wrote:
    MT, I reckon your right-the north is completely socially fcuked and will be for a long time. Keep it away from us down here-we're not interested thanks.

I was talking to some northern (protestant) lads who work down here and they were amazed at Dublin, to quote one "its fantasic down here the women dont care what religion you are", another said "i'm amazed you would drink with us, we were taught that all you fenians hated us" (he needed to be corrected on his use of fenian)

The quicker the North can create a decent economy for itself the sooner they will loose the tiagh/billy boy BS.

Nuttzz wrote:
    I was talking to some northern (protestant) lads who work down here and they were amazed at Dublin, to quote one "its fantasic down here the women dont care what religion you are", another said "i'm amazed you would drink with us, we were taught that all you fenians hated us" (he needed to be corrected on his use of fenian)

The quicker the North can create a decent economy for itself the sooner they will loose the tiagh/billy boy BS.
    Exactly-a bit of a distraction is all they need. Society here is far from perfect but it's certainly a lot more liberal than and open minded than up there. Things have changed quite dramatically in this Catholic state for a Catholic people! (thank fcuk, I hate religion).

79cortinaz wrote:
    please do me a favour and avoid discussing the north with me, as you dont seem to grasp whats happening up there.
    I'm not surprised at all with this "if you don't listen and accept what I say then I refuse to talk to you attitude". Not surprised at all.

no, on the contrary. Ive been 'discussing' things with you for a day or so now and you still talk unsubstaniated waffle with no substance in reference to the north. Its not from your experience but from what you saw on telly and what others have told you the north is about/like. im sorry, but I can only bear that kind of talk for so long before losing interest altogether.

• Advertisement

79cortinaz wrote:
    no, on the contrary. Ive been 'discussing' things with you for a day or so now and you still talk unsubstaniated waffle with no substance in reference to the north. Its not from your experience but from what you saw on telly and what others have told you the north is about/like. im sorry, but I can only bear that kind of talk for so long before losing interest altogether.
    So only people from Northern Ireland should discuss Northern Ireland on boards? That sounds like it could work (oh wait-northerners discusing things amongst themselves hasn't exactly been the greatest of successes has it?). You have a problem with me accepting what others have told me about the north, and not blindly accepting your POV as fact. It's not-it's just your POV just like my POV is my POV. That's where we differ-I can accept that an opinion is just an opinion, not necessarrily fact. Like I said before, if you want to run away from debate to your own personal opinions and be comforted by them, fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

And ignores the IRA's iron grip over rioters in the area and their willingness to use and organise their kids to further their own agenda.

Fair play to the McCartneys for standing up to the IRA and its leadership.

Tribal Politics will get NI nowhere. A Mob attacking the late Robert McCartneys partners house is not an isolated incident.

The McCartney family recieved many threats.

Fair enough. i do actually respect your right to your own opinion, as I do mine

the problem I have is how you berate people in the north, as though they're all thickos who fight each other for no reason, and you dont wish to hear of any alternative to that. The conversation just goes round and round and round ...

THATS why I'm bowing out of this thread. You believe things are fine as they are as long as though silly northern people cop on and wise up. Like as if "oh wait-northerners discusing things amongst themselves hasn't exactly been the greatest of successes has it?" is a very astute and fair minded comment.

I think thats a niave and far too simple view, but as they say, opinions are like arseholes as we all have them.
    murphaph wrote:
    So only people from Northern Ireland should discuss Northern Ireland on boards? That sounds like it could work (oh wait-northerners discusing things amongst themselves hasn't exactly been the greatest of successes has it?). You have a problem with me accepting what others have told me about the north, and not blindly accepting your POV as fact. It's not-it's just your POV just like my POV is my POV. That's where we differ-I can accept that an opinion is just an opinion, not necessarrily fact. Like I said before, if you want to run away from debate to your own personal opinions and be comforted by them, fine.

79cortinaz wrote:
    Fair enough. i do actually respect your right to your own opinion, as I do mine

the problem I have is how you berate people in the north, as though they're all thickos who fight each other for no reason,.

you're the one on another thread claiming it's an outrage that a former terrorist, realised under the GFA is re arrested for among other things, rioting at a footie result,

Care to tell us the reason for that?

