Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Resources for learning *nix from the ground up

• 15-06-2001 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

I would like to learn unix, however being a family PC with a small hard drive I can't really install a new OS so can anyone point me in the direction of a good site that goes from the basics, I have to do unix in Germany next year for the first time which is scary, so I need a good resource

ta
    Baz_

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

for a good beginning get a free unix shell somewhere
    there's been many threads about free shells before ( try telneting to shellyeah.org )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

If all you want is a good grasp of the different shell commands available to you then i'd go with any bog standard unix paperback reference, pick them up for about a fiver or thereabouts.
    That and a few weeks of messing around with a shell account will see you using it comfortably enough.

If on the other hand you want to know baout installing and the maintenance of a unix system then theres nothing better than diving straight in and installing it imo (all though it can be extremely frustrating if your as braindead as me)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Hi Baz_,

A good place to start on the web is linuxnewbie.org, it really breaks it down to basics for you. Still use it meself every now and then.

That said, the only real way to get started is, as Kali says, to actually go and do it. If you're worried about screwing up the family PC, and you have a couple or a few hundred quid to spare, you could get a second-hand box and use your current monitor with that while you get the hang of it. When you're comfortable with it then, you could set that box up as a file server, or an Internet gateway and firewall, or even both.

But don't worry, even if you don't have the spare dosh, you can still try out Linux without screwing up the Windows installation. Most of the distros now support installing into a Windows partition. In fact many of them even allow you to start on the Windows desktop, just by clicking on a Setup file.

Try Red Hat or Mandrake to get you started, Red Hat if you want to play with a shell and Mandrake if you want a good GUI. Or if you want to keep it really basic (and crap), try Corel. smile.gif

Finally, if you want to "try before you buy", drop over to the library section of linux.ie, someone will gladly burn a CD for you. Do it meself if you ask nicely enough. smile.gif

http://www.linux.ie/community/library.php

HTH,
    adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

Cygwin is a good unix-like shell that runs on Windows - you can download it from http://www.cygwin.com

[This message has been edited by Loomer (edited 16-06-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Thanks a lot for all the links guys, that's much more than I expected, ta.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Baz_:
    I have to do unix in Germany next year for the first time which is scary, </font>

/me thinks German in Unix would be scarier biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kali:
    If on the other hand you want to know baout installing and the maintenance of a unix system then theres nothing better than diving straight in and installing it imo </font>

I couldnt agree more. Ive tried about 5/6 distros in the past cpl of months. I realised id never learn anything if i didnt use it and took the chance to format my work machine and use it exclusively. Theres a 98 partition there, but only as i need to use wine to get a few windows apps going from linux.

It can be frustrating at times, but more often than not i find i can do so much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

The FreeBSD handbook... at http://www.freebsd.org

Advertisement