Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hub/router/ethernet card and redhat 6.2

• 08-06-2001 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭

okay.
    second topic in this shiny new board smile.gif
    and first techy one.
    I have a computer running redhat I have it connected to a webramp isdn router that has its own IP on the network etc.
    the redhat computer isnt networked although it has its own ethernet card.
    Its an Accton card.
    what I need to know is how to get linux to recognise the card (one)
    how to set up the default gateway (router) in linux (two)
    how to give the linux computer its own IP on the network(three)
    and there is no four (five)
    I hope I've given enough info.
    Oh and Thanks.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

I think the command to add a gateway is:
    route add default gw [gateway IP]

To give the network card an address:
    ifconfig eth0 [ip address]

The eth0 refers to the first network card in the machine.
    How to install drivers for the card is something I don't know. Was the card in the machine when you installed RedHat/ It may have been already picked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Ok, you didn't mention what model the accton card is. There are quite a few of them and they use a diff range of modules. I know alot of them are tulip based and modules can be found at scyld

For the router first add the machines IP to your ethernet card
    fconfig eth0 *.*.*.* (*.*.*.* being the IP to add)
    then you need to add a route:

route add -host *.*.*.* dev eth0
    then configure this and ifconfig using whatever Eth interface; eth0,eth1

As for the IP you'll have to set it up with one of the private ips which are the 192.168.*.* and 10.*.*.* range. You should be able to use netcfg to set these up.

If your planning on connecting other pcs to the LAN make sure you have IP masquerading etc.. compiled into the kernel..

.logic.

[This message has been edited by logic1 (edited 08-06-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Kev

with the ifconfig and route commands, your ip and gateway will be lost when you reboot so you will want to store them so they will be loaded up on boot, iirc redhat uses files called ifcfg-eth0 in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ and ifcfg-eth0:0 and so on for aliases, just edit ifcfg-eth0 and fill in your details

Mr. Chuffy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

sound,
    Ill give it a go over the weekend and then tell you how I get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

Don't forget to edit /etc/resolv.conf so that you'll be able to do dns queries properly.

also if your running X you can use netcfg which has a nice GUI for networking. You'll need to be root to run it.

Ro

• Advertisement
Advertisement