Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most loathed word of the day!

• 08-07-2005 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Verbalise - everything that's wrong with the world today can be blamed on people who use this "word."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭boidey

people that use use the term feedback incorrectly should be beaten until they apoligise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

apologise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭boidey

thanks for the feedback steve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

The word BUT!

A small but insidious word.

Such as "I understand you are frustrated BUT you need to see things from my perspective."

As a result everything that has been said prior to that has been negated or trivialised.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

plimsoll

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

More of a phrase - "going forward" as in "Going forward, we see the downsizing of your department as a positive development for us."

I'm also developing an increasing hatred for the word "like". It's redundant, like, most of the time, like and adds like, nothing to the sentence, like. Grrr.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Haha, pooka used to have a regular rant about that when I worked with him.

"Going forward? They mean 'from now on'. Why don't they just say 'from now on' ?"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

ecksor wrote:
    "Going forward? They mean 'from now on'. Why don't they just say 'from now on' ?"

It’s a bit like using the words “acceptable losses” – eg. the american army in iraq, instead of saying we killed loads of people by accident, they use the term “acceptable losses” – it’s tidy and there’s no mention of an actual dead body at the end of it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

When I was a general in the US army during the first gulf war we called that "collateral damage".

Advertisement