Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

apt-get

• 08-06-2001 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

Howdy..
    few quick questions. I have a fairly important server running debian here in work.

I ran apt-get update and apt-get upgrade -d
    to just dl the neeeded packsges. Will it cause problems if i upgrade the whole bunch ?

how do i just upgrade one package at a time ?

cheers
    Gav

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Might wanna look in the manpage yourself.
    apt-get upgrade packagename
    is not a valid command (Wel... It'll work, but it won't do what you're trying to do)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

on the subject of apt-get anyone know where to get a 2.4 kernel for debian using apt-get.
    Iv tried the link from the debian homepage but it seems to not want to work on my install. If anyones got any ideas let me know.
    this is purely for development and my own use. Its on my main workstation not my server and im just playin around. so nothin bad can happen really only that i might end up with no kernel at boot time. (i dont mind that pfft :-) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Kev

you can compile your own kernel and make a deb package out of, but that if you want to download the source which is pretty big for a 56k modem.

Mr. Chuffy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

To do it one package at a time do
    apt-get install packagename..
    or
    apt-get upgrade packagename..

tis all in the man page smile.gif

Ro

||
    ||
    \/

True always read the man page fully..don't have much interaction with debian smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Ronin (edited 11-06-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by flamegrill:
    on the subject of apt-get anyone know where to get a 2.4 kernel for debian using apt-get.</font>

I don't follow Debian antics that closly myself, so I'm not sure if 2.4 is in any of their current (un)stable releases.
    A bit of a route around theie site should tell you.
    Though there are a few places that have made their woen 2.4 deb packages, http://www.fs.tum.de/~bunk/kernel-24.html is one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.5
    One of the handiest things you can use for finding packages is
    dpkg -l package
    for example.. if you want to see every package with 'kernel' in it's name, do
    dpkg -l *kernel*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ObeyGiant:
    apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.5
    </font>

Ahh, I thought it might have made it in at this stage, but a quick search didn't reveal anything difinative.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">dpkg -l *kernel*</font>

Or indeed..... apt-cache search kernel
    Which I find handier.

Advertisement