Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joystick

Options
  • 08-07-2005 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

Afternoon lads, whats your opinions on using a joystick for flying.
    Does it make it much easier, would it be worth my while picking one up, if so which ones would you recommend.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

kinkstr wrote:
    Afternoon lads, whats your opinions on using a joystick for flying.
    Does it make it much easier, would it be worth my while picking one up, if so which ones would you recommend.

Well as I mentioned before when I first started out I bought a joystick to try and make flying easier...after an hour of trying to use it I gave up....a few hrs practise on the keyboard and I was flying(sorry about the pun)........

Mate uses joystick and he doesnt seem to be able to get the same control and moveability from teh joystick that I can get from a keyboard(until a little tree gets in the way...lol kinkstr)........using keyboard on the map Daqing Oilfields was able to fly in between the trees nearly hitting the ground last nite when berns was after me in a plane!!!

Thats my 2 cent :D

Oh yeah mate uses a Microsoft sidewinder or something like that....dont make them anymore so he guards it with his life!!

Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro (USB)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Cheers Nelly, im gonna stick with the keyboard and mouse for now, i neglicted to mention im broke and cant afford a joystick right now anyway :D
    Just managed to fly a plane through the pipe in kubra dam so i guess its not that bad(ok i crashed as i was exiting but it still counts :) )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

I go with the joystick myself..allows more control over the planes..use the hat switch for switching between air to air and air to ground...u could also use the xbox joystick..find these brilliant as well..all you do is cut off the propriertory plug and rejoin the normal usb plug from some other thing u don't need..you can then download the drivers for them..they're called the XBCD drivers or something similiar..and before someone says use a ps joystick they're crap and designed for nip hands..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Small tip for flying aircraft!! keep your ground missles on if your coming up behind enemy plane then when in good shape for a shot flick onto air missles and let rip!!! enemy plane wont even know your behind them till its 2 late!! sneaky but good laugh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Helicopter = Mouse

Plane = joystick.

I've heard people tell me that a joystick chopper pilot would outfly a mouse pilot any day. I'm still waiting to see someone who can outfly me. Now if it wasn't for those damn trees lol.

On another note - I wish they would install a left/right glance option for the chopper (much like being able to look out the left/right window while in first person driving a car. When you turn suddenly you don't often see the landscape till you hit it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

He's probably got the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2..this is the best joystick bar HOTAS for any flying game..feedback is brilliant and very comfortable joystick...not built anymore so you should be able to pick one up cheaply..no drivers need as XP recognises it..these came out in 2001 and I remember I was thinking of getting one but too expensive at 120 euros..settled for the logitech 3d one for 50...not too bad but hating having to calibrate it..sidewinder is autocalibrated..anyway dixons were flogged them off lately for 40 euros and so I was able to get my hands on the last one for this price...recommendation: buy if you see one..u won't regret it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**']Helicopter = Mouse

Plane = joystick.

Yeah thats what I go with. I tried flying a plane with the keyboard and I couldnt get it to go steady, it was always trying to barrell role. (I'm used to that though, my joystick wants to veer off to the left all the time but thats no trouble).

I got a Logitech Wingman exetreme. Its really handy having all the buttons I need within a fingers reach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

PS2 pad is fine just switch weapons to L1 R1 etc so you can fly with thumbs.

Does the job very well.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

I use a cheapy Saitek ST200 joystick.

Blackhawk (etc) is simple, does whatever i want. Planes are pretty easy too.
    The cobras however im finding tough tho thats just me and not the joystick.

I cant use keyboard/mouse to fly for anythign complex (simple stuff is nps of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**']
    On another note - I wish they would install a left/right glance option for the chopper (much like being able to look out the left/right window while in first person driving a car. When you turn suddenly you don't often see the landscape till you hit it.

Hold down left control and look sideways with mouse, or else change the camera angle. You must be flying against really **** pilots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2.
    That is the joystick of choice. Cheaper MS models will do, but the twist-grip rudder control and independent throttle control is what makes it so good for bf. Chopper flight is much improved with it. Fixed wing flight also, but not quite as noticeable a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well kinster come to that LAN in ennichorty this weekend, yes it is on. And you will be shown how to fly with a stick. Just watch AK with his wireless stick fly rings around us all and he used to be fairlly good with a keyboard now he only uses his stick.

I`ll PM ya some LAN details later on in the week.
    Any one else in the wexford are intrested in LANing this weekend. We only play COD and Battlefeild XXX. OK the od game of UT or CS as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

RapierX wrote:
    Hold down left control and look sideways with mouse, or else change the camera angle. You must be flying against really **** pilots.

Yeah someone told me that the other day.

I thought all chopper pilots in BF2 were shit though. You're quite welcome to prove me wrong.

And as for glancing to the side that's only when flying low and arcing quickly - you don't always see what's to your side (or at least I didn't until I found out how to check side view).

Flying against other pilots is a case of people trying to either joust you or kamikazi you. Either are fairly easy to avoid, and it's like sidestepping a punch and lining up as the person comes past you - hit them with everything you got!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

fluffer wrote:
    Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2.
    That is the joystick of choice. Cheaper MS models will do, but the twist-grip rudder control and independent throttle control is what makes it so good for bf. Chopper flight is much improved with it. Fixed wing flight also, but not quite as noticeable a difference.
    I have the Precision Pro version .. same joystick but without the force feedback (they hadn't got em in stock on the day and then MS stopped doin them :()

Advertisement