Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is It Just Me Or.....

• 08-07-2005 1:08am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does everyone else's broadband drop out from time to time lately

I have recently only noticed this in the mornings, 12.00am and onwards, although my pc may not be on, my router always is so i can notice the PPP/ACT LED off/blinking green to reconnect to the server

Although a few days ago it went off at about 8.00pm or so for a while....

If its not just me, is there some upgrading or some maintenance being done?

PS im on the 3MBit digiweb unlimited account, not that it matters because 99.99% of the time its an Eircom related problem

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm sorry to report that its just you, :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Dont mind Cabaal :D ,I'm with you on this one,mine keeps dropping(Ntl). :rolleyes:

Phone calls tomorrow,hello sir,what seems to be the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I have eircom 2 meg

and it does the same damn thing, it's annoying!

eircom aren't do **** about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Happens to me too I think it's simply the DHCP server giving you a new IP and for usage accounting for the limited accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Well, at about 11 or 12 at night, every 2 days my router automatically disconnects, in order to update the bandwidth statistics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

mp3guy wrote:
    Well, at about 11 or 12 at night, every 2 days my router automatically disconnects, in order to update the bandwidth statistics.

As others have been pedantic to me...now I shall be the same to you mp3guy.

Bandwidth is how fast you can transfer data...use irishisptest.com and its measured in multiples of Bytes/second.
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/b/bandwidth.html

So please stop confuseing people by saying their bandwidth is being calculated on a daily baisis, as it is not!
    The download/upload usage is being calculated on a daily baisis and its measured in multiples of Bytes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Hi Juliuspret.

Many ISP's use Radius/PPPoE to perform authentication and accounting (i.e. data usage per session).

The usage information gets sent to the accounting servers only after a session has been closed. So it would follow that some ISP's will force the PPP session to close so that the amount of upstream/downstream data over the circuit in the current session can be accounted for correctly.

(This could then be used to update the data monitoring pages for their customers to keep an eye on their usage).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Snaga,
    Please stop getting mixed up about the usage of the word bandwidth...its really annoying and must confuse the life out of a lot of people(includeing yourself).

Bandwidth is like velocity (Distance/Time).
    Usage is like Distance.

Basically when you say bandwidth used, you are telling me how fast you could transfer data and not how much data you transferred.
    AFAIK bandwidth is not capped...unless you think(like I do) that 2M/128k is a form of bandwidth capping?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

I take your point, I have edited my post to make my meaning a bit clearer.

Sorry about my little rant...but all it takes is someone like yourself with over 1000 posts to get something like bandwidth mixed up with usage and others who have recently joined will begin using such technical words incorrectly.

Before you know it everyone will be using it incorrectly...chaos...hahaha!!!

mp3guy appears to be my next target!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

careful, mp3guy is a "made guy" ;)

Bang...Bang...Hes dead now...hahaha!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Look out! The pedants are revolting.

Advertisement