Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl bb w/Linksys WRT54G router - not getting IP

• 08-07-2005 9:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭

I have ntl bb (3mb) and a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. Both working great, until this morning. 36 hours since last use.

I was connected to the router wirelessly but couldn't get to the Internet so I checked the modem (sync & rdy lights on - good). Rebooted router. No change. Rebooted modem and connected laptop directly - works.

Multiple reboots of modem and router but no change (router Status page shows 0.0.0.0 for IP address). Changed cable between modem and router to known good one but no change.

Restored factory defaults on router but no change.

Anyone else seeing this? I'm in Dublin 15.
    Any chance the modem detects a router and won't issue an IP?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Blue Ice

This problem appears to happen mainly in Dublin 15. The only solution I’m aware of is leave the router and modem connected and after about 2 hours, the router picks up the ip address. Call ntl tech support and see what they say :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I've tested the router on a DHCP network in an office and it picked up an IP immediately so this points back to the ntl modem.

Strange that it only started happening today, no problems like this in the 11 months I've had it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I have precisely this set up. I had this same problem once, and did the same things you did. I found that leaving the modem and router off for an hour sorted it. Maybe 10mins would have been enough, I don't know. But also it's important to boot the modem first, then (after 2 mins) the router and finally the PC.

Oh, I'm in D24, if you think it makes a difference.

NTL probably won't help if the modem is OK. The router is not their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Redmonda

I have exactly the same setup: ntl bb, Linksys WRT54G. When the modem's sync and rdy lights are on, I never have any problem connecting. I connect with 2 desktops, a laptop, and a pda. Very occasionally my main desktop loses its wireless connection, but at worst a reboot of the PC brings it up again. I never have to reboot the cabel modem or the Linksys router.

I'm in D24, but I really don't think there can be a geographical effect here.

Could the problem be with your laptop or its configuration? Any other device to test connectivity?

Redmonda wrote:
    Could the problem be with your laptop or its configuration? Any other device to test connectivity?
    I'll try with my wife's laptop. No harm in ruling it out, as unlikely as it might be. My laptop can connect direct to modem, direct to router and wirelessly to router okay. The router's status page lists all zeros for the IP address it got from the modem.
    I found that leaving the modem and router off for an hour sorted it. Maybe 10mins would have been enough, I don't know. But also it's important to boot the modem first, then (after 2 mins) the router and finally the PC.
    I turned modem off for 30 mins (router had been off for a few hours), turned back on; 10 mins later connected router and then laptop (via ethernet cable). No joy. :(
    Will give modem a few hours down time this evening. Might hard code IP address into router (I can see that it's leased for a few days) and even put my laptop's MAC address in.

I rang a guy in ntl (when you've complained about their digital product as often as I did you eventually get ntl calling you) and pointed him to this thread. He dismissed the Blue Ice answer but endorsed the spannerhead suggestion.

Damn this is so frustrating....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Boomer23

dude, come on, if it works direct to the Laptop yet its not working through the Router, ye think it might be the router????????????????

I dont "work in IT" like half the people in the country , but common sence will tell you its NOT the modem if its giving you an IP address connected driect to the Laptop

try call Linksys!!!!!!!!!!!

I got the router to clone the MAC address of the laptop and it now works.
    I suspect that the core issue is something to do with ntl and their DHCP leasing setup. I'll contact them on Monday to look into this - hopefully flush my old entry.

Boomer23 - in post #3 I tested the router on another network and it was fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

daymobrew wrote:
    I suspect that the core issue is something to do with ntl and their DHCP leasing setup.
    Boomer23 - in post #3 I tested the router on another network and it was fine.

it's got nothing to do with ntl's dhcp - face facts its the router or the modem but as your laptop is getting an ip then this rules out the modem

I assume you've had the router connected for a while to the modem?
    you suddenly have problems, reboot modem & connect your laptop directly, and everything works fine.. ie the ntl dhcp server assigns an ip address to your laptop.

regarding post # 3 - was this with a specified ip or using dhcp?

re blueice post - if the laptop gets an ip immediately then there's no reason a router or anthing else connected to the modem will not do the same.
    I doubt if ntl's dhcp 'sees' it's a router and decides it doesn't like it cos ntl won't support networking *cue sudden spate of conspiracy theories

you could try this:
    reset the router to factory settings first & then power it off
    connect the laptop that works directly to the modem
    check ip to make sure it's a proper ntl one & you can get online
    release the ip
    reboot the modem [not connected to laptop / router]
    wait for the modem to lock on (sync & rdy)
    connect ethernet lead to router and power on router
    does enet led on modem light?
    yes - modem sees that router is there
    no - check leads
    is the light on full or flashing?
    full - router not responding to modem
    flashing - both 'talking' to each other - u should get an ip
    another thing to try

power off the modem & disconnect the catv cable lead from the back
    power back on after connecting to the router & power on the router
    check router ip - if it's still 0.0.0.0 then it's def the router

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Blue Ice

daymobrew wrote:
    I rang a guy in ntl (when you've complained about their digital product as often as I did you eventually get ntl calling you) and pointed him to this thread. He dismissed the Blue Ice answer but endorsed the spannerhead suggestion.

Damn this is so frustrating....

I have installed allot of linksys routers in Dublin 15, Lucan and Tallaght areas (ntl BB) and 90% of the time, the linksys in D15 does not pick up the ip address. (If left connected within 2 hours it picks up the ip address) The same linksys connected straight away in Lucan and Tallaght (ntl BB). I do not what the problem is but I do know it happens with ntl modems in D15. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Boomer23

re: post number 8

yes, its the DHCP, its a RACIST DHCP, it will only gove IP addresses to modems. Oh massa!

And do you think you are the ONLY person on the NTL network to have a router? Coz if the NTL DHCP only assigns Ip addresses to its modem how come my bro has a router on NTL that works fine???

ive an idea.........GET A BELKIN

• Advertisement

ntl deleted references to my router's mac address from their DHCP server and all is well now.

Thanks for the comments :rolleyes:
    GET A BELKIN'
    'the linksys in D15 does not pick up the ip address'
    'ye think it might be the router????????????????'
    'it's got nothing to do with ntl's dhcp - face facts its the router'

RE post #3: It was DHCP.

Advertisement