Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite Childhood Movie?

• 09-07-2005 12:40am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 199 ✭✭

Everyone has at least one film they loved as a child and haven't seen in ages! whats your's? you possibly cant even remember the name of it,but if u describe it someone might hit the nail on the head and put your mind at rest!!

my fave film as a kid was Howard The Duck. haven't seen it in about ten years and cant find it in any video shops,but i LOVED that crazy dwarf of a duck!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

fun bus wrote:
    my fave film as a kid was Howard The Duck. haven't seen it in about ten years and cant find it in any video shops,but i LOVED that crazy dwarf of a duck!!
    The comic book was alot better. But I did like the special effects on the alien at the end of the film.

One film that I used to rent out of the video shop constantly as a kid was Star Chaser: The Legend of Orin. It was an animated film and was sort of a rip off of Star Wars, but I thought it was great fun. I managed to track down a copy recently and I still found it very enjoyable.

Another one would be Comet Quest : The Adventures of Mark Twain. It was a feature lenght claymation movie based around a number of Mark Twain's stories, but mostly centred on Mark Twain's journey on a strange air ship to Haley's Comet. It was a very good film and I would love to see it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Well right off the top of my head I'd have to say Willow.

Well right off the top of my head I'd have to say Willow.
    One thing that always annoyed me about Willow was the fact that they had that cool bad guy with the skull mask, but underneath it he was just some guy with a beard and wasn't very impressive at all... it was a bit of a let down.

I just thought of another one... The Dark Crystal. I was pretty young when I went to see that in the cinema and got very wrapped up in storyline and I even remember shouting at the screen in fustration at the characters.. haha...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I always the aforementioned Dark Crystal and Willow. Great films altogether, and I have the Dark Crystal on DVD. Another great film from back then is Labyrinth, aswell as Legend. Lesson known animated fantasy films I loved being The Flight Of Dragons and The Last Unicorn, and my very first introduction to Miyazaki, Castle In The Sky, way back when.

Damn they had some great fantasy back then, didn't they? I remember being scared absolutely ****less! The old hag in the swamp from Legend had me, or those giant beetles in the Dark Crystal, or the Trolls from Willow. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Hocus Pocus!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hocus Pocus!

*Shudder*

That was painfully pants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Rocky 4, Kickboxer and Bloodsport

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Goonies. Watched it so many times that i practically knew every line. Got the DVD a while ago. It's as good now as it was all those years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Ania

Playboy wrote:
    Rocky 4, Kickboxer and Bloodsport
    LOL, I also loved the Rocky films and movies with Jean Claude Van Damme when I was younger, although all my teachers were amazed because I'm a girl.
    Easterns, especially movies with Bruce Lee were my absolute favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Star Wars I guess...

And seeing as I'm still relatively young, I was about 12 when Starship Troopers came out, so thats goes in there. I remember the time well, convincing my friends mother is was "12's I think"

It was possibly the single greatest movie experience I've ever had. Now, I love my gore/war/horror/sci-fi films, and there are films I love more, but SST was the definative movie experience for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Jungle Book rocked.

Lesson known animated fantasy films I loved being The Flight Of Dragons and The Last Unicorn, and my very first introduction to Miyazaki, Castle In The Sky, way back when.
    Flight of Dragons was amazing. It just had so many great characters in it. I got The Last Unicorn on DVD recently, it's still a great cartoon.. but it's got some horrible songs in it that I'd blocked out of my mind. Really terrible songs... Oh and it seems to be down for a remake to be released next year, but then again what film isn't scheduled for a remake at some stage?

(Oh, and good job moving the thread into the main films forum)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Adventures in Babysitting
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the one with beebop and rocksteady)
    American Ninja
    No Retreat No Surrender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mine were:

Labyrinth
    Project X
    The Goonies
    Adventures In Babysitting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

The Goonies...Ruth Ruth ..Baby Ruth
    Tiny Toons Vacation....Funny even now!
    Bugsy Malone...Still Love it. "So you wanna be a boxer"
    Jungle Book..Went to see it twice at the cinema. Bought the video and the Sing-a-long video too. how Sad :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

man now that i think about it my childhood was messed up...

i would love films like:

flight of the dragon, the last unicorn, dont tell mom the babysitters dead, the two gremlin films and all those other traditional kid films.

but my sister from a very young age got me onto james cameron with Terminator, Aliens (and from there the entire franchise) and then into Kubrik...I SAW CLOCKWORK ORANGE AGED 11, god knows how it must have messed me up...but i do love films.

few oldies i wish to see again but i know will be rubbish:

Pound Puppies movie (for some reason i remember it being really really dark)

The last unicorn

gee...ithink i have dug up all the rest...rom we're back to american tail to secret of nimh...*sigh* really one just has to see all of (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0089940/) movies for a complete childhood of horrors.

edit:

oh dear god!!!

http://videodetective.com/trailer-preview.asp?PublishedID=176296

HAHAHAAAAAA WORSE TRAILER EVER!

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    gee...ithink i have dug up all the rest...rom we're back to american tail to secret of nimh...*sigh* really one just has to see all of (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0089940/) movies for a complete childhood of horrors.
    I loved the Secret of Nimh and Titan AE... I really didn't like everything else inbetween.

That trailer is something else alright... I'd love to re-edit the trailer for a film like Taxi Driver with those kids in it... ha..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭NikNik

I got The Last Unicorn on DVD recently

Could you tell me where you got it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I loved the Secret of Nimh and Titan AE... I really didn't like everything else inbetween.

BUT!!!

ALL DOGS GO TO HEAVEN!?!?!?!!!???

Its ALL DOGS GO TO HEAVEN!!! How can you not like it????

it has to be at least in the top 10 best films to come out of ireland!!!

AHHH

That trailer is something else alright... I'd love to re-edit the trailer for a film like Taxi Driver with those kids in it... ha..

Scarface or trainspotting...

NikNik wrote:
    Could you tell me where you got it ?
    It's available on region 1 DVD

http://www.playusa.com/playusa.asp?page=title&r=R1&title=153700

It's probably a good deal cheaper on DVDsoon.com though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Rantorama

Always liked War Games (with Matthew Broderick)
    Haven't seen it in years though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My favourite Don Bluth film was Land Before Time. Then again i always had a thing for dinosaurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Wizard of Oz and Carebears, The Movie. Also The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Then it progressed to Labrynth. One of my fav films. Come home from school and watch it for weeks. I dunno what could be my favourite movie though. So many to choose from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Flight of the Navigator
    Home Alone
    The Goonies
    Santa Claus(1984)
    ET
    Jaws

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭samo

Although already mentioned have to concur on: -

Labyrnth - Cannot and will not picture David Bowie anyway but in that film!!
    Adventures in babysitting - I loved this although title makes it sound a touch dodgy!
    Space camp - but cant remember who's in it!
    Ghostbusters II - Remember going to the cinema with my mates for the 1st time to see it and was mad about it as loved Bobby Brown and knew all the words to the theme tune (so sad in hindsight!!)

samo wrote:
    Adventures in babysitting - I loved this although title makes it sound a touch dodgy!
    It had a better title in the US if remember correctly...

EDIT:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092513

It had the title "A Night on the Town" when it was broadcast on the TV in the UK.. I knew I'd seen it with another title.

Vincent D'Onofrio was in it.. sheesh... It's been a long time since I've seen that film. It's odd how some films get shown on television very little and some are shown all the time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

the goonies,wizard of oz,lion king.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Bambi and what was that yoke called again...Peter Pan, loved those to bits.

Never went in for the Lion King much myself. Or Beauty and the Beast.

I never liked much of the Disney stuff when I was a kid. Too many songs and they always had one annoying comedy character in them.

The Black Cauldron was one that I really did enjoy though. It wasn't like the other Disney films of the period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I enjoyed most of those films tbh. I did prefer the more bad-ass films though, ie the NInja Turtles if I felt like a spin on the wild side.

I suppose I grew up at a time when there was alot of them going around so that would have influenced my watchings and preferences.

Ninja turtels with Vanilla Ice.
    *shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭NikNik

It's available on region 1 DVD

http://www.playusa.com/playusa.asp?page=title&r=R1&title=153700

It's probably a good deal cheaper on DVDsoon.com though...

Thanks I can't wait to watch that again! It was my favourite along with
    The Neverending Story, E.T., The Labyrinth, Gremlins, Super Mario Bros, The Land Before Time, All Dogs go to Heaven
    I also used to have The Lord of the Rings the animated version - bit scary at a young age tbh but still watched it
    Also loved Dangermouse (tink it was a series tho) and Alvin and the Chipmunks

My 5 year old daughter would just love the last unicorn (had forgotten about that film!) so just checked dvd soon and its 15.98 CAD (about 10.50 euro with free shipping)

http://www.dvdsoon.com/show-title-details.xml?uid=106319 and has the magical 'in stock' status!!

