Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing WoodChip

Options
  • 09-07-2005 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭

Sorry - I posted this in completely the wrong forum this morning.

My sittingroom was wallpapered (very badly) over the top of woodchip by a previous owner. I want the walls in a condition that I can just paint over so what should I do? I've been told that trying to remove the woodchip will be a nightmare and probably destroy the walls. Would a steamer be up to the job do you think?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

It really does depend on how long its up and what previous paint was on it.I have stripped woodchip numberous of times and best method I have used is...

1...Get a special wallpaper stripper link

2.Use this to sort of glide over the woodchip removing the chips and you will graze some paper off as well while doing this.Just a word of warning,make sure you are using the blade right side up or it will dig into wall.Do this without putting any water/solution on.More or less do it dry.

3.Then once you are happy that you have covered most of the area using the blade,then get some warm soapy(washing liquid) or you can but stuff to mix into water and soak it well.Use an old roller sleeve to cover the wall,like as if you are rolling paint on but its water with solution or just get a decent 4inch brush to apply water.The woodchip should fly off now using the scraping blade again.

Any more advice let me know...

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Mocking Burd

Thanks for the advice mad m. The paint over the woodchip could be years old at this stage. My hall walls are in the same state so am going to try your advice on them. My sitting room is quite large (21 x 11) so I might just get someone in to do the work, because I want a good job done on it, and it's wearing me out just thinking about it!

Will let you know how I get on.

Advertisement