Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Power Line Shenanigans

Options
  • 07-07-2005 5:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

BPL , the dog that wont die . Interesting summary of current rcutions over this technology in the states at the momentm , not least the story that a startup got $100m in VC funding from some who should know better .

http://www.broadbandreports.com/?cat=BPL

Broadband Reports themselves are suitably cynical about the whole thing. It all reminds me of the Alchemy Boom in the 15th Century :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Wasnt the ESB heavily investing, at one time at least, in this broadband over Power Line technology???

What ever became of it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

zuma wrote:
    What ever became of it???

It did not work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It also causes fairly serious RF noise problems as the powerlines are totally unsheilded (they were never intended to carry signals) so they start behaving like transmitters and screw up certain radio frequencies. I've read it's a big problem in areas where it was rolled out.

Unfortunately, the telephone network's just more practical for broadband with the current available technology anyway.

It'd make a lot more sense in Ireland to get the pretty extensive cable networks broadband enabled a.s.a.p. they've serious potential and have just suffered from massive under investment as both NTL and Chorus were in pretty poor financial shape and never got their upgrade plans off the ground. Hopefully, the new merged UPC entity that will replace them fairly soon will be able to do it!

ESB's backhaul infrastructure's potentially very useful though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The ESB trialled 2 systems in Tuam. I understand that 'issues' arising from one of them were not addressed by the manufacturer who basically did a runner post install.

Neither was a success really, I'm not even sure if they are still switched on. The ESB will stick to being a great fibre provider .

In a maritime country such as Ireland we don't need this stuff swamping the long range marine safety systems with interference .

• Advertisement
Advertisement