I've bought the majority of the dvd's that I loved from my early years more for myself than my kids!!

And just to add:-

Adventures in babysitting for $8.98 CAD or 5.90 euro (approx!) also at dvd soon!

http://www.dvdsoon.com/show-title-details.xml?uid=5150

Happy days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

The Princess Bride
    Ghostbusters and The Godfather

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

The land before time and the Jungle book where my faves.And some movie about a family of mice that lived by a lake.

• Advertisement

samo wrote:
    My 5 year old daughter would just love the last unicorn (had forgotten about that film!) so just checked dvd soon and its 15.98 CAD (about 10.50 euro with free shipping)

http://www.dvdsoon.com/show-title-details.xml?uid=106319 and has the magical 'in stock' status!!
    Be careful though. They have great prices but when they say 'in stock' it tends to be stretching the truth a bit. It can be a week or two before they actually get around to dispatching it. But once it's in the post it doesn't take too long, and their great prices more than make up for the delays.
    Kare Bear wrote:
    And some movie about a family of mice that lived by a lake.
    That sounds like the Secret of Nimh. They lived in an old cinder block.

Hehe, am a veteran of dvd soon and there strange stock levels - although prices have risen lately so this is the 1st order they have gotten off me for the past month!!

Will probably receive the Little Unicorn in time for her 6th birthday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

*Shudder*

That was painfully pants.
    that was so bad - my dad's cinema showed it a week before it came out and still no one turned up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

my parents didnt really care what I watched when I was younger (might explain why im so ****ed up now) so here are a few of my childhood favs.

Conan The Barbarian,
    Predator,
    Terminator,
    Akira,
    Alien,
    Blade Runner,
    Time Bandits,
    The Princess Bride,
    Empire Strikes Back,
    All the Clint Eastwood ones.
    dunno , loads more

but I got to say, I always thought Willow was complete pants :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think all mine have already been said but I have to say them again.

Labrynth - What a classic fantasy adventure. It used to really scare me when I was younger. Still have it on video.

Flight Of The Navigator - Also an absolute classic movie. Have it on video as well

The Goonies - Also a great adventure film

and my childhod fav....

Ghostbusters 2 - Was the first film I ever saw in the cinema that my dad brought me to see. I was 5 and I loved it. Was addicted to ghostbusters for years and I had all the toys. Just recently bought both of them on DVD. Still as good as ever!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Oh and how could I forget SHORT CIRCUIT.

I bet it would be rubbish now but I loved it back in the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭p~b

cool runnings
    police academy
    beetlejuice
    masters of the universe
    the money pit
    big
    uncle buck
    teenage mutant ninja turtles: the secret of the ooze
    the snowman

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 199 ✭✭fun bus

QUOTE-Flight Of The Navigator - Also an absolute classic movie. Have it on video as well

I love that film!! and i couldn't even think of the name of it til i saw it written down in black and white!! it is the one with the kid, the space ship and all the adorably friendly little aliens, isnt it? why dont they show these classics on tv more?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭butters scotch

ah the goonies, it's still funny even now... memories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Hedge

Ferris Buellers Day Off
    Gremlins
    The Untouchables
    BMX Bandits
    See no Evil, Hear No Evil
    Time Bandits
    Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

and my number 1

The Cannonball Run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Bought Labyrinth on DVD the weekend (bargain at a tenner) watched it a couple of times again, I was actually surprised at how watchable it still was even by todays standards (IMO anyway).

Gave it to my little sister - might as well pass on the classics. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭film_gonzo

Mine would be..

Back to the Future
    Ghostbusters
    Gremlins 1&2 (Joe Dante what went wrong?!)
    and pretty much every Disney film I ever saw with exception to
    The Jungle Book and Robin Hood. Loved those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

The Three Amigos never left the video player in our house when I was young.
    Special mentions for Back To The Future, Moonwalker, Teenage Mutant Turtles and Short Circuit (1&2).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

I watched Home Alone 1/2 religously for several years - it got to the point where I knew the entire bloody film off by heart.I also have to mention Mighty Ducks and COOL RUNNINGS
    "how 'bout i draw a line on your head so it looks like a butt"- priceless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

Robin hood :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement