Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry options

Options
  • 08-07-2005 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hello, Amay was reading her chemistry book and she noticed something about options for it. She says there is 1a,1b,2a,2b she was wondering if you know which she should do (she sits the leaving next year) or is it a thing where you CAN do some but it's BEST if you do all, or something. Sure she'd like the help, so hope ye can. Thank you. Claire (for Amay)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

They don't always come up but they're easy when they do. We did the chemical plant in Drogheda and enviromental chemistry with the ozone and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

ok - I'm not sure if I get this and I have to explain it to her, she doesn't like the internet anymore for some reason.

So the options don't always come up. Right? Now is this like the way say chapter one miight not come up - i.e. you still study it and hope it does/even if it does come up (and you didn't study it) it doesn't matter, you can still do the paper.

2 - they are called OPTIONS, does this mean if they do come up she could have a question choice with in the question?

I've read the front of her book, not suprised she's confused, I could barley understand it! I noticed that the ordinary level people can't just pick anything, so is it the same for the higher?? Sorry to keep asking but I never did chem so i's going to be hard to explain it to her.

Thank you (and sorry for the trouble), Claire (for Amay)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

The ones i did are the easiest. Anyho yes it is an option....you do 8 outta 11 questions the option q would be one of these. I dunno anything about doing pass though, just look at the papers i guess

Hi, Not sure if I get it, i'll get her to email the department. there is no chance Amay'll do pass, I mean the girl does higher irish :eek: . You know Amay, she'll probably do it anyway but thanks anyway! Claire (for Amay)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

There are two options on the syllabus - I can't remember which is option A and which is option B though.
    One of the options is Atmospheric and Industrial Chemistry, the other is Materials and Electrochemistry (or something along those lines). You only do one or the other. Generally they come up as a part c of question 11 on the paper, and often as one of the short questions in question 4 as well. There will always be a choice to do one or the other, so you'll never be stuck wishing you had done the other option! However, the options are quite avoidable - we didn't do either of them in my class, and we were all fine for the paper - for question 10 and 11 you always have to answer two out of three parts, so you can just not do the option question.
    I hope that helps!

• Advertisement

Thank you for your help, I finally explained it to Amay she gets it and also says thanks for the help.

Advertisement