Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planes over Dublin on Thursday

• 07-07-2005 6:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭

[font=Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Linkie

[/font][font=Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]NOTHING TO DO WITH LONDON[/font]
    [font=Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]
    Three Air Corps planes and a Garda helicopter flying over Dublin city centre today resulted in a rash of calls to the Defence Forces from people wondering whether their presence was due to today’s attacks in London.

T'was the boys in green, flying their flying machines, doing some practise for [/font][font=Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]next Sunday’s National Day of Commemoration, an annual event held in memory of Irish men and women who have died in [/font][font=Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]past wars and on UN service.
    [/font]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

A lot of people in my office were startled to hear the loud drone of the planes fly by.
    Many of my colleagues just stared out the window in confusion as it happened.. almost waiting for the expected explosion to happen.
    That drone sound was just so like the noise when the jets hit the WTC.......... scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

That drone sound was just so like the noise when the jets hit the WTC.......... scary.

Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

whiskeyman wrote:
    A lot of people in my office were startled to hear the loud drone of the planes fly by.
    Many of my colleagues just stared out the window in confusion as it happened.. almost waiting for the expected explosion to happen.

Pilatus PC-9's sound nothing like Boeing 737's.
    Were you in the WTC on 9/11?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

UK Police: More than 50 dead, and likely more. Final numbers are not likely to be 3 figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

civdef wrote:
    Really?

Yep, I know it sounds too weird; I know a lot about planes, and the sound of the low-flying AirCorps planes sounded like a jet; lust like the sound of the engines on the footage of the first plane before it hit the tower. At first I thought to myself 'when did the AirCorps get some jets, then I thought it might just be a flyover by the RAF/British-based USAF, just checking or whatever.

One of my colleagues who was smoking outside came running in shouting that there were fighters in the sky! She was spooked, then I went out when we heard the second pass and saw what they really were. In fairness they were doing a very good formation-turn!

I know that one is a large jet and one is a tiny prop, but it must have been how low they were flying.

IMHO flying AirCorps at low level right over town was one of the most reckless things that could have been done. Truly retarded decision making there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Once again those on the the Oirish Government payroll make an awful decision. But sure isn't that what they were hired for? :rolleyes:

Surely *someone* would have thought, "eh, hang on. London has just been hit by terrorists. If we start flying planes at low altitude over the city, it could cause a panic. Maybe we should wait till tomorrow or the weekend....". Idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭ciaran76

seamus wrote:
    Once again those on the the Oirish Government payroll make an awful decision. But sure isn't that what they were hired for? :rolleyes:

Surely *someone* would have thought, "eh, hang on. London has just been hit by terrorists. If we start flying planes at low altitude over the city, it could cause a panic. Maybe we should wait till tomorrow or the weekend....". Idiots.

Why London is in England and has nothing to do with Ireland why would people panic ? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

dearg_doom wrote:

IMHO flying AirCorps at low level right over town was one of the most reckless things that could have been done. Truly retarded decision making there.

i disagree. they were flying over my building as well. They sounded nothing like jets and were immediately recognisable as being props

as for the decision to go ahead with the test flights, i see nothing wrong with the decision. nobody in my office was in the least bit spooked by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

This isnt the first time they've been flying in formation over the city. I can remember at least 2 other occasions in the last 6 months when i seen them. But obviously, given the events in London yesterday its natural for people to be a bit more apprehensive and start making links between that and the planes flying over the city.

ciaran76 wrote:
    Why London is in England and has nothing to do with Ireland why would people panic ? :rolleyes:
    For the same reason other major European cities went onto "Terror Alert" yesterday. When people get scared, they act irrationally. Even though it was in London, I'm sure a lot of people here were extremely apprehensive at best.

• Advertisement

I disagree. they were flying over my building as well. They sounded nothing like jets and were immediately recognisable as being props

Indeed. They were very recognisable as props.

seamus wrote:
    For the same reason other major European cities went onto "Terror Alert" yesterday. When people get scared, they act irrationally. Even though it was in London, I'm sure a lot of people here were extremely apprehensive at best.

Some European cities did not at all go on "Terror alert". As Scruff said earlier on its not like they haven't flown over Dublin before. Some people put 2+2 together and get 5.

ciaran76 wrote:
    Some European cities did not at all go on "Terror alert". As Scruff said earlier on its not like they haven't flown over Dublin before. Some people put 2+2 together and get 5.
    Exactly, and that's why you have to think first. Even an announcement beforehand on any radio station that "The Air Corps will be performing flight exercises over the city today".

seamus wrote:
    Exactly, and that's why you have to think first. Even an announcement beforehand on any radio station that "The Air Corps will be performing flight exercises over the city today".

Suppose so ,there is alot of stupid people out there !!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

landser wrote:
    i disagree. they were flying over my building as well. They sounded nothing like jets and were immediately recognisable as being props

as for the decision to go ahead with the test flights, i see nothing wrong with the decision. nobody in my office was in the least bit spooked by it.
    I was inside a building, and in fairness, it was a subjective thing.

I was wrong of course.

And as for your brave colleagues, good for them:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

dearg_doom wrote:

And as for your brave colleagues, good for them:p

ah, maybe they just have at least half a brain :rolleyes:

What exactly were people worried about?

Planes / helicopters fly low over the city centre all the time- some of them louder than these ones.

Advertisement