Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upload speeds- Ever going to increase?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

It's probably for real but I still don't think that it's a representative sample. The average amount downloaded by the 2Mb package customers is a far more useful piece of data than a single person downloading spike. Those figures are simply dust in our eyes and are not representative of the average amount used or the possible increase use of resources that would be engendered by an upload speed increase.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's probably for real but I still don't think that it's a representative sample. The average amount downloaded by the 2Mb package customers is a far more useful piece of data than a single person downloading spike. Those figures are simply dust in our eyes and are not representative of the average amount used or the possible increase use of resources that would be engendered by an upload speed increase.
    There you go Ringo6, that's about as good an explanation as you're going to get.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

bk wrote:
    Because a higher upload speed would make it more feasible for people to use VoIP, which Eircom are against.

hmm, mpeg layer 3, 192kbps OR 24KBytes/s. 128kb upload, would give you about 12kbytes a second up, thats 96kbps mp3. I don't see the problem with VoIP here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's very rare that you can upload at the full 128kpbs, I find even 80kpbs tends to saturate my connection.

Although dedicated voice codecs like Speex can do quite well in as little as 8kpbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Stark wrote:
    It's very rare that you can upload at the full 128kpbs, I find even 80kpbs tends to saturate my connection.

Although dedicated voice codecs like Speex can do quite well in as little as 8kpbs.
    Also you would have to take into account others using the line with 256 you have breathing space but with 128 you get choked by simply browsing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

How do you manage to choke 128kbps _upload_ speed when you're browsing?

The reality is that VoIP works just fine over ADSL as configured in Ireland. There will always be QoS problems whether you have an asynchronous or synchronous connection, unless you implement traffic shaping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Blaster99 wrote:
    How do you manage to choke 128kbps _upload_ speed when you're browsing?

The reality is that VoIP works just fine over ADSL as configured in Ireland. There will always be QoS problems whether you have an asynchronous or synchronous connection, unless you implement traffic shaping.

You can easily choke 128K if you are browseing media rich pages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

zuma wrote:
    You can easily choke 128K if you are browseing media rich pages.
    Not the upload, unless you're playing some weird game. However I think the OP was talking about saturating the upload while using VoIP, thus affecting the quality of the voice connection.

adam

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

also if your sending an email with a large file attachment and its using alot of the upload speed, the broadband is as good as useless as the download is completely choked too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Alot of good points made by people to say why we need greater upload speeds...

I just wish eircom didnt have such a monopoly so that they manage to force competition to deliver the same crap service as themselves :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Don't eircom advertise the fact you can send large files in seconds with eircom dsl?

Would it not be possiable to argue that its false advertising due to the fact that you can only send them at 15k/sec max and a 10MB e-mail attachment would take a good few min to actually upload and send.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Cabaal wrote:
    Don't eircom advertise the fact you can send large files in seconds with eircom dsl?

Would it not be possiable to argue that its false advertising due to the fact that you can only send them at 15k/sec max and a 10MB e-mail attachment would take a good few min to actually upload and send.

You could but then the other ISP's get hit with the same bullet, however they could argue its eircoms wholesale package.....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I will admit that 1024k/128k is a joke considering you can buy 256k/256k from almost every ISP in the UK.
    They could easily justify 256k/128k and sell that as their product but they properly sell 256k/256k so users can upload files quicker etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

that advertising about sending emails quicker is pure bs on eircoms part, before I had broadband I had crappy ISDN and it was better than my current broadband for sending large emails as I could use 128k on that and got higher speeds (16k/sec) while sending an email but on eircom broadband the most I get from the 128k upload is about 11k/sec or maybe 12k/sec on a good day. Also if im sending that email my 2mb download is as good as useless as its completely choked untill the email has finished sending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Gonzo wrote:
    that advertising about sending emails quicker is pure bs on eircoms part, before I had broadband I had crappy ISDN and it was better than my current broadband for sending large emails as I could use 128k on that and got higher speeds (16k/sec) while sending an email but on eircom broadband the most I get from the 128k upload is about 11k/sec or maybe 12k/sec on a good day. Also if im sending that email my 2mb download is as good as useless as its completely choked untill the email has finished sending.

I'd say thats to do with the overheads from PPPoE but by the looks of it

Eircom/other resellers: 1.79Mb
    Smart: 1.92Mb

I wonder who's making the effort to compensate for it? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

well i think smart should contact the invidual to downloaded those many gb in 10 days.
    i dont think the average user would go over 20gb in a month and even a heavy user 30gb. when i was upgraded to 2mb, i did not download 4 times the data per month but the same amount give or take 4 or 5 gbs, but i spent less time waiting for the download to complete.
    i am still going to use torrents, so why not increase the upload speed so i can get them even quicker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

bk wrote:
    Because a higher upload speed would make it more feasible for people to use VoIP, which Eircom are against.

eircom (my source wouldn't give up anything more so don't ask) in April this year were preparing a product to go to the market in the coming months regarding VOIP. They have pushed it back a bit because SMART ain't that smart when it comes to getting the customers. In essence they are ready with the killer solution to VOIP if and when the market looks for it or it looks like somebody else (like Skype) are getting popular here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Smart launched in Feb this year, Eircom countered in Feb or March. What eircom did in April was prepare a yelllowpack time based package at €50 a month for the unwary. Pure scumbaggery applied :(

That was launched in June to an underwhelming response planet wide .

