Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creative Zen or iRiver h10

• 08-07-2005 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭

So Im gonna buy one of these, most likely the Creative, can someone give me a tip off as to wear to buy them, preferably in one of the M50 shopping centres:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭JoeKelly

Hmmm you'd be better off buying it over the internet from amazon or somewhere like that they tend to be terribly over priced in this greedy country! Go for the creative...is it the zen micro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

yeah, thats the one, the micro. I only want 5/6 gigs and a decent battery life. id buy it off the internet, but really, when i spend that kinda money, i dont like waiting to play with the gizmo, plus i doubt the price difference will be more than 20 quid anyway.

anyone know of shops in Blanch, Pavilions or even Dundrum/Liffey Valley where I could get my mits on both and see which I like best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Aint exactly sure where is best to get them but i'd have to suggest you get a H10 instead, much better , ive had both. Between me and my mates we've had 4 micro's and they've all had the same problem, audio jack gets loose and you have to hold it in palce to listen properly, which is a joke. Looks cooler too, but is a bit more pricey afaik.

my 2 cents anyway

Adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Draupnir wrote:
    yeah, thats the one, the micro. I only want 5/6 gigs and a decent battery life. id buy it off the internet, but really, when i spend that kinda money, i dont like waiting to play with the gizmo, plus i doubt the price difference will be more than 20 quid anyway.

anyone know of shops in Blanch, Pavilions or even Dundrum/Liffey Valley where I could get my mits on both and see which I like best?

Bcool in Pavillions have the H10. Not sure if they have the Creative.

:D

I shall have a wander out there tomorrow, thanks for the tip off mate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Addlcove

if you do get the headphone thing with creative just call them and they swap the player. :) had a mate that had it, didn't take more than 5-7 days after he mailed it to them and he had the replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭magic roundabou

i have the creative zen and think its brillent , i decided to get that one rather than the ipod mainly for the radio which i some times prefer to listen to, and that you have an option to record the radio is a great bonus as well, the only thing i would have against it is that it does not have a long battrie life , only about 5ish hours. i got the 6 gig one and at the moment i have 1300 songs and still have about 30% of the memorty left , so for me that loads of space , dont know what i would do with the 20k!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Addlcove

There's a way to check the battery life on your player :)

rip one song in 128kbps - set it to play on repeat at volume 10 with EQ and "smartvolume" turned off.

you should get at least 8 hours worth of battery from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Draupnir wrote:

Dixons, and Tommy's Toyland in Blanch. The camera shop might do them aswell. Check out the Rio Carbon in the 3G store. €209 for 5GB's. Meant to have longer battery life. Nicer looking IMO, but less features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Harvey Norman do them also.

Creative Zen Micro 5GB: €229.
    iRiver H10 5GB: €239.

I know which one I'd buy (the iRiver).

I work in HN and we get more Zen Micro's back for repairs than any other MP3 player.

• Advertisement

Bard wrote:
    Harvey Norman do them also.

Creative Zen Micro 5GB: €229.
    iRiver H10 5GB: €239.

I know which one I'd buy (the iRiver).

I work in HN and we get more Zen Micro's back for repairs than any other MP3 player.

Thats a very good point. Wich has the best warranty? or are they all much the same? Is the iPod Mini any better for warranty?

Im now the proud owner of a h10, bought in the wonderful Harvey Norman, Airside. Cheers Bard. It was 279 though.

Thats a great shop though, my first trip out there, and I was like a kid in a sweet shop. Its gadget heaven.

Draupnir wrote:
    Im now the proud owner of a h10, bought in the wonderful Harvey Norman, Airside. Cheers Bard. It was 279 though.

Thats a great shop though, my first trip out there, and I was like a kid in a sweet shop. Its gadget heaven.

Should have come to me in Harvey Norman in Dundalk then. We're generally ahead of the Swords branch with the price drops. They did go down to 239. ... and yeah, they're good stores.

To answer the warranty question - the iRiver has the best one - with a 2 year warranty as standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

the iRiver.

Without a doubt. The Zen was fine but the lack of USB 1 compatibility (a problem for me) and the inferior sound and build quality would leave me rooting for the superb iRiver every time.

quad_red wrote:
    the iRiver.

Without a doubt. The Zen was fine but the lack of USB 1 compatibility (a problem for me) and the inferior sound and build quality would leave me rooting for the superb iRiver every time.

Anything that supports USB2 by default supports USB1.

So what do you mean by "lack of USB 1 compatibility" ??? :confused:

Anything that supports USB2 by default supports USB1.

Not true. Many USB2.0 devices specifically require the faster speed that USB2.0 provides - e.g.: CD/DVD Burners, External Hard Drives, and yes - some MP3 players - and so simply won't work on a USB1.1 port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Bard wrote:
    Not true. Many USB2.0 devices specifically require the faster speed that USB2.0 provides - e.g.: CD/DVD Burners, External Hard Drives, and yes - some MP3 players - and so simply won't work on a USB1.1 port.

I've the iriver H10 and its fantastic ! long life, portable and actually kinda cool design, got it on Komplett in Feb.

You can get as Bard said!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

the understanding that it was fully USB1 compatible (silly me for believing shop assistants and not confirming it myself).

It CAN be used as a data drive over USB1 but you cannot transfer music to use on the player unless you have USB2.

And I echo all praise for the iRiver H10 - got one myself recently and its a beauty. (didn't know you could use it with Windows Media Player though - the guy in Peats said you couldn't!?!? - although that's not saying much)

Actually, using the H10 with Windows Media Player makes a lot more sense than using it with the awkward iRiver Plus software that comes with it. One of the first things I tell people who buy it from me is not to bother with the bundled software at all and just use Media Player with it. That way I get them coming back with problems far less often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Bard wrote:
    Actually, using the H10 with Windows Media Player makes a lot more sense than using it with the awkward iRiver Plus software that comes with it. One of the first things I tell people who buy it from me is not to bother with the bundled software at all and just use Media Player with it. That way I get them coming back with problems far less often.

Iriver Plus sucks big time and if it update once its updates every blooming day !!!

only thing is that when you wanna upgrade the H10 you may need to have iriver plus installed if you not able to manually update the HD :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Blondie86Star

DO NOT GET THE CREATIVE

Mines fcuked after 6 weeks
    How much is it 2 get repaired, HN guy?

quad_red wrote:
    the understanding that it was fully USB1 compatible (silly me for believing shop assistants and not confirming it myself).

It CAN be used as a data drive over USB1 but you cannot transfer music to use on the player unless you have USB2.

Just to be a pain :D I have the IAudio X5L which has separate USB 2.0 and 1 ports (and of course black goes with anything)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

hopeful wrote:
    Just to be a pain :D I have the IAudio X5L which has separate USB 2.0 and 1 ports (and of course black goes with anything)

Here here, and its the dogs....

except it has that ridiculous slogan written along the screen and also, that hump on the back puts me off too.

iRiver Plus aint that bad if you use it ONLY to transfer music to the iRiver. Ive been ripping mp3's from cd using a separate lame encoder and the just transferring them drag and drop.

then I use that software from misticriver to create the database. much better than iRiver Plus.

Draupnir wrote:
    except it has that ridiculous slogan written along the screen and also, that hump on the back puts me off too.

Oddly coincidental 'cause I also have a hump on my back...no slogan tho :D

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Draupnir wrote:
    QUOTE]
    '
    When you use one believe me the slogan will not come into things at all. The hump is to the front and it actually gives a nice feel to it.

Bard wrote:

How then do you explain that they all work on serial and parallel ports which are even slower than USB 1.1. :D

DO NOT GET THE CREATIVE

Mines fcuked after 6 weeks
    How much is it 2 get repaired, HN guy?

If it's failed after 6 weeks through no fault of your own, then bring it back to the store you bought it from and it should be repaired or replaced for free under the standard 12 month manufacturers warranty that comes with it. You'd be surprised how few people make use of that warranty. Go back to the store!
    How then do you explain that they all work on serial and parallel ports which are even slower than USB 1.1.

Er, I don't explain that they do that - because they don't. As an example, I sell a particular brand of external DVD burner which will work on nothing but USB2. I warn customers of this before they buy it - that they should be sure that it is USB2 and not USB1.1 that they have in their PC. The same goes for a number of other products.

Bard wrote:
    Er, I don't explain that they do that - because they don't. As an example, I sell a particular brand of external DVD burner which will work on nothing but USB2. I warn customers of this before they buy it - that they should be sure that it is USB2 and not USB1.1 that they have in their PC. The same goes for a number of other products.

You said the reason they won't work is because USB 1.1 is too slow. I'm pointing out that serial and parallel are slower and HDs and optical burners and MP3s players work with that, even though its slower. A DVD burner might not work at 16x but it would work a 1x or 0.5x. Did a HD. They'll all work with USB1.1 they'll just be slower. Other then speed theres no difference. The only place where you NEED USB2 speed is encoding live video, or audio.

Have you acutally tried a HD and MP3 player where they've not worked with USB 1.1 ? Becaus I don't believe that to be true at all.

• Advertisement

You said the reason they won't work is because USB 1.1 is too slow.

I said that SOME USB2 devices won't work with USB1.1. I concede that most WILL work (but will be 40 or so times slower) but SOME simply won't work at all. This I stand over as it is perfectly true. Case in point being an external Iomega USB2 DVD burner that I've sold plenty of. It does not work with USB1.1 at all. Your statement that "Anything that supports USB2 by default supports USB1" is slightly flawed.
    I'm pointing out that serial and parallel are slower and HDs and optical burners and MP3s players work with that, even though its slower.

Some - not all of them - will work with the slower interfaces.
    Have you acutally tried a HD and MP3 player where they've not worked with USB 1.1 ? Becaus I don't believe that to be true at all.

Yes, actually, I have. Certain Creative players would work only on a USB2 port for me. I concede that you are correct about USB2 Hard Drives, but I do insist that not all USB2 devices will work on a USB1.1 port - the Iomega "Super DVD Burner" being a case in point.

This is, however, entirely off the topic in question, that being the seemingly ever-recurring question of "which is best? Zen or H10?" - and the ever-recurring answer of "iRiver - hands down - every time."

Advertisement