Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Radio Kerry

Options
  • 07-07-2005 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭

I listen to Radio Kerry on the internet, and a question occured to me:

Is Radio Kerry heard all over Ireland or just in Kerry (and southern Clare, west Limerick, and northwest Cork)?

The programs are broadcast from three locations simultaneously (over here we call that "trimulcasting." Clever, huh? ;) And many of the commercials are for Kerry businesses, and that makes me think the station is heard only very locally.

Thanks to anyone who satisfies my curiosity about this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i can pick it up in Dungarvan, Co. Waterford on 97.0 FM

and yes it is local radio oddly for the people of Kerry but others are unfortunate to also pick it up so it must be a pretty strong signal. only so many mart reports can a person take

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Happy Bertie

Radio Kerry broadcasts using 6 FM transmitters.
    97.0FM from Mount Mullaghanish 15,000 watts ERP at 2,500 feet
    97.6FM from Knockanure hill 2,000 watts at 400 feet
    96.2FM from Cahersiveen, South Kerry
    96.2FM from Tralee (it's shilded by a 2700 mountain from Cahersiveen)
    96.6FM in Dingle
    97.?FM in Killarney
    It can be heard clearly as far north as Galway and can be heard throughout counties Cork, Limerick, Clare with more fringe reception in several other counties.

The secret is their 97 FM transmitter which is 15,000 watts at 2,500 feet which provides blanket coverage over most of Munster province.

Advertisement