Where is the killer app ?????

if eircom do bring out some voip broadband package with good upload speed they are gonna charge a fortune costing well beyond the affordable means of most broadband gamers while leaving the current packages stuck on 128k upload I reckon:(

all we want is the normal 256k upload for residential broadband thats the minimum standard in every other country. 256k upload would be good enough for most games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Once of the principal reasons that we haven't gone to a default 256k upload is peer to peer traffic.

We've a customer that's dloaded 120GB in a 10 day period, with their upload constantly nailed at 128k.

We do have a 2Mb/ 256k for e54.45 (inc. VAT) and free line rental. It's the basic business package.

Garfield.
    lol ive isdn and only download about 8gb a year come on what a sad sad person

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

1huge1 wrote:
    lol ive isdn and only download about 8gb a year come on what a sad sad person

Or else a very smart pirate...makeing thousands a week selling pirated Movies/Music/Games!!!
    Dont be too smug until you know a little more.

Gonzo wrote:
    if eircom do bring out some voip broadband package with good upload speed they are gonna charge a fortune costing well beyond the affordable means of most broadband gamers while leaving the current packages stuck on 128k upload I reckon:(

all we want is the normal 256k upload for residential broadband thats the minimum standard in every other country. 256k upload would be good enough for most games.

Eircom are not going to be the only company bring out VoIP services, so far almost every provider has said they will very soon
    - NTL
    - Esat BT
    - Digiweb
    etc

So while eircom may overprice it they still need to compete with the likes of NTL who can promote their product to plenty of people in Dublin, Galway & Waterford who will be more then happy to port their standard number from Eircom to their VoIP service :D (at present you can port your 01 or 051 etc PSTN eircom number to the likes of blueface)

After all with NTL you'll be able to get TV, Telephone & Internet over the same line..

On the the related subject of caps and upload speed, at present I know about 10 people who have either moved from Eircom to NTL or got NTL as their first BB package, this is only since NTL have rolled out BB in Waterford. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

I got 256k upload with digiweb and thats still crap!

ricey wrote:
    I got 256k upload with digiweb and thats still crap!

If smart ever go live in your area you could always get their 4096/512 product with 6 static IPs (described as a business product) . Its almost €150 a month including VAT though but it is the fastest DSL upload in Ireland .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

davidoco wrote:
    eircom (my source wouldn't give up anything more so don't ask) in April this year were preparing a product to go to the market in the coming months regarding VOIP. They have pushed it back a bit because SMART ain't that smart when it comes to getting the customers. In essence they are ready with the killer solution to VOIP if and when the market looks for it or it looks like somebody else (like Skype) are getting popular here.

I'd say it will be NTL in a few months who will force Eircom into VoIP. NTL have plans to launch a VoIP service by the end of the year and also expect to have all of Galway, Waterford and (maybe) Dublin BB enabled by the end of the year. So they will be a major threat to Eircom, actually a much bigger threat then Smart.

However from what you described above, it sounds like Eircom still don't understand their own market and are going to make another balls of this like they have with the time based BB product.

You see Eircom doen't need to sell a VoIP product, they can certainly make use of the technology behind the scenes to reduce costs, but their customers don't really care about the technocalities of VoIP, all the customers care about are the cheap prices of VoIP.

The reason why so many people are excitied about VoIP on NTL is that you won't have to pay the €25 line rental to Eircom anymore. Instead you just pay for the calls, thus saving you a lot of money and just one bill.

However if Eircom introduce VoIP and you still have to pay the €25 line rental on top of the cost of BB and the cost of the VoIP, then Eircom has missed the point entirely and no one is going to care about it. What Eircom needs to do is reduce the line rental by €10 and offer free call packages on top of that.

BTW Eircom already offer VoIP services to their business customers. Many of whom are already enjoying the cost savings of VoIP.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sponge Bob wrote:
    If smart ever go live in your area you could always get their 4096/512 product with 6 static IPs (described as a business product) . Its almost €150 a month including VAT though but it is the fastest DSL upload in Ireland .

Actually www.leap.ie offer SDSL products with 1m and 2m upload speeds, making them the fastest DSL upload speeds in Ireland. But in fairness these are much more expensive then Smart.

ESAT offer SDSL as well , pricing similarly high.

In fairness the SLA on these products is higher as well ,an engineer will be on site in minutes if a Leap SDSL circuit goes down.

Smart offer the fastest Asymettrical Upload speed then bk :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Sponge Bob wrote:
    ESAT offer SDSL as well , pricing similarly high.

They do? I'd say these companies would do a lot better if they could ever advertise services they offer. I couldn't find any mentioning of SDSL on btireland.com. Do you have any specific details? Unlike Smart, BT's LLU services are actually available in quite a few places.

No real details on the BT website . SDSL is available on the same 40 exchanges as their business ADSL . Punt a number into the availibility checker for ADSL and it will tell you all the available packages including SDSL .

Try

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Punt a number into the availibility checker for ADSL and it will tell you all the available packages including SDSL .

Try

May I suggest the direct link to their checker instead > http://register.iol.ie/dsl/cli_check.htm

Thank you for your enquiry.
    We are happy to inform you that the following
    Business Broadband products are available for 051xxxxxx

SDSL 2048 kbps/2048 kbps
    SDSL 1024 kbps/1024 kbps
    ADSL 2 Mbps/256 kbps
    SDSL 512 kbps/512 kbps
    ADSL 1 Mbps/256 kbps
    ADSL 512 kbps/256 kbps
    SDSL 256 kbps/256 kbps

:D:D

Advertisement