Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

triple booting

• 08-06-2001 8:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭

i have 98/nt and a second new hard drive (blank) can i install linux on that and have triple booting? is it simple enough to do, as long as im clever enough not to format the existing hard drive? , using redhat 6.2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

You can do it, but as far as i know, you need NT to control the Master boot record.

So youd need to install win98, linux, then NT to get it to work properly.

Im not 100% sure that thats the only way, but that was how ive seen it done before. You need to do some file editing on the NT system to get it to recognise the linux partition and add it to the boot manager, there should be docs on how to do this online.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I wouldn't swear to it now, but I think you only need to have NT on the master boot partition. I think you can still use LILO or Grub as your boot loader.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by yankinlk:
    i have 98/nt and a second new hard drive (blank) can i install linux on that and have triple booting? is it simple enough to do, as long as im clever enough not to format the existing hard drive? , using redhat 6.2</font>

Yanklink,

what I did was put Linux on the second hard drive and create a boot floppy. When I want to use Linux, I insert the floppy and boot from it. This avoids Linux having to go anywhere near Windows and risk messing up the Master Boot Record. When you boot without the floppy in, the system goes straight to Windows, without giving you an option to go into Linux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Kev

if you dont want to use a boot floppy to boot all the time, while in linux run "dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=/tmp/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1" assuming you put lilo on the boot sector of the first partition of the second harddrive, then copy the file it made ( bootsect.lnx ) to a floppy or a mounted windows partition and then put it in c:\ or or where ever nt is installed and edit boot.ini and add C:\bootsect.lnx="Linux" at the end, you will then have an option to boot into linux when the nt loader comes up

Mr. Chuffy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

You can do it pretty simply and lilo can do the booting...

I've done it before with win98se installed then nt/win2k on top of that and then linux on top of that again.

Lilo loads the dos section and then you can switch between win9x and nt/win2k from there.

All in all its pretty simple to do.
    Ro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    using redhat 6.2[/B]</font>

A wee security note, be sure to get all the patches for that.
    6.2 is as holey as a six pack of nuns.
    The li0n and Ramen worms are knocking them over like flies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jimbo-name given to subscriber

I have winNT/linux with lilo booting. You have to install NT on the first partition of the first HD, the install program will not install unless this is the case. After NT is installed and running you can install linux on any other HD partition. If you want to use lilo, add the following entry to /etc/lilo.conf

other=/dev/hda1
    label=winnt
    table=/dev/hda

Save the changes and run lilo from a terminal.

If you want to use NT's loader, do the 'dd' thing someone wrote above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

yep it will do it no problem
    Lilo will be the first thing to boot.
    that will give you two options
    dos/linux
    if you select dos you will get the win2000 loader that will ask you whether you want to load winNT/2k or windows.
    if you select linux it will load linux.
    I have this setup on one of my pcs at home and havn't had a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

VM-ware smile.gif

Advertisement