Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Done for speeding

Options
  • 08-07-2005 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭

I just got a summons to appear in court on a speeding offence. Apparently the offence was last November, along the N4, 50mph in a 40mph zone.

What confuses me is the fact that its a summons, and not just automatic penalty points, with the option to go to court to appeal, which i thought was the norm now. There is no mention of points at all.

Can anyone fill me in on whats going on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

was last november before the points introduction?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

I believe it depends on the gravity of the offence.

If it is excessive speeding they will summons and the judge can impose additional penalties including suspension of the license.

I suppose 50 in a 40 leaves it open to argument as to how excessive the speeding was.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You would need to see if a notice was sent out after the offence.
    Are you living at the same address as the registered address of the car? This is where the notice would be sent. As you recieved the summons Im guessing yes.
    More than likely you will need to state to the court that you didn't recieve the initial notice and had no chance to pay the fine & accept the points (or appeal the notice) but that you would be willing to do so.
    However, Im not sure would you get two or four points.

vorbis wrote:
    was last november before the points introduction?
    Points were introduced in Oct 2003 IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Was it a bank holiday weekend?
    Isn't it an automatic court appearance, and 4 points for bank holiday weekends?

• Advertisement

prospect wrote:
    Was it a bank holiday weekend?
    Isn't it an automatic court appearance, and 4 points for bank holiday weekends?
    :confused:

kbannon,

does :confused: mean:
    1. I don't Know
    2. I don't understand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

prospect wrote:
    does :confused: mean:
    1. I don't Know
    2. I don't understand

Or

3) Just where did you get the nugget of dubious information

It means that Im confused as to why you think speeding on bank holidays warrants a stricter punishment that all other times

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

I think :confused: means WTF? Points don't change depending on the day or time of speeding. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

It was November 19th, so it wasnt a bank holiday weekend. No mention on anything about that on oasis.gov.ie either.

And yes, Ive been living at the same address all along, the same address at which I got the summons, so I should have recieved any penalty points notification sent to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

My mate got a notice for speeding in the same place, 58mph in a 40mph. Just standard 2 points and €80 fine.

You will need to check if a notice was sent out in the first place.

Woa there now people, keep your WTF's etc, to yourselves.

I seem to remember that as part of one or two bank holiday clamp downs, they threatened to issue 4 points automatically.

But obviuosly due to the 'strong' reactions here, I apologise for seeming to remember this, and offer a potential answer to the OP's question...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 J.Daniels

Have you spoken with your wife/partner/gay lover who may have been driving the car at the time ?, and subsequently destroyed the evidence through the mailbox. [/CSi mode]

CiaranC wrote:
    I just got a summons to appear in court on a speeding offence. Apparently the offence was last November, along the N4, 50mph in a 40mph zone.

What confuses me is the fact that its a summons, and not just automatic penalty points, with the option to go to court to appeal, which i thought was the norm now. There is no mention of points at all.

Can anyone fill me in on whats going on?

SWMBO received letter for 'speeding' along this stretch of road. Similar thing, 53mph in a 40mph zone. The cop van was parked 10 feet inside the 40 mph zone on inbound side besides Woodies. I told her she should request photo, etc. Would have been good to go to court coz she was doing 53mph in 50mph zone, so she was cited incorrectly and should have been let off on a technicality. The cops were in a bad location; I'd loved to have seen the cops getting an earful from a judge about this.

prospect wrote:
    Woa there now people, keep your WTF's etc, to yourselves.

I seem to remember that as part of one or two bank holiday clamp downs, they threatened to issue 4 points automatically.

But obviuosly due to the 'strong' reactions here, I apologise for seeming to remember this, and offer a potential answer to the OP's question...

Ah now prospect, me old sparring partner, don't take it personally! Kiss and make up?? XXX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

...prospects right. But I'm not sure were they considering this in england or here.

Seeing as your goin to court anyway, why dont you try to defend yourself? Surely there's an open and shut case in regards to the extra 2 points given if you wish to defend yourself?? Your day in court is a contitutional right - not a privilege - and they cannot penalise you for wishing to defend yourself.

