Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Exlcamation

• 08-07-2005 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭

This has popped up in the system tray a number of times for me now and I have no idea what it is. An exclamation mark in a yellow triangle, like this
    exclamation8zx.jpg

When you click it, it just goes away, nothing pops up. Anyone know what it is or why it appears?

Windows XP Pro BTW.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

Windows Update prompt i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Strange, Windows Update is disabled on the work PC. The little icon beside it is an updater that updates via SMS on the work PCs. But I've seen the exclamation when that updater wasn't active before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It's not Windows Update. I get them a lot too. Sometimes it's down to a faulty hard drive or something, check your event viewer.

Right click My Computer -> Manage -> Event viewer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you have a laptop it could be a low battery warning too.

Does it say anything when you hover the mouse over it or have you checked in the event viewer ?

Not a laptop either. It doesn't say anything when I put the pointer over it. Either left or right click just make it go away. Nothing unusual showing in the taskmanager either.

Strange one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Not task manager, event viewer.

Ah, of course. I'll check it out when I'm back at work.

It was a warning in the event viewer all right. Fastfat produced this error:
    "{Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file . The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."

What exactly that was I don't know, probably don't really care either.

Thanks ciaranfo.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

jor el wrote:
    It was a warning in the event viewer all right. Fastfat produced this error:
    "{Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file . The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."

Sounds *like* a issue I had with my girlfriends PC, a scandisc used to fix it in the short term,
    However in the long term it appeared to be a ram problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Did you by any chance plug out a removable disk shortly before this happened? Or got a faulty hard disk?
    I got messages like that before, due to a faulty IDE cable. The hard disk itself was OK.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You say it happened at work, could also be a simple network error like drive disconnected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭scion

got that before, turned out the be one of my harddrives was nearly full.

Stephen wrote:
    Did you by any chance plug out a removable disk shortly before this happened?
    Bingo, it was a memory card that I plugged out of my card reader. Another message in the event viewer confirms this.

Don't know what file failed to save though as everything is on it and OK.

Advertisement