Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night Life?

• 07-07-2005 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

What's the night life in Kilkenny like? Im used to goin out in Carlow but a few of us are goin to Kilkenny for a friends birthday for a change! Any suggestions on what pubs and clubs to go to? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭kazper

Kilkenny is your oyster! Matt the millers on johns bridge is a gr8 place to start, then biddy early's! Great cocktail menu there, on up to breathnachs, before ya hit langtons for a boogie :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Matt's... just stay there, go early set yourself up in a booth/at a table and stay there till 3 am.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 **rainbowcake**

Do ya not think by goin out on kilkenny for the first time i should go to a few bars though? Would it not be a bit pointless stayin in the one place all night? Is matt's a pub or nightclub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭kazper

all pubs mentioned in my post except langtons, this is club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

What's the night life in Kilkenny like? Im used to goin out in Carlow but a few of us are goin to Kilkenny for a friends birthday for a change! Any suggestions on what pubs and clubs to go to? Thanks :)

As was mentioned on a previous thread-the coo is THE place to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I guess it depends on your age and/or "tastes"

personally I'd avoid most of John St like the plague

I did like Breathnach though

Matt the MIllers is like a cattle mart, never yet had a comfortable night there
    (though have had fun nights)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bigmouth

Heading to Kilkenny this weekend, where is good to eat? Before heading out to somewhere lively enough but that isn't so loud you can't have a conversation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 jenna_

no no no no no!
    If you want a really god night in Kilkenny stay AWAY from John Street!!!
    You want to be going to Carpe Diem on Kierans Street to start, move onto the Pumphouse if you want cosy friendy mad cap locals or lanigans if you want a crowd then either the venue or nero's for night clubbing. you follow this you are guaranteed a good night and no rows-fights happen on john street!!! all the feckin time is not a good place to party-you have been warned!!

bigmouth wrote:
    Heading to Kilkenny this weekend, where is good to eat? Before heading out to somewhere lively enough but that isn't so loud you can't have a conversation?

I know I'm anti John Street-BUT lemongrass over Breathnachs pub is the best place to eat-The best chinese in town is Pearls in Irishtown. then you want to go to the pumphouse in parliament street! If it;s a saturday night go upsatirs in the pumphouse, cosy seating and a good corwd and it's easy to chat.

The pump house is a fúcking hole.

John

• Advertisement

everyone has their own opinion but i've never known a rough night there-if you want a middle of the road place that everybody likes then Carpe Diem's your place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Lump wrote:
    The pump house is a fúcking hole.

John

The pump house is an absolute dive. Its full of arty student types and i have never found it anyway comfortable to enjoy a pint in. Cleeres or The Widows or at a push Anaconda are much better bars on Parliment St.

John St has a very bad rep but i have lived there for 29 years and there are no more or less fights on it than there would be on Rose Inn St, Hight St or Parliment St.

PS
    Avoid Lannigans at all costs (and Biddy Earlys, The Killford Arms, Club 51/De Coo) as it is full of Dubs and hens and stag parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

mick_irl wrote:
    The pump house is an absolute dive. Its full of arty student types and i have never found it anyway comfortable to enjoy a pint in. Cleeres or The Widows or at a push Anaconda are much better bars on Parliment St.

John St has a very bad rep but i have lived there for 29 years and there are no more or less fights on it than there would be on Rose Inn St, Hight St or Parliment St.

PS
    Avoid Lannigans at all costs (and Biddy Earlys, The Killford Arms, Club 51/De Coo) as it is full of Dubs and hens and stag parties.

Pumphouse is a nice place imo.
    Sound staff and the owner is dead on too.
    Good music and nice food during the day.

Can't really fault the pumphouse tbh, but it might be more of a 'Locals' pub than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

jenna_ wrote:
    The best chinese in town is Pearls in Irishtown.

Maybe that should be "was Pearls". No sign of it reopening since the "fire" :(

Like the others suggested, avoid the pubs/clubs near the top of John Street like the plague. You see all the Dubs/Hens + Stags coming off the train on Fridays and heading for the Kilford and the dreadful nightclub attached to it. The pubs in Irishtown are good. You'll probably end up in a nightclub anyway. A lot of people head to Langton's but the bouncers can be a bit funny about letting people in when it gets too late. Plus, you might get squashed becaue for some inexplicable reason, that's where the crowd always goes. The Venue or Nero's aren't bad either.

I'm into comfy places, langtons is the epitome of a cattle mart! and it'll take you half an hour to get to the bar to order a drink-awful and uncomfortable and filled with dubs cos that's the only place they seem to know about!
    Pumphouse is definately a locals place-bar staff& owner are dead on and if they get to know your face you don't need to ask for your drink-in fact on a quiet nigth they have it waiting when you get to the bar-even have your guiness settling for you-really class!

What like any bar?

I'm not defending Langtons, but on a busy night, well it's busy. So I can understand queues. The Pump house makes you wait if it's really busy.... hell when anywhere is busy you have to wait. WOW, they have your pint waiting for you on a quiet night, what an achievement!

I think the managment of the pump house is fine. Its the Bellends that frequent it that I dislike.

John

well any pub I go to I never have to wait more than a few miniutes to order cos I like the quieter places-I like to have room to get the pint to my mouth in comfort :) so if that makes me a bellend a bellend i am

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bigmouth

jenna_ wrote:
    everyone has their own opinion but i've never known a rough night there-if you want a middle of the road place that everybody likes then Carpe Diem's your place
    Thanks for that, had been and gone by the time you replied and funnily enough had ended up in Carpe Diem. Nice little pub too, cocktails were lovely.... :)

is a lovely place deffo! :)
    glad you enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 15 fairylove

The Pumphouse rocks, one of the best bars in town, good music and the staff are the greatest bar staff I've ever encountered. They're why I love the place. I'd call them friends now, not just people who sell me alcohol. It's such a good place to make friends, everyone's just so nice.

• Advertisement

IMO, the pumphouse (dumphouse) is possibly one of the worst bars in KK. the same people who drank ther 7 years ago are still there, and stare out anyone who aint a regular.
    its too cliched and too full of idiots from my old school.

not sayin' anything about you fairylove, tho, maybe its just your kinda place

I agree, all the druggies that have been drinking there years and doing nothing with their lives, totally stare people out that aren't recognised.

John

mention of druggies will only increase there clientele :)

i did like the pumphouse, that was maybe 5 yrs ago. there was a stoner crowd, but also was part of a nice night moving from o riada to there to cleeres, to widows before that place went down hill

dunno how it stays open now

i miss cleeres and phil catching ur eye despite how many were at the bar looking for a pint.

god i need to start drinking again

What happened to Widows tbh, I used drink there about 5 years ago, was a great night out, went back there around christmas..... it were crap.

John

they did it up
    the crowd changed

I stopped making appearance :)

I actually dunno where Iwould go for a drink now if amate called to the door

and I worked so hard having a "local" (Cleere's was it) though also liked Fennellys, never seemed to mind me kissing the ex , and some good music there at times

Its gonna be a night club eventually ?

there should be a Boars/Kilkenny/Beers

Wonder would we have anything in common other than kilkenny ?

... well I'm in London, so not much chance of me going ;)

John

whatever happened the widows? it used to be the place to be about 5 years ago-always packed, now its half empty on a Sat night.

Or is it half full?

John

nah, its half empty!!! well it must be if its for sale

• Advertisement

Think its for rent not for sale (Widows).
    Strange the way to changed sooo completelyso quickly.
    THough one of the owners (not Mick lol) is a bit, I dunno words come to mind but might be libelous.

Is Cleere's no longer for sale ?

Advertisement