Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absolute Linux

• 13-06-2001 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

I've a copy of Absolute Linux that Noims gave me last year, is that a decent enough distro for just mucking about with ?
    Be kind - I'm new.

Nil Desperandum

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

its fine depending its a standard hardware setup you have..

I always think that Red Hat Linux is the best place to start as everyone knows about and its everywhere and versions/cd's are common as muck...

Any problems ask here and we'll see if we cant get them sorted one way or another!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

There isn't really a best distro (IMHO), they all have their own advantages and disadvantages. It comes down to personal taste -- So try as many distros as you can get your hands on, a lot of the core filesystem layout will be exactly the same, most of the commands you use will be the same, etc.

If I have to use Linux, I prefer Slackware -- I think it's laid out rather cleanly. Although development on it seems to have almost stopped these days, so I'd probably go for Debian.

Whichever you use, make sure you keep up to date on whatever patches you need to apply, kill any services you don't need, etc. Just because you're on a dialup doesn't mean you won't be hax0red :) I get probes for the more common exploits daily (usually BIND), and that's on SurfNoLimits ... hmmm, you may be safe afterall :)

Advertisement