J.Daniels wrote:
    Have you spoken with your wife/partner/gay lover who may have been driving the car at the time ?, and subsequently destroyed the evidence through the mailbox. [/CSi mode]
    The notice is sent to the owner of the car as it is easier to do this rather than find out who is in the photo and then send it to them, so my guess is that it is unlikely to be one of the above 3!

a_ominous wrote:
    Ah now prospect, me old sparring partner, don't take it personally! Kiss and make up?? XXX

Hhhmmmmmm,

x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Boggle wrote:
    ...Seeing as your goin to court anyway, why dont you try to defend yourself? Surely there's an open and shut case in regards to the extra 2 points given if you wish to defend yourself?? Your day in court is a contitutional right - not a privilege - and they cannot penalise you for wishing to defend yourself.

They dont, I believe its worded in such a way that the offence is automatically 4 points, but if your a good boy/girl and accept liability and pay your fine within 30 days we'll only give you two points. Such is my understanding anyway

• Advertisement

correct Nuttz but as the OP didn't get the original notice then the judge may allow for a two point deduction

Nuttzz wrote:
    They dont, I believe its worded in such a way that the offence is automatically 4 points, but if your a good boy/girl and accept liability and pay your fine within 30 days we'll only give you two points. Such is my understanding anyway

You only get 4 points if you're found _guilty_ in court.
    Details here

The offence holds 4 points but two are deducted if you save court time by admitting to the offence when you recieve the initial notification - which is what this thread is about - the OP didn't get the initial notification and therefore is sent straight to court!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

The automatic points notification is sent by post.
    These are sent in the normal mail, not registered.
    Many people have not received the initial mail.
    The first thing they know is they get a court summons.
    I am speaking from experience, one with a happy outcome thanks to an post :)

stratos wrote:
    one with a happy outcome thanks to an post :)
    please elaborate

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

kbannon wrote:
    The offence holds 4 points but two are deducted if you save court time by admitting to the offence when you recieve the initial notification

"If you pay the Fixed Charge Notice inside 56 days a total of 2 penalty points will be entered on your driving licence............. Failure to make a payment will result in a prosecution..... you are liable to a fine not exceeding €1500 and/or 3 months imprisonment ....... and a total of 4 points will be entered on your driving licence record" -Fixed Charge Notice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

In my case I got the summons 2 days before the court date.
    The authorities didn't know the summons had been served as it was so late, so the the guard didn't appear.
    If I had got the first mail I might have paid up and taken the points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

OK well first off im VERY careful where speed is concerned and i guess I'm the typical "b0110x in front".... I drive AT the limit at all times and slow before 50kph zones etc..

Anyhoo, on the way onto the Enfield bypass roundabout coming from galway on wednesday morn (about 2am), it goes from 100kph - 60kph, approching the roundabout..as I approached I didnt see the speed signs due to overgrown bushes on BOTH side of the roads..

soon as i saw the signs when i passed them I slowed down to reasonable 55'ish, couldnt slow too quick as an artic was up my ass and might have resulted in a major accident if i slammed on ... as I got nearer the roundabout I saw a squad car and what looked like a camera out the window pointing my direction

On my way back to galway tonight I took these photos unfortunatly probably too close to em (only about 20ft away) and higher than my head in the car seat .. but you can see what I mean, I'v only done the route a few times and dont know it all that well ... how are public supposed to know ???

Heres hoping i dont get points - can this be quashed (if it comes to it) before a count appearance ??

photos below.. you can see how close i was to the sign taking them in the last pic, my car is parked in the hard shoulder.. couldnt get a pic from further back with my crappy cam in darkness but coming at those signs at 100kph it was damn near impossible to tell what they said apart from the "0" so i assumed it was probably 80k coming up to a bypass and i remembered it was 60 after the roundabout

why dont they stick up the big billboard style speed signs they have at the entrance at other towns ?

right_side.jpg

leftside.jpg

leftside_car.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Heres hoping i dont get points - can this be quashed (if it comes to it) before a count appearance ??

Not a hope, they will want their day in court to imtimidate the masses. :mad:

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote:
    Not a hope, they will want their day in court to imtimidate the masses. :mad:
    at least we don't live in Megacity One -
    as Judge Death said
    As all crime was committed by the living, Death reasoned, then living itself was a crime. Hence the monster's catchphrase: "The crime is life, the sentence is death!"

Advertisement