Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

MSN switch off Request

• 07-07-2005 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭

I've MSN 7.0 installed on my pc that I use regularly. The problem I have is that there was an earlier version pre-installed on it and as soon as I switch on the old version comes on automatically and works in the background.
    I've uninstalled it using add/remove-windows components and trying to switch it off using admin tools but it keeps working.

Anyone know how to get rid of it??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

dwaned wrote:
    I've MSN 7.0 installed on my pc that I use regularly. The problem I have is that there was an earlier version pre-installed on it and as soon as I switch on the old version comes on automatically and works in the background.
    I've uninstalled it using add/remove-windows components and trying to switch it off using admin tools but it keeps working.

Anyone know how to get rid of it??
    Run msconfig and goto startup and look for msnmsgr(.exe), thats the new version. there should be another one like msmsgr.exe that's the old one that runs in the backround, untick that one and save. voila!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

pre_installed version would be Windows Messenger. Different to MSN Messenger.

start/run/gpedit.msc

> Admin templates
    > Windows Components
    > Windows Messenger > Double click the "Do not allow windows messenger to be run" > select the "Enabled" radio button > OK.

will stop that problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭dwaned

OK, ran msconfig and swithched off msn from there, worked at first but is now just signing back on:-(

Then tried start/run/gpedit.msc, thats as far as I got. I just got a message saying 'windows can not find gpedit.msc'.

Any other ideas that might work?

Thanks to both of you for information.

you dont say what OS you're using.

gpedit works for XP and 2000

sorry it's XP home edition

• Advertisement

w00ps.

group policy editor not available in XP Home.

sorry about that. So used to Pro that I just assumed that was the OS you were using.

[edit]
    from ms_support site:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q302089#3

alternative:
    http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/messenger/messenger.php#rem47

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

its not that hard. Click 'Start' then 'Run' Copy and paste this into the box and press enter

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

all done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭odie

Nice post MP3Guy....that worked a treat for me.....was too lazy to go looking for a way to get rid of it.

Thank you all,

Seems to be gone at last.

Advertisement