Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Couriers

Options
  • 07-07-2005 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Has anyone ever done this job before
    if so can you tell me the ins and outs of it
    what pay u would get equipment needed
    all that kinda stuff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A pothole / car-scrape resistant bike. Two locks, one of them easy to lock / unlock without being insecure. Water bottle & snack bag. A helmet and sunglasses, padded shorts, fingerless gloves and knee pads wouldn't go astray. :( Rain gear if you want it.

I think the courier companies usually provide the bag. :D You are paid per job, based on distance. The vast majority of bikes are self-employed and consequently you need public liability and personal insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

Victor wrote:
    A pothole / car-scrape resistant bike. Two locks, one of them easy to lock / unlock without being insecure. Water bottle & snack bag. A helmet and sunglasses, padded shorts, fingerless gloves and knee pads wouldn't go astray. :( Rain gear if you want it.

I think the courier companies usually provide the bag. :D You are paid per job, based on distance. The vast majority of bikes are self-employed and consequently you need public liability and personal insurance.

Or just call cyclone-01-4757000 or call in to stephens st upper office. They provide uniform, bag, raingear. All you need is a map, a grasp of english and the understanding that this may be the worst decision in your life-(cyclone charge €300 for the gear BTW) and your starting 3-4 months may break minimum wage(dont count on it)
    Don't worry about insurance- there is none- just dont break the road laws and you will be fine. Dont think it is a job for the summer, you won't get it.

Couriers are catagorised as self-employed but not the case(dont ask-classic Irish gov stuff) as you are taxed at source- worst of both worlds- your stamps dont count.

ps
    "I think"
    another expert.:rolleyes:

unless you are really into cycling and can run your bike well and have a good idea of dublin traffic, I would not be very encouraging, but if you want to go for it, go on- try cyclone or first direct, maybe DHL sameday. they treat their staff ok.
    And of course- none to very few jobs available in the summer(students and such)
    good luck with your choices.
    Regards

Advertisement