Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish language slang dictionary.

• 05-09-2001 1:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

An excellent book just published which tells you every thing you want to know about calling a person an **** wipe to describing you're sexual exploits from last night! I was in bits reading it!
    By Gearóid Mac an Bhainisteora;
    Irish-English slang dictionary. Purple cover, soft back.
    Have a gander even if you don't buy, in any decent book shop.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

lol sounds funny! i sick of just telling people to póg mo hón!

The Millenium Bug, You mean Han Solo's ship is coming here in the year 2000?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

"Póg mo thóin" is just an americanism that someone directly translated into irish. It really didn't have any real basis in the irish language before "Bart Simpson-isms" came into english. It is actually in this dictionary, mainly I'd say because it became so widespread, on t-shirts etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

although it is an americanism directly into irish its still the only real insult in rish i know! i need to get a hold of that dictonary!

The Millenium Bug, You mean Han Solo's ship is coming here in the year 2000?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Doctúir

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Volvagia:
    although it is an americanism directly into irish its still the only real insult in rish i know! i need to get a hold of that dictonary!
    </font>

"Buinneach bhuí an Diabhail ort!" Sásta anois?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gael:
    By Gearóid Mac an Bhainisteora;
    Irish-English slang dictionary.
    </font>

Cad é ainm na foilsitheora, led thoil?

What's the publisher's name?

• Advertisement

It's something called "For-Sai". I think the author published it himself on the cheap. He says in the intro. how impossible it was to find a publisher since they were all afraid that it'd offend people and that they might lose government grants because of it.

www.ForSai.net
    forsai@hotmail.com

Website doesn't seem to work actually. So try the e-mail address. There is actually no adress given other than the web details, so that'd add to the chances of it just being an enterprise of the author himself. He never actually tells us in the intro how he finally managed to get it published, so I'm just speculating.

Originally posted by Gael

forsai@hotmail.com

GRMA! Ceist bheag eile - cár cheannaigh tú an leabhar? Easons nó Waterstones nó siopa éigin eile?

Tá eolas agam ar leabhar atá cosúil leis an gceann sin:

Dáithí Ó Luineacháin, 'Ó Ghlíomáil go Giniúint: Foclóir na Collaíochta', Coiscéim, 76 lgh (From foreplay to conception : a dictionary of sex). Saghas "f*cklóir Gaeilge/Béarla" atá ann!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 reura

Tá an leabhar seo ar fáil i sa Siopa Leabhair i dteach an Chonradh i mBác.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

[snip]

• Advertisement

Scríofa ag -oRnein9- agus é ag bleán a bhoid

(mar bhi an gealach lan .Nach ndeir siad go mbionn tionchar ag an ngealach lan ar iompar an duine)

Mhuise, is beag an tionchar a bhíonn ag an ngealach ar dhuine nuair a bhíonn a chloigeann sáite suas ina thimpireacht, cosúil leatsa.

"Ó Ghlíomail go Giniúnt" is an excellent book, and something tells me that it's publication in the late nineties had something to do with inspiring the author of this book to do likewise. This latest book differs in two aspects:
    Firstly, it's not all about sex, while ÓGGG is. It's contains slang on all aspects of life, even though sex is usually the primary subject of slang. Secondly, it's explanations are in english. There is no english at all in ÓGGG, be it explanations or otherwise, so you need to be fairly fluent to use and understand it effectively. Both good publications, but avoid ÓGGG if you're not too fluent. But attempt to make youself fluent enough to read it at a later stage, of course!

"Bail ó Dhia ar an obair!"

Advertisement