Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

css or template

Options
  • 08-07-2005 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am new to dreamweaver even though i have some html and lots of PC expierence, i am doing up my first real site, and trying to figure out.... if i have a banner and nav bar that will be same on all pages is it css or templete i want to put these components into.

i know too little about too much and forget the basics....

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you are using DW then insert the banner and navbar as a template object and then make each page using the template.
    Alternatively, design a nice template using whatever method and save it as template.htm. This page will contain your navbar, banner and a space for text/other images. Then use this as the foundation for each page.

Google for more info on templates

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Another option would be to save the entire thing as php and use includes for the bits that you want to "template". It would make updating elements easier than using the DW method, as DW would need to change all pages created using that template and upload them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Aye, php includes will save a lot of time and effort. For example make your template page with everything layed out as it should be, then cut out the menu section and put it in a file called 'menu.php'. In the template simply put
    <?php  include ("menu.php")  ?>

in place of the extracted code and the menu will be loaded.

This way when it comes to editing the site menu, you only need to change one file (menu.php).

Same can be done for a banners, headers, footers... basically anything that is site-wide and may need to be changed all at once.

Advertisement