Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing Machine Query?

Options
  • 08-07-2005 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

We have a Zanussi (2 years old) washing machine but in the last 2 months the clothes are smelly coming out of the wash. They smell like diesel/mouldy/damp. Also the whites are extremely discoloured. I have looked at the hose and there doesnt seem to be a problem there. We have also replaced the element and the programme control thingy. But the clothes still stink.

We also had a plumber take a look at the plumbing just incase there was some kind of backflow of dirty water, but all seems fine.

Im now thinkin that the motor maybe leaking grease or oil. This would maybe explain the smell and discolouration.

Its nothing to do with washing powder or fabric softener. Have ruled this out too.

Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Have you checked the filter? (Probably an obvious question )

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What kind of washing detergent are you using? Liquid tabs are particularly bad, especially when combined with the low washing temperatures common today, in creating a nasty bacterial slime in hidden-away places in the drum, and in the folds of the rubber seals between drum and body, although the same can happen with traditional powders too. Try running your finger around the inside of the rubber seal and see if you find any slimy gunk.

The usual recommended remedy is to run the machine empty once a month or so on the hottest setting on the machine (90 degrees usually), with the addition of an egg cup full of bleach in the powder compartment. We do this regularly after experiencing the same thing and haven't had a problem since. Other suggestions I have come across (which I haven't tried) are to use white vinegar, bicarbonate of soda, or a dishwasher tablet.

See http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=43 for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

it could may very well be your motor, have you tried using the machine without powder/tabs etc and using it on another setting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Baffled

I have tried running the machine on empty at 90 degrees with some vinegar but to no avail. Theres no slime or gunge anywhere in the door or rubber. I use persil non bio powder and only a very small bit. Roughly a table spoon (anymore and the clothes come out too soapy).

Funnily enough the smell is only present in heavy clothes (jumpers, jeans) on a 40 degree wash. This has led me to think that if the motor is leaking, the 60 degree hotter wash would break down most of the grease/oil, therefore the clothes washed at this setting are not smelly.

Ah I dunno. Think Ill just ring zanussi (again) and maybe ask for a replacement as the machine is still under warranty.

Im sick of the disgusting smell. Its stomach turning!

I use persil non bio powder and only a very small bit. Roughly a table spoon (anymore and the clothes come out too soapy).
    Sounds like the rinse cycle somehow isn't working properly then. I doubt if the motor is involved somehow. It doesn't come into contact with the wet side of the machine at all, and the drain pumps are usually magnetically coupled impeller pumps, so no contact with anything wet there either.

I'd get a Zanussi engineer in, lock the door, and don't let him (or her!) out until they agree the machine is faulty. If necessary, put on a wash on a short low-temperature cycle and let them see for themselves.

• Advertisement

Yea Ill have to get the engineer to look at it again. Probably looking at a week or two before he calls. Hmm.

Ive had the drum, program controls and the element replaced and its still the same.

Just wondering, could it be something to do with low water pressure or the plumbing?

Is the water supply to the washing machine OK? Is it the same as the feed to other parts of the house, or does it come from a different source somehow, say a tank that's a bit manky? Clutching at straws here, I'm afraid :)

The water comes from the mains.

I have just purchased a new machine (Miele) so hopefully it was the machine and not the plumbing. I wont have it until Wednesday so ill let ye know if I have the same problem with the new machine. Fingers crossed.

Thanx for all the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭gregos

These engineers of which you speak: what university did they attend? Have they membership of a professional body? Or perhaps we're really talking about repair men.

• Advertisement
Advertisement