Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creative Zen or iRiver h10

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

USB 2 is backward compatible. So I'm very curious which devices don't adhere to that standard. Which creative MP3 player doesn't work, whats the model ditto the DVD burner. Ditto the HD. Its a related topic to MP3 players which are all USB standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

USB2 being backward compatible doesn't mean that USB2 devices will work on USB1 ports. It means the opposite - USB1 devices will work on USB2 ports - it's what's called 'legacy support'.

The 30Gb Creative Zen Xtra wouldn't work for me on a standard USB1.1 port and only worked on a USB2 port, although I'm sure this could have been a fluke. That aside, I am sure that there are some MP3 players that require the faster speed and won't work with the slower one.

If you actually read the 2nd last paragraph of my last post you'd see me say that while I concede you may be correct about external hard drives, the Iomega "Super DVD Burner" requires USB2 and will not work on the slower interface.

That was the second time I mentioned it as a device that wouldn't work with USB1.1 but would with USB2... so why are you still asking for an example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

the zen micro is not USB 1 compatible in relation to transferring music (you can transfer data over USB 1 but you need USB 2 transfer music to play).

I bought a zen in January and it quickly failed ( I think the HD was corrupted or something). The shop took it back and replaced it immediately.

Saying that though my flatmate bought a H10 on Tuesday which had to return yesterday (it looked like a similiar HD problem).

So it seems quite common now. I suppose lower prices mean less quality control?!!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Ive seen an Iriver H320 on teamdigital.net, which, with postage and packaging etc included comes to about €321, realistically, this is probably the best price i'm gonna get but does anyone know of anywhere that they can be acquired for cheaper

Ive seen an Iriver H320 on teamdigital.net, which, with postage and packaging etc included comes to about €321, realistically, this is probably the best price i'm gonna get but does anyone know of anywhere that they can be acquired for cheaper

If any retail outlets have them still in stock (which most don't - they're gone "end of life" some time now), they should be selling them for no more than €299. Where I work, we're sold out of them a while now, but we sold them out at that price.

The 5GB H10 is now going end of life and stocks from suppliers of it are quite low. It's being replaced in a few weeks with a 6GB model (with FM tuner) and a 5GB version (without FM tuner). The 20GB version of the H10 has been delayed until September at the earliest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

By end of life do you mean that they've stopped making them altogether?

By end of life do you mean that they've stopped making them altogether?

It is the end of that products life. In other words ... yes. What you said.

Because I've never seen a device that works with USB2 and not USB1.1 According to Iomega site (and other reviews) the Super DVD Burner is backward compatible with USB 1.1 (they specifically mention that it limits drive speed to 4x4x6x6x). Ditto the creative site, and other reviews. The Creative Zen Xtra and Zen Micro both work with USB 1.1 (just slowly). :cool: However theres lots of reports of people having problems with their USB. So its not that the devices don't support it, but that theres often configuration issues on the PC side.

Those iRivers don't stay in production too long do they. I'd prefer if they fixed the firmware instead of releasing more models. One of the reasons I didn't buy a H300 player was because I thought they never fix the firmware issues. I think the Cowon players get updated more often, which would be a major plus point in my mind.

hopeful wrote:
    Just to be a pain :D I have the IAudio X5L which has separate USB 2.0 and 1 ports (and of course black goes with anything)

Seems to be the best player. Where did you get yours and for how much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I'd say he bought it in uglycrapsloganonscreenville.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Draupnir wrote:
    I'd say he bought it in uglycrapsloganonscreenville.

And I thought I was the only person to be aware of that place...great minds think alike I guess :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Was thinking of getting the iRiver h10 6GB when it comes out but I read on engadget that the Creative Zen Sleek is up for preorders on the Creative site.

http://uk.europe.creative.com/shop/product.asp?prod=958&page=1

It's only slightly bigger than the h10 but it's 20GB.

Could be an option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Bard wrote:
    Not true. Many USB2.0 devices specifically require the faster speed that USB2.0 provides - e.g.: CD/DVD Burners, External Hard Drives, and yes - some MP3 players - and so simply won't work on a USB1.1 port.
    thats new info to me
    i used my h10 on my computer which is usb 1.1 and my laptop which is usb 2.0 and the both worked perfectly aside from the fact that the computer was well slower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Based on my own experience, get either the iRiver (gee, real original name guys) or iPod. Both are good tbh, whereas the Creative Zen just isn't very zenny...

1huge1 wrote:
    thats new info to me
    i used my h10 on my computer which is usb 1.1 and my laptop which is usb 2.0 and the both worked perfectly aside from the fact that the computer was well slower

Good for you. Nice player. Glad it's working well for you.

I didn't say the H10 wouldn't work with USB1.1. I said that SOME MP3 players (and other USB2 devices) wouldn't.

That doesn't make sense. USB2 includes USB1.1. :D

You can use both the H10 and the Micro Zen as data drives with USB 1 and USB 2.

You can transfer music onto the H10 using USB 1 and USB 2.

You HAVE TO HAVE USB 2 to transfer music onto the Micro Zen. :cool: I don't know the exact reason why but you must. Full stop. You cannot use USB 1 to transfer music onto the Micro Zen.

quad_red wrote:
    ....You HAVE TO HAVE USB 2 to transfer music onto the Micro Zen. :cool: I don't know the exact reason why but you must. Full stop. You cannot use USB 1 to transfer music onto the Micro Zen.

Well I can't find anything on that anywhere on the web. In fact I found a few reviews were people were using USB1.1 with no problems.

I know of only one issues with the USB on the Zen Micro.
    If the Zen is connected via USB1.1 then it will play the audio via MediaSource through its lineout. If it is connected via Firewire/USB2 (with higher bandwidth) it will buffer and play the audio on the PC.

I'm wondering are you confusing it with MTP issue?
    v2 firmware updates the Zen Micro also has Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) support. MTP support allows driverless transfer, but only on systems with Windows XP and Windows Media Player 10. The player will appear as a device (*not* a drive letter) in Windows Explorer, and both audio and data files can be dragged and dropped to the player. The device can also be used for management of audio files with Windows Media Player 10. There has been a press release from Creative, part of which says that there will be a firmware release in Q1 2005 for the Zen Touch and Xtra that will allow MTP support also. The older Zens do not have drive letter or MTP support, and no future firmware updates have been announced.

Neither of these things prevent you transfering data or music via USB1.1 In fact every review specifically mentions its compatible with 1.1. Maybe the're all wrong.

I don't know where you read that but I was wholly unsuccessful in getting the Zen to transfer music under USB1 and I've met other people with similiar problems.

Advertisement