79cortinaz wrote:
    the problem I have is how you berate people in the north, as though they're all thickos who fight each other for no reason, and you dont wish to hear of any alternative to that.
    I've only berated idiots who lob bricks at each other over a police line. Twats. As pointed out by myCroft in another thread-the latest reason for republican rioting with loyalists wasn't terrible british oppression-it was losing to Rangers. Like I said, bunch of twats and any attempt to justify rioting over a football match is pathetic in the extreme.
    79cortinaz wrote:
    THATS why I'm bowing out of this thread.
    Like I've said before, if you want to throw the debating towel in, feel free, but don't blame everyone else for your retreat.
    79cortinaz wrote:
    You believe things are fine as they are as long as though silly northern people cop on and wise up.
    That's about the height of it, yes. Some northerners have already realised this some time ago. There are still plenty that like throwing things and damaging public property.
    79cortinaz wrote:
    I think thats a niave and far too simple view, but as they say, opinions are like arseholes as we all have them.
    I think that makes at least a dozen flippant comments from you. care to stick to factual debate without diversionary spin tactics (a la a SF member interview)?

murphaph wrote:
    I think that makes at least a dozen flippant comments from you. care to stick to factual debate without diversionary spin tactics (a la a SF member interview)?

79cortinaz I've got to admit any attempt by you to claim the moral highground, by bowing out, is giving you altitude sickeness.

For example no matter all the fine words about SF's social and environmentaly policy theres the incoherant delusional attitude and the hypocracy of the behaviour of it's paramilitary wing; for example the high minded attitude of SF's outrage at "green issues" is laughable when you consider the entire waterboard of Co Louth was put in danger by illegal diseal washing byproducts from the IRA's lucractic illegal fuel black market scam.

Many posters have provided lucid and coherant points about the Nth and SF, backed up with specific examples; you've dismissed them with SF platitutes and vague patronising claims that they "no nothing about the north" when in fact they're the ones who are supporting their issues and points with facts and you're fighting back with vague dismisals.

bow out, you're out of your league, danny morrison has a message board you'll find a willing audience for your attitude there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

mycroft wrote:

For example no matter all the fine words about SF's social and environmentaly policy theres the incoherant delusional attitude and the hypocracy of the behaviour of it's paramilitary wing; for example the high minded attitude of SF's outrage at "green issues" is laughable when you consider the entire waterboard of Co Louth was put in danger by illegal diseal washing byproducts from the IRA's lucractic illegal fuel black market scam.

I agree. The McCartneys stood up to the IRA. I hope more in NI will follow their example.

It is time that society in NI is normalised, polarised politics is like scraping the bottom of the barrell.

Targeting the McCartneys is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

mycroft wrote:
    you're the one on another thread claiming it's an outrage that a former terrorist, realised under the GFA is re arrested for among other things, rioting at a footie result,

Maybe you might want to let Bertie Ahern and a few others know why Sean Kelly was arrested, because I believe there are many eye-witnesses who say his role at that gathering you refer was to try and calm people, he was not involved in any violence.

So lets have it mycroft, what are these "other things" he was involved in???

Sean Kelly was released under the terms of the GFA that was supported by the majority of people on this Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

So lets have it mycroft, what are these "other things" he was involved in???

Sean Kelly was released under the terms of the GFA that was supported by the majority of people on this Island.

You mean apart from murdering people ordering fish and chips?

Kelly was released under the terms of the GFA which the provos have failed to live up to. Hain, who is the most provo friendly Northern Secretary in living memory, was presented a case that outlined Kellys involvement in directing rioting and attacks on protestant areas. Under the rights assigned to him he decided Kelly wasnt living up to the conditions of his release ( his release wasnt a right, it was a *privledge*) and put him back in prison.

Which was also under the terms of the GFA which was supported by the majority of people in the UK and the Republic.

I did however find it charming that Adams was campaigning for the release of this murderer on the same weekend he was signing books of condolence for the bombings in London.

Surely as a man who had no problems with bombing London or celebrating the achievements of those who did, he should be able to understand OBL position?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement