Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i wanna buy a game this evening, lil help

Options
  • 07-07-2005 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

right, i haven't bought a computer game in about 15 years.

not realy into stratagy, just want to blow the 5hit out of stuff.

i've a dell inspiron 9300 laptop.

so what's good? i've been hearing alot of good things about half life 2.

how much are they? about €50?

i'll prob need to bring a mouse home too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

PC games are closer to about €35 usually, except big new releases. Not sure how powerful that laptop is but I'd recommend Unreal Tournament 2004 based on your criteria. Much more action packed than Half Life 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Ye'll need broadband to be able to play hl2 even in single player mode the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Installing and activating HL2 works fine over 56k. It will just be a bit slow to activate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

UT2004 is a good suggestion, but tbh, for a fraction of the price you'd have the same basic thing with the Original Unreal Tournament - still a fantastic game and only about 8 euro.

Although, do you perfer story driven games? A classic game for the type you seek is either Postal 2, or believe it or not, the old game "Red Faction" - literallly blow **** up. And its only about 7 euro. :)

If its new games you after in the mindless blasting category, you cant go wrong with Battlefield Vietnam or Unreal 2004. (or unreal 2003 for 12 euro)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

ye a strory would be good too, played red faction a while back on mates playstation 2, not a bad game.

whats postal 2 all about?
    UT2004 is a good suggestion, but tbh, for a fraction of the price you'd have the same basic thing with the Original Unreal Tournament - still a fantastic game and only about 8 euro.

Although, do you perfer story driven games? A classic game for the type you seek is either Postal 2, or believe it or not, the old game "Red Faction" - literallly blow **** up. And its only about 7 euro. :)

If its new games you after in the mindless blasting category, you cant go wrong with Battlefield Vietnam or Unreal 2004. (or unreal 2003 for 12 euro)

• Advertisement

www.gopostal.com

Postal 2 is ok. Good if you want some sensless violence and somthing different, but I would go for Half Life 2 over it.

What spec is your laptop?

its this one here, http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&id=inspn_9300&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

got a gig of ram in it, mate says half life will play ok.

not online at home yet, so wont be able to install half life.

Could you bring it into work or oever to a friends? You only need to connect when installing.

Is it the X300 or 6800GO gpu you got? Go to start>run type dxdiag in the box and it will show you there.

its the X300, that ok?

You should be ok with that. UT2004 and HL2 should have no probs playing on it.

• Advertisement

cool thanks for the input lads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

u got broadband? give BF2 a go lots of stuff to blow up :)

i bought soldier of fortune 2, gold edition.

the game wouldnt install, i tried twice and it crashed. cant be the laptop, it's brand new.

i'll try one more time tonight.

has anyone played this?

told guy in shot i wanted somthing prety violent and good craic.

SoF2 is a pretty generic shooter with alot of violence. It gets tedious in the later levels. Multiplayer is good, but you probably won't find many playing (and the lack of internet connection might cause problems with MP :p)

i'll have to get it installed first.

dont have bb sorted at home yet.

do people still play worms by the way? great game

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

ah worms ...an excellent lan game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

i think the best mindless fun shoot em up is Serious Sam, you should be able to pick up for next to nothing now, i would have given it to you but i donated a load of old games to my mums auction night :D
    i have Return to castle Wolfenstein knocking around here if you want it?

i remember wolfenstein!

thanks for the offer, there was a load of pc games for around 1.50 in game, i'm sure this would prob be there.

i'll have a look for serious sam too.
    superfly wrote:
    i think the best mindless fun shoot em up is Serious Sam, you should be able to pick up for next to nothing now, i would have given it to you but i donated a load of old games to my mums auction night :D
    i have Return to castle Wolfenstein knocking around here if you want it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ciaran500 wrote:
    SoF2 is a pretty generic shooter with alot of violence. It gets tedious in the later levels. Multiplayer is good, but you probably won't find many playing (and the lack of internet connection might cause problems with MP :p)

There are hundreds of servers for MP 1.0. He more then likely bought the Gold Version, which last time I checked, few weeks ago, had a few hundred also?

Ive been playing it over a year, not once has there been less then at least 40/50 servers up.

As for Sof2, yes, thats actually perfect for what you want....pity it not working for you. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

have a look at what your graphics chip can do

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2427

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Far Cry is a good game, you should be able to pick it up fairly cheaply.

Advertisement