Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Internet

• 07-07-2005 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

I'm very fond of my internet and any hint that I won't have it at Trinity freaks me out. I'm planning on geting a laptop before I go off to Dublin and the one I have my eye on has an Intel Card (the Intel 802.11b/g wirelessMPCI to be specific). I just checked the Trinity page about wireless internet and my card is not on their approved list - in order to get one I'd have to "downgrade", something I'm loathe to do. So does Trinity really mean that they won't let you on the wireless network if you don't have the officially listed cards?

The page listing the Allowed Cards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

no, but they might be less than eager to help you configure it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Your card should be okay - even though it's not explicitly mentioned the Intel cards should all be fine. However - I don't think any part of the student network is on 802.11g so you'll have to make do with 'b'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

aodh_rua wrote:
    Your card should be okay - even though it's not explicitly mentioned the Intel cards should all be fine. However - I don't think any part of the student network is on 802.11g so you'll have to make do with 'b'.
    Ye wireless networks are designed with compatibility in mind. your card should be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

I'm very fond of my internet and any hint that I won't have it at Trinity freaks me out. I'm planning on geting a laptop before I go off to Dublin and the one I have my eye on has an Intel Card (the Intel 802.11b/g wirelessMPCI to be specific). I just checked the Trinity page about wireless internet and my card is not on their approved list - in order to get one I'd have to "downgrade", something I'm loathe to do. So does Trinity really mean that they won't let you on the wireless network if you don't have the officially listed cards?

The page listing the Allowed Cards

That should be fine. Any card that supports LEAP is okay (unofficially, they also do PEAP, though it doesn't shift between cells well at all). In fact, that card you have is specifically covered by " Intel Centrino inbuilt" on the page; Centrino comprises a Pentium M and an Intel wifi chipset. And you'll be using it in b mode, unless unexpected upgrades happen.

I'm stuck using PEAP, due to elderly laptop and wifi card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Shadowlands

Ah, OK. Thanks all, you guys are clearly more knowlegable on this stuff than I am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

ah yeah you should be grand i had a similar problem and they were quite helpful once they got past, wait a few days and come back and see if it works stage.

rsynnott wrote:
    That should be fine. Any card that supports LEAP is okay (unofficially, they also do PEAP, though it doesn't shift between cells well at all). In fact, that card you have is specifically covered by " Intel Centrino inbuilt" on the page; Centrino comprises a Pentium M and an Intel wifi chipset. And you'll be using it in b mode, unless unexpected upgrades happen.

Erm, PEAP is IIS's primary choice for authentication.....And LEAP is older than PEAP if i'm not mistaken.........

iirc there was talk from iis or cs about implementing peap authentication for wired nic's also

aodh_rua wrote:
    unless you count the maths network ;)

ooh. maths network. there's a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭fluppet

We have wireless in the maths computer rooms?! You learn something everyday...

• Advertisement

You do learn something new everyday, i think serenity (i'm counting the days til ian's next name change) should explain a bit about the maths wireless network.

3 cisco 1200 series b/g AP's, radius server based mac authentication. with go faster stripes....

Serenity wrote:
    Erm, PEAP is IIS's primary choice for authentication.....And LEAP is older than PEAP if i'm not mistaken.........

Yes, LEAP is older than PEAP. That has little bearing on anything. PEAP is NOT IIS's primary choice, and in fact you have to ask specifically to find out it's available. The problem with PEAP on the TCD WiFi network is that it's incapable of handling machines moving between access points gracefully, hence if you're in an overlap area (House 6, parts of the Arts block), the connection gets unhappy. This isn't an intrinsic problem with PEAP, rather it's a problem with the implementation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

i wanna maths account. Gimme...

rsynnott wrote:

Sorry i took that to mean you were implying peap was older......

And old laptop matters cause? iirc leap is implemented in the drivers no? (and in seperate software under linux.. xsupplicant)

hehe, we got ian all excited.

Serenity wrote:
    Sorry i took that to mean you were implying peap was older......

And old laptop matters cause? iirc leap is implemented in the drivers no? (and in seperate software under linux.. xsupplicant)

Nyet. LEAP is a proprietary hardware security protocol by Cisco, now licensed to most of the big players in the market. You do also need a piece of software (Windows Wifi tools, Xsupplicant, Cisco's supplicant, whatever) but it doesn't DO all that much. MSCHAPv2/PEAP is software dependant.

get him serenibobo. get him!

hehe, we got ian all excited.
    i was curious kev, i'm quite happy to be wrong if i learn summit.......

rsynnott wrote:
    Nyet. LEAP is a proprietary hardware security protocol by Cisco, now licensed to most of the big players in the market. You do also need a piece of software (Windows Wifi tools, Xsupplicant, Cisco's supplicant, whatever) but it doesn't DO all that much. MSCHAPv2/PEAP is software dependant.
    I'm quite well aware of what leap/peap are, though to the best of my knowledge and anyone else i've talked to/cisco websites seem to imply aslong as the h/w supports 802.1.x authenticication leap can be implemented in the driver/software. Though cisco gear does it faster in h/w its not required these days.

PEAP is NOT IIS's primary choice, and in fact you have to ask specifically to find out it's available. The problem with PEAP on the TCD WiFi network is that it's incapable of handling machines moving between access points gracefully, hence if you're in an overlap area (House 6, parts of the Arts block), the connection gets unhappy. This isn't an intrinsic problem with PEAP, rather it's a problem with the implementation
    Emm I do thing we talk to people in different circles, PEAP is the preferred method these days, and the only one even mention'd in the campus wireless meetings. CS have stopped LEAP support completely even. And those issues with roaming between AP's are isolated, i've roamed with PEAP using xsupplicant on the iis network no bother.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭fiachs

I know this was the original question asked but ISS say that they'll ONLY put you on wireless if you've certain cards... there's no 'other card' option on the wireless connection form online. I assume that it's not a question of compatability so why would they have this restriction?

fiachs wrote:
    I know this was the original question asked but ISS say that they'll ONLY put you on wireless if you've certain cards... there's no 'other card' option on the wireless connection form online. I assume that it's not a question of compatability so why would they have this restriction?
    Cause cisco/intel are expensive relyable brands, they don't want to have to be dealing with flaky ****e brands causing issues on the network. I can just imagine plenty of users moaning cause stuff doesn't work when its more due to their card just being rubbish......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Basically, you can still get on with other cards if they're compatible etc., but you'll get no sympathy from ISS if you come in moaning bout it not working :P

Advertisement