Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plot O Land

Options
  • 08-07-2005 1:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to aquire a plot of land (about an acre) to do a spot of smallhold farming.It'd need to be within 40 miles of Dublin but apart from that i'm not fussy.Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost and how i'd go about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

What exactly do you want to do on it.
    You may be able to rent a piece of a farmer, but depending on the type of land you require, will affect the price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I want to plant a few potatoes,onions that sort of thing,maybe erect a plytunnel or two.I want to but the land though rather than rent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

For that, I'd say your best option is to lease an 'akward' corner off a farmer for a while.
    Then if you decide it doesn't work for you, let that be it, and after a year or two, you would be in a reasonable position to buy it outright.
    I don't think it'll be to easy to buy a single acre, plot, as these would be far to valuable as potential sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Those Good Life reruns have a lot to answer for :D

I would say you would have a big problem finding an affordable piece of land. Effectively you are looking for a piece of land that is about right to build a house on. No matter what you say a farmer will only beleive you plan to build on it. 40 miles is about the magic communting belt too. I can see it being any cheaper than €150k but it's out side my core knowledge on property.
    Farmers are generally a bit touchy about selling their land. Renting is probably your best bet,

Or is the River Cottage show :D

Put an ad in Buy and Sell or the Farmer's Journel a friendly farmer might do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

You're quite right,its river cottage!Mind you,it something i've allways wanted to do.it'd also be good to have a few trees so i could shoot the occasional woodpigeon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

40 miles is about the magic communting belt too

lol, 40 miles is a long way :D
    no one will sell u an acre, and why do u want to buy an acre? just rent it, if u want to buy buy a parcel of land and keep an acre for urself and flog the rest, im not sure if theirs even stamp duty to pay on agri land.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

You haven't got a hope of buying an acre within that range for less than €100K That's a lot of Vegetables. And no farmer will sell an acre for that. No matter how hard you try to convince them you won't build a house on it they won't believe you. ( I wouldn't believe you)

Maybe set up a thread or put a add in the paper to meet like minded people and set up a company to buy a field (10 acres)

Devide it into 50 or so plots. Use some yourselves and rent out the others to other dubs. You could also cash in on the people who's interest wanes and offer to maintain it for them for a fee.

Don't allow them to put in any permanent structure so that you can plough over it all annually to keep it tidy.

Advertisement